Anxiety and Labyrinthitis?

When I was going through severe depression, I would have something that represented "my happy place" and for me, it was a picture my father took of a palm tree with the inter-coastal and the island of Palm Beach in the background. Now that I am here near that location, I need to find another item for "my happy place".

Wherever you have felt comfortable and safe in the past will work. Its a very personal decision as to where you choose.

I've been an anxious person for a very long time, I hate pressure putting on me, e.g somebody putting me on the spot and asking me questions, I worry about everything all the time, there's not a day that goes by that I'm worry free. I've no idea why but there is a lot of things that makes me anxious, some can be related to my deafness and some of it I don't know why. Even at 5 years old, I was very stressed whenever my teachers asked me a question in class.

Just my 2p.

So, a question:

Has anyone tried yoga, either Hatha or Meditation or both?

If so, has it in any way helped?

I love yoga, in part because I'm hyper-mobile. :P Hot yoga was the best.:cool2:

I use meditation and find it helps. In fact, I actually wrote a published book on it. It's out of print now, but copies still can be found, and pretty cheaply. The Meditation Sourcebook: Meditation for Mortals.

I focused on the fact that most people THINK they can't meditate because they have busy minds.

So, a question:

Unable to do yoga, but I do an adaptive Tai Chi and I do meditation when I can. Luckily, I listened to a lot of the tapes on meditation and I have the soothing sounds and such in my head to remember since I can no longer hear. I can put on some soothing Chopin on the Windows Media Player and have the visualizations set for an equalizer and go from there.

I use meditation and find it helps. In fact, I actually wrote a published book on it. It's out of print now, but copies still can be found, and pretty cheaply. The Meditation Sourcebook: Meditation for Mortals.

I focused on the fact that most people THINK they can't meditate because they have busy minds.

I found it ranging in price for a used one from Barns and Noble at $1.99 to $75.00 with Amazon going from one cent to $35. I prefer Barns and Noble because I can go in, browse, sit in chairs, and sometimes meet people who sign.

I like your approach to meditation and will read the book.

I don't like your acronym for KISS -- In politer times is stood for "Keep It Short and Simple," not the modern, disrespectful "Keep It Simple Stupid."

My favorite book on meditation so far has the rather simple title of "How to Meditate" by John Novak.

Unable to do yoga, but I do an adaptive Tai Chi and I do meditation when I can. Luckily, I listened to a lot of the tapes on meditation and I have the soothing sounds and such in my head to remember since I can no longer hear. I can put on some soothing Chopin on the Windows Media Player and have the visualizations set for an equalizer and go from there.

I thought of Tai Chi in my first post but discounted it because I thought "With balance problems how would that work?" seen as I can remember having a problem balancing myself when I did it.

I myself was doing Tai Chi until a couple of weeks ago. Had the major set back for balance, so my doctor told me to sit it out for awhile. I do plan to go back as it is supposed to be excellent for balance.

I meditate and do yoga. Meditation as taught by my doctor and Babar features in my yoga book. (easy yoga)

I found it ranging in price for a used one from Barns and Noble at $1.99 to $75.00 with Amazon going from one cent to $35.

I'd tell anyone NOT to pay $75 for it! Heck, it didn't cost that much in hardback when it was first published...geesh.... $35 is over-the-top as well.

Being an out of print book - the 99 cents to $1.99 range is more like it. And I no longer receive royalties - so it's not that it matters to me....but hey...don't pay too much!!!

I'd tell anyone NOT to pay $75 for it! Heck, it didn't cost that much in hardback when it was first published...geesh.... $35 is over-the-top as well.

Being an out of print book - the 99 cents to $1.99 range is more like it. And I no longer receive royalties - so it's not that it matters to me....but hey...don't pay too much!!!

A good policy for writers is to put into their contracts that if or when the book goes out of print all rights revert back to the writer and the writer has the option of buying any remaining copies at the remainder price.

Then you have copies you can sell and they do not hit the junk bin.

