Any Macromedia guru's in this forum?

Flux

Reaction score
Hey, guys! For the last two days since I've been a member, I havent seen much talk about macromedia MX, Avid, Adobe After Affect or 3dswift (I am still reading threads, playing catch up). Ok, except for one thread which mentioned that macromedia is soley for entertainment use which is not entirely true. Thank to broadband and Wifi, the future looks mighty bright. So I leave you with this question, are there and macromedia guru or new media designers in this forum?

Flux

I'm not exactly a Macromedia guru. I have used several programs such as Director, Fireworks, Flash, and Dreamweaver. I'm not exactly what you would call a whiz at these programs, but I'm usually better with Adobe Photoshop.

Last edited:
illustrator said:
I use Dreamweaver alot.

I stop use Flash and Firework.
I rarely use Dreamweaver. I'll use it if I want to make something quickly. Afterwards, I'll clean up the coding by hand using UltraEdit or Notepad.

As for Flash, I never really use it. I don't have the need for it at this time. When I do, I'll get to work on it.

As for Fireworks, I use that more often. It's easier than Adobe Imageready. In Fireworks, you can modify each frame any way you want and keep them separate. In Imageready, you have frames too but you have to tell each frame what layer you want to use. I could have 10 layers used for 10 frames. For the 1st frame, I have to hide the 2nd to 10th layer. For the 2nd frame, I have to hide the 1st and 3rd to 10th layer.... etc. Ugh! However, Imageready is pretty handy for conversion of video clips to animated GIFs! :thumb:

Hey, VamPyroX & illustrator!

I too, use Dreamweavers MX and fireworks. In fact, I use all of the apps from the Macromedia studio kit except for 'Freehands'. In case if you guys havent tried MX studio 2004, check out the free 30 day trail just to get an idea what it's like. From my experience, there are no major upgrade in MX 2004. Tho, there are some nice features such as video stream (flash) and CSS format (Dreamweavers). I am still playing with this version (23 days left), will know more as I go along.

Do you guys have any latest projects? Are there any reason for not using flash anymore? What version of Dreamweavers you guys are using?

VamPyroX: I am not an expert on fireworks, tho I use it every once and awhile. Mostly I use Adobe photoshop 7. They both are useful, just that photoshop was my first and am used to their navigator.

all and all, with flash player 7 (being 8 times faster than player 6) you get videos and heavier apps running smooth like water! This what makes flash fun again. The only barriers are 56kers not being able to access these apps. 70 percent of the americans still using it but broadband is growing, baby!

Flux

Hey up u all!!

As a web developer for 8 years, I always use Macromedia tools (Authorware,Dreamweaver and Flash). Currently I use dreamweaver MX version and I really love it! save me extensive time!! especially doing the database stuff!! I've not tried DW 2004 trial yet, although if MX 2004 is ready to release and of course I will use it!

For graphics I always use Photoshop 7, I've tried firework once and I dont found it very interested.

Guess I'm an Macromedia avid!

TTFN

Hey, Knoble!

Dreamweavers is indeed cool! Here is the free trail to download: http://macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver

I noticed you mentioned avid. I use Avid express DV and loving it. However, I think Adobe Premire Pro is easier to use but avid gives a more pro cut.

Flux

hi Flux

Glad we likes Dreamweaver!

When I said 'Avid' and it means 'great fan' sorry for confused u but I did tried 'Avid' software long while ago thought it's pretty good, like you said Adobe premiere is most better and I agree with u.

Flux said:
Hey, guys! For the last two days since I've been a member, I havent seen much talk about macromedia MX, Avid, Adobe After Affect or 3dswift (I am still reading threads, playing catch up). Ok, except for one thread which mentioned that macromedia is soley for entertainment use which is not entirely true. Thank to broadband and Wifi, the future looks mighty bright. So I leave you with this question, are there and macromedia guru or new media designers in this forum?

