Another ignorant question from a hearing person

I would never demand, of course, but if I saw you doing Continental style knitting, I would definitely ask if you could take a minute to show me how it's done. I've tried and tried to get the hang of it and just can't get it right. I always do English style, and I know it's slower.

Would you think that would be rude?

If I were crocheting something and someone wanted to ask how I was doing a particular thing, I wouldn't mind showing them at all.

Actually, I am terrified of strangers. I am very upset if anyone approaches me.

So maybe you all should focus more on other people who don't have the same issues.

Why do you want to talk to me? Did I meet you while I was out with my dog and you have the same kind of dog?

Do we see each other all the time in the same section of the bookstore devoted to city maps?

Do we have the exact same pair of really weird Converse shoes and you can't believe you found another afficianado?

Or do you just want to run up to me when I am eating dinner and show that you can sign, "Hi, my name is...."

I totally have to relate to this. I don't want to go out for a nice dinner with my honey and have a stranger come up to me and interrupt my nice dinner with, "Hi! I know sign!!!" (It's happened too many times. I had to smile and make nice. I don't anymore. Enough.) I'm not trying to be rude. I was out for a nice dinner with the honey. I would never go up to a stranger while they are having an intimate dinner and be rude by saying "Hi! I like your hair!!!" There is something to be said for respect for others.

In other settings where something is obvious in common, such as Bott's examples above like shoes, or knitting, I can see how a conversation could ignite. And that's perfectly fine. But to interrupt based on "Hi! I know sign!!" is just rude.

ha ha yeah last thurs night, we ladies went out to a cozy restaurant because we have not seen each other when we were too busy. Most of us have children that we could not see each other during weekend. so we made agreement to get together during week night and try to make dates to get together. so anyway last thurs we chatted and one hearing gal came to us and finger spelled in "HI." we said, " hi and how can we help you?" she said, " im sorry i only know finger spelling" we were trying to be nice to talk to her but we need to focus on ourselve to catch up news etc. so one of them told her why we had to get together and tried to be nice telling her to keep up with her asl class and say good luck. she left. but she was already under the influences. oh gosh.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Drunk fingerspelling. Now, that's funny.

It really irritates the hell out of me also.....but try to be nice :giggle:....most times I am, and quickly dismiss them...other times when someone just stands there sort of "smiling" as if they just did me a favor....that's when I tell them to shove it and leave us alone....

Very old breeds, with hair akin to human . Do you know some of those?

Also deaf dogs. I rescue them and we have a lot in common.

I cheated and googled, and I am curious about which breed you have.

But that's because I like learning things I didn't know. I like dogs in theory, a lot, the larger the better. But I strongly dislike dog hair loose in my house so I am not a dog person at heart.

Two of my kids are dog persons, and therefore we once had three large dogs- the smallest was just a little under 50 pounds.
One passed of old age, one went to live with one of the kids when she got married, and one is still here, barking his fool head off.

They were all rescue dogs, too. That's all we've ever owned.

Hey, I don't knit or crochet, either. We have that in common. So maybe I could come up to you and sign, "Hey, I see you're not knitting! Neither am I!":laugh2:

In actuality, I've never interrupted anybody- when I tell somebody deaf that I know a little sign, it's been a natural situation- when I was a salesperson in a gift shop, when a deaf woman came to church and was struggling to get somebody to understand what she wanted (even then somebody came and got me because they'd seen me sign like three things to my daughter), or at a grocery store where I saw two deaf people looking for a product I'd just passed so I could tell them where it was.

I don't know, Jana. You look pretty scary to me! :lol:

I'm going to post under this thread instead of making a new one. Even though I am becoming HoH, I'm still very new to the Deaf community and culture. My question is: Does not using spoken language affect the way you write? Do you find yourself applying "ASL grammar" to sentences you write? It just seems that some posts on here have interesting sentence structure.

I sincerely hope this question has not come off as rude or offensive, it's just that I am losing my hearing right now and was wondering if it would affect my writing in the future...

I'm going to post under this thread instead of making a new one. Even though I am becoming HoH, I'm still very new to the Deaf community and culture. My question is: Does not using spoken language affect the way you write? Do you find yourself applying "ASL grammar" to sentences you write? It just seems that some posts on here have interesting sentence structure.

I sincerely hope this question has not come off as rude or offensive, it's just that I am losing my hearing right now and was wondering if it would affect my writing in the future...

When you use two different languages you tend to separate other somewhat. Though every once in a while I want to say something that is easier in ASL and have to stop myself and do it the long way in English. Others may have different experience, but for me keeping them separate is not an issue.

Back