Any Vegan/Vegetarians Out There?

my dogs are raw-fed - meat and bones from local or regional, grass-fed animals.
but I realize not everyone does that.

whats more humane way to kill mass production of meat safely?

a quick, clean death.

Lot of animals at shoddy slaughterhouse were still alive while getting butchered. That's just so wrong on many levels.

I only mentioned the b complexes because that is the problem of the majority of veg type diets, not lack of protein.

I was veg for 8 years or so, no real problems. That does not mean that anyone else would have the same experience. Blood type, age, genetics may indeed be factors. I grew up eating a mostly veg diet with meat as a seasoning with a weekly dinner of fried chicken (from our own flock) or a burger. Of course in the south, the meat preferred for seasoning was pork. We had meat, but a bit of ham lasted a very long time.

Then I moved to Texas and still wanted to have a basic diet so I did not eat meat. It was cheaper, easier and tastier for me. That would never do for my husband. He likes meat every day, often 3 times a day if you count dairy. Eggs, cheese and milk for breakfast, meat, cheese on bread for lunch, a hunk'o meat for dinner. That is west Texas.

The whole time I was vegetarian my cholesterol never dropped but I had great skin and was nicely slim. My doc said it is "Southern Congenital Cholesterol". hahaha

Another reason I did like being veg was the recipes were great. The meals seemed more colorful, even a casserole such as meatless moussaka or layered eggplant and tomato bake was superb.

Everyone whoa whoa whoa! please! I started a thread to help other vegan/vegetarians to reach out to one another, maybe give tips on foods and recipes, not bash between the issues. If I had wanted to do that I would have posted this in the debate section.

I believe some of us can agree to agree, as well as disagree.

Now, please, can we just talk about food and leave the "m" word behind the door? I started this for support, not bashing or debating.

Wirelessly posted

okay I will start new thread in debate section so this will be support and recipes exchange and new one will be debate so you can request moderator to move some posts in thread to there?

Everyone whoa whoa whoa! please! I started a thread to help other vegan/vegetarians to reach out to one another, maybe give tips on foods and recipes, not bash between the issues. If I had wanted to do that I would have posted this in the debate section.

I believe some of us can agree to agree, as well as disagree.

Now, please, can we just talk about food and leave the "m" word behind the door? I started this for support, not bashing or debating.

A lot of people DID come to the thread to find recipes. However people didn't expect to defend their lifestyle. That's why vegetarians and vegans have to be careful with the language they use.

In fact, you are first one who sent the topic spiraling in post #47.

I would of simply said "ok don't worry about it. I can make my own food"

If the slaughter house had glass windows, everyone would be vegetarians.

It has been established once the original topic creator has gone political, usually it doesn't go the direction the creator wants it to go. This is the nature of derailing.

Well............. I was a vegan for a while. I ate a TON of protein every day and it got to the point where it was too expensive.

I had memory issues, and the week after i started eating meat again, things were back to normal.

I dont know how to explain that.

Personally, this is why I never went vegan in the first place; humans are omnivores.

That said, I think the average American eats way too much meat in their diet so I'm trying to limit my meat intake to no more than 3 or four oz per day and to stick with lean meat. My diet is largely vegetarian with a little meat added to it. I tend to get ill if I eat dairy products (non lacoste free) or fatty stuff (meats like ribs, cream, and butter) everyday. I can tolerate small amounts of both fatty stuff and dairy stuff though.

ya. and we're talking in specific.

oh? that's new to me. I'm a bear hugger. Bears are omnivores but their diet is mostly vegetation.

If an animal is mostly meat eater but will eat plants for survival.... that's a carnivore.

Believe it or not - most omnivore's diet is mostly vegetation. That goes for grizzly bears too.

Personally, I think humans ate very little meat in the past and their diet was largely vegetatarian in the past.

Personally, this is why I never went vegan in the first place; humans are omnivores.

That said, I think the average American eats way too much meat in their diet so I'm trying to limit my meat intake to no more than 3 or four oz per day and to stick with lean meat. My diet is largely vegetarian with a little meat added to it. I tend to get ill if I eat dairy products (non lacoste free) or fatty stuff (meats like ribs, cream, and butter) everyday. I can tolerate small amounts of both fatty stuff and dairy stuff though.