Flux

im flash mx pro. :sure:

I have Macromedia Studio MX. I am waiting for the Apple to send me a new G5 desktop computer and a LCD monitor. (Apple sold over 100,000 G5 desktop computer since nearly end of summer.) When I get my computer and get started to work on MX, I could share the information with you guys. Actually, I have a laptop and I do not want to work on it because the tool boxes are cramped on the screen. I am impressed that MX is popular now, even little better than GoLive in some way. One thing that I still do not understand about a HTML Validation.

I created my sister's very basic website for her business in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I converted it from GoLive to Dreamweaver.
(http://www.capecodbedandbarn.com) It is only one page for now.

webexplorer said:
I have Macromedia Studio MX. I am waiting for the Apple to send me a new G5 desktop computer and a LCD monitor. (Apple sold over 100,000 G5 desktop computer since nearly end of summer.) When I get my computer and get started to work on MX, I could share the information with you guys. Actually, I have a laptop and I do not want to work on it because the tool boxes are cramped on the screen. I am impressed that MX is popular now, even little better than GoLive in some way. One thing that I still do not understand about a HTML Validation.

I created my sister's very basic website for her business in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I converted it from GoLive to Dreamweaver.
(http://www.capecodbedandbarn.com) It is only one page for now.

Hola!

Havent worked with 'GoLive' althrough I heard some positive things. Anyhow, what a way to go! The G5 Mac is really nice. Once you get it, hope you don't mind sharing your experiening. With the G5 being the fastest computer in the world (for now), you'll be able to create some kick-ass motion graphic using macromedia. Oh, oh and I am just imaging you're using the ichat software via LCD! How many inches?

Like your website. I ought to visit CapeCod someday.

regards,

Flux

h20polob0y said:
im flash mx pro. :sure:

what's wrong with you, man? You are beginning at Flash, since I notice all of your work are heavy bytes. you need to ask your professor to help you how to reduce the memory to match for dial-up only. 1 MB or less will be great.

Keep practice...

illustrator said:
what's wrong with you, man? You are beginning at Flash, since I notice all of your work are heavy bytes. you need to ask your professor to help you how to reduce the memory to match for dial-up only. 1 MB or less will be great.

Keep practice...

I suppose this message is directly to H2O. However, here are my thoughts. Flash is no fun on Dial-up connection, even if you design an app 1mb or less. Dail-up is very well on it's way to extinct! Tho, less than 17 percent of the american's household are using broadband connection. So by 2007 to 2010 - say good by to dail-up! (FYI - China and UK are two years ahead of us with broadband - Over 50% household)

anyhow, my point is, you can really appreciate flash using broadband with apps over 3MB! Throw Video streaming in the mix, you've got 'New Media'.

Flux

MX Guru

Hey Flux, Macromedia is an awesome software developer. I can't think of any other software developer put all awesome "tools" and "resources" including working one app to other app seamlessly, effectively and productively. Therefore, this get web development project more quickly: making more $ in less time. However, most of MX products are pretty much high-end, very professional quality apps widely used by experts such as web designers and developers all across the board in web design industry.

As for your question, I am pretty much expert in DWMX (on OSX platform, that is). I am starting to learn using Flash MX and haven't really get around to it or getting my hands "dirty" using Flash as yet. It is quite powerful and can be very complicated to start with. Unless you have visual and graphic design experience, that will help somewhat.

I have seen some nice Flash websites... but often found that Flash designers over-do with their design in Flash projects. Keep that in mind, better to keep Flash files as small as much as possible, the better.

In addition to DWMX and Flash MX, I also use Fireworks MX... very nice. There is lot of ongoing misunderstanding and misled or get wrong idea 'bout what Fireworks really do for you as designers. Fireworks MX is "web graphical-based application" which can do both: bitmap-based and vector-based. Photoshop is a bitmap-based and doesn't understand vector-based files. That is where Macromedia steps in and created new software from ground up. You guess right, that is called Fireworks a few years ago.
In addition to Fireworks, Flash MX is a vector-based, just so you know. But you can import and install bitmap (image files) into Flash by some brilliant techninque, though. Again, keep small files as much as possible.

