any deaf rock climber ?

I don't really climb rocks, though through my hikings I have met a few obstacles which required me to do a bit bouldering work to continue on the path. I wouldn't consider it as rock climbing though.

I am thinking about taking a rock climbing course at the University this autumn, and I know of one interpreter who mentioned to me recently that she does interpret rock climbing courses. I thought that was really cool, and it really made it seem more possible for me to enrol in rock climbing class this autumn.

Deafclimber, if you do come to SLC this autumn, maybe you can teach me a few tricks. I just hope all the snow will be gone by then! LOL It snowed again today in the mountains, even in June.

k75, yea i ll keep ya posted when the time ll get close to the date for my trip to SLC. my friend from co. should inform me anytime whenever his schedule will be better for me to come over then we will drive to SLC. We may go to Devil's tower and Black Hills after SLC's trip.

k75, u wud have fun to take the course at school. SURE ! i can teach ya some tricks. it is not hard to learn something but knowledging the safety is very important ! :)

i talked to my sis in law.. the deaf climber is abt 30 yrs old... i think she lives in wva or md.. i will ask again... my sis was explaining how she communicate with her when my sis was up on the cliff... by tugs on rope. it was interesting.

go to wyoming. it is wonderful my aunt lives by sherdian.. her backyard is ummm some kind of canyon between wyo and montana. cant remmy.. been yrs ago I went to wyoming....I'll try to think of a name. Cheers.

I took rock climbing class at Gallaudet few years ago and loved it.... But I don't have the climbing equipments and etc but if I could borrow then I would love to climb again!

Roam4Life said:
I took rock climbing class at Gallaudet few years ago and loved it.... But I don't have the climbing equipments and etc but if I could borrow then I would love to climb again!

if you happen to live in omaha, then there are 2 climbing gym in there. i think one of them is YMCA or something i cant remmy. my friend who used to live in omaha informed me last year. if u live in lincoln and want to know about that, i can find climbing gym for ya. :)

downing said:
i talked to my sis in law.. the deaf climber is abt 30 yrs old... i think she lives in wva or md.. i will ask again... my sis was explaining how she communicate with her when my sis was up on the cliff... by tugs on rope. it was interesting.

go to wyoming. it is wonderful my aunt lives by sherdian.. her backyard is ummm some kind of canyon between wyo and montana. cant remmy.. been yrs ago I went to wyoming....I'll try to think of a name. Cheers.

yea if my partner and i dont see eachother on rocks, we communicate by tugging the rope. it works.. :)

ahh deaf gal in there ? i went to WV on memorial weekend. dang it ! it wud be cool to have her with us on climbing.

ahh. you should have stopped by since i do not live very far from WVA... have you tried Franklin WVA... awesome cliffs up there. I am sure you would have a blast climbing w my sis in law.

We just went to Franklin, NC...near Clayton, GA.. I am sure you were nearby too. haha. small world eh?

I used to be a rock climber in my 20's and I did places like Red Rock Park.

Richard

downing said:
ahh. you should have stopped by since i do not live very far from WVA... have you tried Franklin WVA... awesome cliffs up there. I am sure you would have a blast climbing w my sis in law.

We just went to Franklin, NC...near Clayton, GA.. I am sure you were nearby too. haha. small world eh?

yup i climbed at seneca rocks near franklin... it is not the cliff. it is just layers of rocks... u can see it at both side. :)

Nesmuth said:
I used to be a rock climber in my 20's and I did places like Red Rock Park.

Richard

ahh, you gave up for marriage eh ? just kidding..

do you mean red rocks in las vegas ?

Yes Red Rock Park, actually Red Rock Canyon, 45 mins west from sin city. Its a lot more than a bunch of big red rocks. There's history on these rocks too. The red rocks could hold water for a long time and thats the reason there's plenty of cave art on it.

redrocks.jpg

And I mostly done Mt. Lowe and the San Gabriel Mountains. I'm planning on a day hike into the San Gabriels maybe next week.

Richard

nesmuth, awesome... i m thinking about to fly to sin city for climbing at red rocks in march of 2006. if i ll be there, wud u like to climb again ?

I'd be happy to join you. But I gotta shed half of my weight. And a part of the red rocks is a complete vertical climb w/o any tools except for reisin. But I'd settle for a steep hike starting at the sandstone quarry on the far left of the rocks (the tan rocks) and the tan rocks are worth the look and feel too.

I want to add that City Beach has one of the biggest rock climbing gyms I've ever seen and the one in North California is frequented by deaf people for other events than climbing.

Richard

have ya climbed zion ? my sis did. she loved every moment of it. she did climb somewhere in washington or was it oregon. hmm i can't remmy.

downing said:
have ya climbed zion ? my sis did. she loved every moment of it. she did climb somewhere in washington or was it oregon. hmm i can't remmy.

that is cool... no i havent tried in zion. yet i might go to moab this year. i really enjoy traveling in west for climbing. my favorite place to climb is red river gorge that is outside of lexington, ky. it has over 3000 routes... that was where we had our first deaf climbers gathering in june of 2004. i wud say 11 or 12 deaf climbers hanging on the rocks. we had a blast at there. we will try to do again in 2006. we failed not to have the gathering this year(2005) because no one could host the gathering while i had my shoulder injuried. ugh...

Nesmuth said:
I'd be happy to join you. But I gotta shed half of my weight. And a part of the red rocks is a complete vertical climb w/o any tools except for reisin. But I'd settle for a steep hike starting at the sandstone quarry on the far left of the rocks (the tan rocks) and the tan rocks are worth the look and feel too.

I want to add that City Beach has one of the biggest rock climbing gyms I've ever seen and the one in North California is frequented by deaf people for other events than climbing.

Richard

sure we can find easy route like 5.6 or less i like vertical climbing. i had some talks with my friends who went to there many times and they wud advise me where to go...

citybeach.. that is cool ! i m not crazy about plastics. i rarely climb in gyms like once a year. lol. i like real rocks. plus i love leading in climbing with quickdraws or pros.

my sis admit that the west has the best cliffs than here in east....I dunno why... she is going out camping and rock climbing today til sunday.. I wonder where......

:smoking:

yea that is individual climber's preference. i love the sandstone the most.

ahh tmw i ll go to sand rock in northeast alabama for climbing if the weather ll cooperate with me. :(

yeah it is same,,, my sis is worried abt weather because it started to rain here a lot lately. hope it doesnt rain since i need to go shopping! lol.

I climb a bit myself.. For the last year I've been attending the local climbing gym on average 3 to 4 days a week and before that I climbed on and off for around two years. I do enjoy it a lot and have recently started bouldering outdoors a little bit. The trip sounds cool but I might not have the funds or time since I'm a poor college student..

Back