Actually, even obesity is soaring in places where people eat nothing BUT meat; as well as many vegetarian-friendly countries.

The most recent change they all have in common is refined sugar and vegetable oil.

Taking B-complex vitamins can turn your urine NEON yellow or bright yellow. It is like eating glow sticks.

Actually, even obesity is soaring in places where people eat nothing BUT meat; as well as many vegetarian-friendly countries.

The most recent change they all have in common is refined sugar and vegetable oil.

That's true. My reason for limiting meats has to do with both my cholestrol count and my kidney disease. I will admit that I may need to limit the amount of protein (meat and beans) that I eat down the road if I don't take care of myself. I just didn't feel the need to disclose the reason why at first.

I think increased intake meat especially high fat meats is part if not all of the reason behind the rising count of obesity. Also, we are much more sedentary than we were 110 years ago before the advent of cars and that is likely a big factor in the rising obesity around the world. Refined sugar doesn't help any either. Even 60 years ago, people didn't eat a whole a lot of meat so last week I surfed the Net for old recipes to get ideas of how people ate but I think I would be better off looking thru old cookbooks books at my library since people seems to be biased toward meat laden recipes on the internet.

It just shows you that you've consumed too much B-complex vitamins. It happened to me before.

EDIT: I took one, and it came out that way.

That's true. My reason for limiting meats has to do with both my cholestrol count and my kidney disease. I will admit that I may need to limit the amount of protein (meat and beans) that I eat down the road if I don't take care of myself. I just didn't feel the need to disclose the reason why at first.

I think increased intake meat especially high fat meats is part if not all of the reason behind the rising count of obesity. Also, we are much more sedentary than we were 110 years ago before the advent of cars and that is likely a big factor in the rising obesity around the world. Refined sugar doesn't help any either. Even 60 years ago, people didn't eat a whole a lot of meat so last week I surfed the Net for old recipes to get ideas of how people ate but I think I would be better off looking thru old cookbooks books at my library since people seems to be biased toward meat laden recipes on the internet.

Well, yes, but I was thinking of places like Siberia where there are no grains or vegetables, and they are still virtually non-existent today. They are usually quite slim; until recently with the introduction of pre-packaged food and beverages. That in itself is really particular.

Well, you already established you are diabetic. Diabetes is hard on the kidneys, and the kidneys' job is to filter excess protein and toxins-- assuming there's nothing else inteferring with it. I don't think people realize how compromised diabetic people are, so they may not think about it. The rest... is confidential, no?

As far as recipe-books, they are merely reflection of the person's economic status. Meat for the most was historically was only made available to elites in agrarian societies up until factory-farming made it accessible to everyone.

However for people who live in hunter-gatherer societies, the opposite is true: dried grains and legumes are things to be hoarded since if you can afford to keep them securely, since they usually have to be imported, then you are blessed with being able to leisurely see the next season.

I read about that - how traditional and subsistance diets have gotten more influenced by Western/processed food, in areas like traditional Inuit land where the kids in particular have more access to things like tv and pre-packaged items have become more available.

Well, yes, but I was thinking of places like Siberia where there are no grains or vegetables, and they are still virtually non-existent today. They are usually quite slim; until recently with the introduction of pre-packaged food and beverages. That in itself is really particular.

Well, you already established you are diabetic. Diabetes is hard on the kidneys, and the kidneys' job is to filter excess protein and toxins-- assuming there's nothing else inteferring with it. I don't think people realize how compromised diabetic people are, so they may not think about it. The rest... is confidential, no?

As far as recipe-books, they are merely reflection of the person's economic status. Meat for the most was historically was only made available to elites in agrarian societies up until factory-farming made it accessible to everyone.

However for people who live in hunter-gatherer societies, the opposite is true: dried grains and legumes are things to be hoarded since if you can afford to keep them securely, since they usually have to be imported, then you are blessed with being able to leisurely see the next season.

That's quite correct. If i recall correctly, King Henry the 8 became very obese.. Queen Anne was said to be obese in her later years. she was so swollen with dropsy that her coffen was as wide as she was tall. Nowadays, dropsy would be called edema due to heart failure though other causes could be possible. Swelling and edema is quite common among the very obese btw.

Back