With Flash, you can even import movies into it. Again, movie files tend to be very huge files... so be careful with that. Same situation with sound/music files (we don't use it in our shoes. LOL) But I do know that music files also tend to be very large files, too. Again, be careful with that.

Before I switched to Macromedia Studio MX (that comes with few awesome applications: DWMX, Flash MX, Fireworks MX, Freehand MX and Cold Fusion MX) last year, I used to use Adobe GoLive in the past. It was once good web authoring software. But then, Dreamweaver MX became more popular than ever before. I still use Adobe Photoshop myself, along with Adobe InDesign. I used to use Adobe PageMaker, but then I decided to take a bold action by switching to InDesign - I must say that it is quite very powerful professional layout app big time!

I guess that is about it for now... feel free to ask any questions you'd like to know more about Macromedia stuff.

What is HTML (or CSS or even XHTML) validation?

For those who do not understand the essential function of "validator" rule in web pages coding. It is IMPORTANT to understand what does it do for you and to your website.

HTML, along with CSS, XHTML, validation is designed to check with your web page codes to be compliant, and friendlier to all kinds of web browsers and platforms including Windows, OSX, even old Mac using legay Mac OS 9 or older, Unix, Linux and SUN and others, so that it can be more accessible to Internet users.

However, please bear that in your mind, there is other kind of validator for Accessibility. What does it meant to you? Well, this particular kind of validation process to check all HTML codes to make sure that nothing being missed or "overlooked" by web designers or developers. Unfortunately, the majority of web designers and developers don't pay attention to it that much.

They tend to forgot untapped market - visually impaired Internet users that use special web browsers that "read" and speak the information aloud to visually impaired users. It is a bit more technical and complicated in dealing with Accessibility issue and its "relationship" with the Internet. If
you notice that most governmental agencies and companies that receive federal monies, it is required to be included for Accessibility on the Internet.

To get more information about validation and accessiblity issues, you will find more thoroughly, detailed information avaliable at Macromedia website. If you look into it, look for "Developer" navigation, and there are lot more "sub-menu" selection on right-end side of website for you to look into and dig further. Macromedia did this nicely.

I can't think of any other software developers devoted lot of resource and tool all together under one company - which means you will find virtually all Macromedia products are included with validation and accessibility codes. To make it work, this require some understanding, practice and at least have hands-on experience to make it work nicely, coolly and professionally.

I have been looking for some books about SQL database for Macromedia Studio MX 2004 - Mac OS X. ColdFusion only works with IBM PC. I do not know how to use the Dreamweaver's link to a database such as saving peoples' messages. It seems that you know the answer.

(Is ColdFusion related databases, right?)

Another subject about Dreamweaver MX 2004, I cannot find a way to get rid old names on "Recent an Item" list because I deleted my old websites. The old names are still in the list. Isn't that stupid?!

... About your ? re: SQL and Coldfusion, etc

Hi Webexplorer,

As for your question about data-driven application using with Macromedia Studio MX 2004 for OSX, and in the case of your situation with Cold Fusion MX 2004, you surely can operate data-driven application on your OSX and install Coldfusion MX 2004 (Developer Edition only). I do know that they have Coldfusion MX 2004 (and legacy version of CF MX for Mac with Developer Edition only).

In order to install and make it work on your Mac, you need to download CF file through Macromedia's CF download site. Please let me know if you have trouble finding specific download and I would be very happy to look it for you and give you specific URL address for you to download it. Be kindly advise, it is really HUGE file by any means. So if you are lucky to have the access to cable broadband modem svcs such as Road Runner or Time Warner Cable broadband, then it is cool!

Since OSX is operating in the hood of UNIX-based enviornment, we don't really see UNIX in front of our Mac. But there is really UNIX operating system behind the hood of your Mac unknowingly.

I know a couple of people experienced some sorta of install CF files (because these files are Java files and very tricky installation). It is kinda of very advanced installation techinque - if your already knowing how to use Termial typing UNIX command to install CF files, then it is cool. Again, please refer to installation and guideline as provided by CF files along with "read me files".