Actually the rights have been given back to me, however finding all remaining copies is difficult. I don't mind as I know many have been able to purchase it cheaply and enjoy it. Don't get me wrong - I really like money - or at least what one can do with it. However, money never was behind my writing that book.

I have considered updating it and re-publishing it. I might do so in the future.

Interestingly, I pulled out a copy and re-read it awhile ago. It's been a very difficult couple of years health-wise and I found I hadn't been using some of the things I'd learned and written about! Going back to the original point of this thread - depression can hit anyone. Here I was, a person who'd written about tools to help - and yet I managed to slip away from the happy, positive-minded person I'd always been. How the heck could that happen to me? Depression is a sneaky, devious, and scary monster. But monsters can be slain, or at least put back into the cave they crawled out from.

Have you ever had a list of things you wanted to accomplish? Writing a book was one of mine. Now my pursuits would more likely be in fiction, but again utilizing the things I've learned and experienced.

So, a question:

I do Hatha Yoga, and it helps not just with stress, but with the physical pain I have every day.

Actually the rights have been given back to me, however finding all remaining copies is difficult. I don't mind as I know many have been able to purchase it cheaply and enjoy it. Don't get me wrong - I really like money - or at least what one can do with it. However, money never was behind my writing that book.

I have considered updating it and re-publishing it. I might do so in the future.

Interestingly, I pulled out a copy and re-read it awhile ago. It's been a very difficult couple of years health-wise and I found I hadn't been using some of the things I'd learned and written about! Going back to the original point of this thread - depression can hit anyone. Here I was, a person who'd written about tools to help - and yet I managed to slip away from the happy, positive-minded person I'd always been. How the heck could that happen to me? Depression is a sneaky, devious, and scary monster. But monsters can be slain, or at least put back into the cave they crawled out from.

Have you ever had a list of things you wanted to accomplish? Writing a book was one of mine. Now my pursuits would more likely be in fiction, but again utilizing the things I've learned and experienced.

Only three. None of them have ever happened.

I've always wanted to learn to dance. My mother could dance, but she would not teach me waltzes and such because, "That is not the way young people dance nowadays and I don't want to teach you a bunch of things you will have to unlearn." It is the only thing have ever been angry with her about.

Sing. But my voice only has one value and that is killing time.

Earn my living as a writer. When I was young I could actually "get by" picking up jobs as needed here and there, but when I got married and had a family I had to spend so much time working my writing eventually ceased.

Right now working on three or four books but don't have the time to work on one.

Oh well.

Berry,

It's never too late. Dance. Sing. And keep writing!

PS: Who says one has to do it one book at a time?

Wow...learning a lot from this thread. Never heard of that word before - labyrinthitis. I also have balance problems and I tend to get nervous in crowded places because I cant walk a straight line very well. My kids tease me about it, they say it's like I'm slightly tipsy. I make a point of looking at a point in the distance because it helps me walk straighter. If I look down or let my eyes wander then I start walking wavy lines.
I absolutely cannot walk where I can't see - for example, where there are no street lights or walking in the woods at night without falling down. I usually beg people to give me their arm and to walk slowly in such circumstances.
I once tried to tango without my hearing aids and it was like the floor kept swaying and dropping out from under my feet, it was not a good feeling. I stopped dancing and went home.
Learning to dance the tango did help alot though with balance issues and the most valuable lesson of all was that the calmer and more relaxed I am, the better my balance gets. I noticed this every time we did warm ups where we had to pivot on every corner of an imaginary box drawn on the floor. If I was nervous about bumping into others in the class or self-conscious about my balance, I couldn't pivot for s**t. If I had a great day and came into class in a good mood and feeling really relaxed, then my balance would be much much better.
So, I learned from that that there is definitely a link between balance and anxiety. It's a bit of a vicious cycle - bad balance begets anxiety begets bad balance.
DanB - I hope you find treatment that will help you. It must be really difficult dealing with so many different things that's affecting how you live your life.

Back