Cold Fusion is quite powerful database application and server application. if you already had some hands dirty working with PHP, MySQL or other similar applications, you'd find Cold Fusion easier to work with.

And, CF have lot of flexibility to work with different kinds of application servers and data source such as PHP, XML, Java, J2EE, and namely a few as an example. You can even work with your Flash and Cold Fusion all together.

Please understand and know that, in the case of CF for OSX files, it is ONLY for developer edition for evaluation purpose and testing. If you really like it, you can purchase full retail of Cold Fusion server application which can be installed on your Mac or perhaps at your web hosting service provider(s).

Please note that not all web hosting providers offer Cold Fusion application server, because it is very expensive application. However, you can look around and shop around. If you can't find one, I know of few web hosting providers that offer these options.

I take that Coldfusion is pretty much high-end and high-powered server application for obvious reason.

Please note that SQL application server have some serious security breaches going on. So be aware about that. I assume that you are aware of it yourself. :)

I hope this help cover some angles of pointers and frame of references to your consideration and guideline. However, if you still have problem, let me know.

Best regards and cheers, ventiCM :)

webexplorer said:
I have been looking for some books about SQL database for Macromedia Studio MX 2004 - Mac OS X. ColdFusion only works with IBM PC. I do not know how to use the Dreamweaver's link to a database such as saving peoples' messages. It seems that you know the answer.

(Is ColdFusion related databases, right?)

I am impressed that you know about the software.

I am embarrassed myself -- unfortunately for me, I have no experience on PHP, SQL, UNIX, Java, or CF. I have read about understanding how to use a MySQL or PHP, but it does not have good examples to show us where to put a line in a source file. (i.e. my html source on Dreamweaver) I cannot believe that there are more things to do in order to run a database (or data-driven application) on a website.

(I did not realize that dir, del, mkdir, rm, cd, find, mv, a few names are part of UNIX. I had an IBM PC and used to run on UNIX to open/execute my files because my computer does not come with a window software. I cannot remember now how to use the UNIX.)

I have a DSL service, and I could try to download the CF file. I am sort of afraid to use the Terminal because I only have one computer. I could do that if I have another Apple computer. Actually, I have an old PowerComputer Tower Pro, but it is not working. I think the video card died recently after I moved the computer in another room - I don't know.

I cannot believe that the SQL application server has serious security problems.

I currently have a Macromedia Studio MX 2004, Photoshop 5.5, and Fetch. I also have (free) MySQL, phpMyAdmin, CocaMySQL, and Xsql - but I have not installed them yet - these came from Apple's website in the 3rd party software section. I do not know much about them because I have not started anything to create a database.

Is this what you called a data-driven application such a database (i.e. SQL, MySQL, etc)?

What would you suggest me to learn or start, in order, with?

P.S. I thought that the Flash is only for graphic motion (or photo motion).

Ongoing discussion about MM CFMX 2004

Hey webexplorer,

First of all, don't be embarrassed yourself. You are not alone. We all go through everyday learning new stuff. (smile) As you are, you are not alone. I haven't really get my hands dirty working with PHP4 and MySQL. I stay away from Java especially applets (it is so annoying!). Even tho, I have installed PHP4, MySQL and Apache2. Though, as you know, every OSX and Mac comes with PHP, MySQL and legacy version of Apache (not Apache2).

In my wish list and "To Do" sometime during 2004, I would like to learn more about Cold Fusion because I have been hearing that it is really good app and server app. Please note that if you "coded" CF tags in your html source of your web pages, you also need to have Cold Fusion server application up running in order to run or process or perform whatever your web pages' html/CF tags" requests back forth between web server (Apache and CF server as well).

If you go to one of Barnes Noble bookseller stores in your town or near one of those major cities near your hometown, you'd be surprised how many books all about Cold Fusion references. There are so many titles, reference and topics regarding Cold Fusion... and there are so many heavy, very thick CF books.

Well, you guess wrong about what Flash MX 2004 can do for you. (smile) As you are, I once thought that Flash is only for dazzling, cool Flash site with 'swoosh' movement of content and the like. Prior to Flash 5 in the past do not work or wasn't capable of creating 'data-driven' app within Flash 5 working with MySQL, or PHP, or other database applications. When Macromedia introduced "MX" and add "MX" to all of software application and introduced Macromedia Studio MX, that was when Flash MX have built-in JavaScript known as ActionScript. This allows you to be more creative and do MORE than just doing some dazzling animation movement of Flash files on the Internet. With Actionscript enabled in your Flash, the .AS files (ActionScript source files), you can do anything possible. ActionScript can even do some awesome dazzling movement of Flash objects within Flash or SWF file (which means less work or making file lot smaller than ever before). However, ActionScript programming is a bit advanced, high-end approach. Once you have some experience and experiments with Flash MX 2004, then you'd feel more comfortable working with ActionScript eventually. Once you're comfortable working with ActionScript and Flash, you'd be able to do more and maxmize out of Flash MX 2004 working with data-driven website and/or working with database servers etc including PHP4, MySQL, J2EE (Java 2 Enterprise Edition) and the like.

What I meant by data-driven site, there are two kinds of websites: static and data-driven websites. Static website are plain simple sites loaded with images and html sources. Data-driven websites work with different kind of database servers and data source files and the like. Data-driven can be anything having to do with MySQL or XML or SOAP... You wouldn't believe this, there are endless possibilities and options. Therefore you have greater flexibility to pick whatever database app that you feel more comfortable and go after it. And of course, it all depends on what clients' requirement, need and want.

Finally, with your last question, I would suggest that you start to play and do some experiments with one of those database apps and find out what works best for you... and focus more on what you do the best because of your comfort level with whatever database application and data-driven website projects. And I strongly encourage you to browse around at Barnes and Noble Bookseller store and take a look at one of those books. There are great introduction books about MySQL, PHP and the like. I think it is called Visual Quick Start books... And there are books published by Macromedia Press as well. So you should be able to find books and browse.

You should be expected that you might be somewhat overwhelmed with all information in front of you at bookstore or working with one of database application or something like that. It is perfect natural part of learning cyle. Unless you have some sort of computer programming classes you have taken in the past, then you should be able to learn and to code relatively a bit easier than those who have never taken computer programming classes. But I know that my statement that is inaccurate especially someone who never work or used with computer, it doesn't mean that that person can't learn. but it takes some time, practice and do some experiments to make it work for that person who never work with computer or never took computer classes in the past. And each individual is different from others. So, I'd just leave at that as is. (smile)

I hope that help answer to some of your questions. Feel free to let me know if you need some help. Have a great weekend, webexplorer. Cheers, ventiCM

webexplorer said:
I am impressed that you know about the software.

I am embarrassed myself -- unfortunately for me, I have no experience on PHP, SQL, UNIX, Java, or CF. I have read about understanding how to use a MySQL or PHP, but it does not have good examples to show us where to put a line in a source file. (i.e. my html source on Dreamweaver) I cannot believe that there are more things to do in order to run a database (or data-driven application) on a website.

(I did not realize that dir, del, mkdir, rm, cd, find, mv, a few names are part of UNIX. I had an IBM PC and used to run on UNIX to open/execute my files because my computer does not come with a window software. I cannot remember now how to use the UNIX.)

I have a DSL service, and I could try to download the CF file. I am sort of afraid to use the Terminal because I only have one computer. I could do that if I have another Apple computer. Actually, I have an old PowerComputer Tower Pro, but it is not working. I think the video card died recently after I moved the computer in another room - I don't know.

I cannot believe that the SQL application server has serious security problems.

I currently have a Macromedia Studio MX 2004, Photoshop 5.5, and Fetch. I also have (free) MySQL, phpMyAdmin, CocaMySQL, and Xsql - but I have not installed them yet - these came from Apple's website in the 3rd party software section. I do not know much about them because I have not started anything to create a database.

Is this what you called a data-driven application such a database (i.e. SQL, MySQL, etc)?

What would you suggest me to learn or start, in order, with?

P.S. I thought that the Flash is only for graphic motion (or photo motion).

Back