Another happened again on Stingray story in Fla

BlueOceanView

Reaction score
Michigan woman dies after leaping stingray gets on boat

A woman from the Thumb died after a large stingray leaped from the water off the Florida Keys on Thursday and struck her in the head while she was on a fishing boat with her family, officials said.

The stingray also struck her sister. She suffered minor injuries and was released from the hospital Thursday afternoon.

The spotted eagle ray surged as high as 8 feet before landing on the head of Judy Kay Zagorski, 55, of Pigeon, who died in the middle of the boat as her mother and father scrambled to try to resuscitate her, said Officer Bobby Dube of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

It's unclear what killed Zagorski -- whether a barb punctured her or she banged her head on the boat from the weight of the 75-pound stingray.

"There was that potential" that a barb punctured her "because there was a large amount of blood from her head," Dube said.

A medical examiner is expected to conduct an autopsy today.

Stingrays usually jump to escape predators, not to attack, said Christopher Lowe, a stingray expert at California State University, Long Beach.

"For someone to be standing in a boat and hit in the head by a stingray is pretty remarkable," Lowe said. "It's incredibly bad luck." Zagorski's family couldn't be reached for comment.

A man with Michigan connections suffered a similar incident in 2006, one month after "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray.

James Bertakis, who founded a Roseville manufacturing company, was on a boat near his home in Florida when a stingray flopped aboard and punctured the then-81-year-old's heart. He survived.

Contact STEVE NEAVLING at 586-469-4935 or sneavling@freepress.com. Staff writer Dan Cortez contributed to this report.

Yep, I saw that few days ago about a eagle sting ray story. The spotted eagle ray are knowing to jump out of the water from time to time, but they do not attack people on purpose. I touched sting rays before many times fla so they are really friendly so it only attack when it threated or provoked. People just need to be educated how to be careful around sting rays, so there must be about over 200 speices of sting rays.

Stingray Recipe <aww>

Tiger, After I read your comment that make me curious to check if have string ray recipe that was amazing! <Interesting> here s recipe from internet Tiger, have you ever eaten it??......I do eat stingray and i find that they taste nice to certain way of cooking. I love to have a fried stingray which I marinate with my home marinade. What about you guys, do you eat them? How you cook them? Below is my marinade recipe for the fried stingray

Banana leaf fried stingray.

Ingredients

6 pcs of cuted stingray

Marinade:
2/3-cup honey
2/3-cup fish sauce
3 tablespoons liquid seasoning (Maggie brand)
4 tablespoons calamansi juice
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 inch ginger (smashed)
2 cloves garlic (smashed)
2 Shallots (Smashed)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 Inch square dried shrimp paste

Preparation.

Mix all the marinade ingredients and make sure that the dried shrimp paste is disolve before adding the stingray.

Marinate the stingray for a few hours or until 24 hours before grilling them.

The stingray now is ready to fry.

Heat in medium heat the tava (flat pan). Pour some cooking oil on top of the pan. Put the banana leaf on the pan and put the stingray on the banana leaf.

fry the stingray until it cook, pour the marinade juice often on the stingray in the frying process.

Serve hot with hot plain rice.

This is the second time something like this happened in Florida....

It is rare that a stingray will jump out of the water and "run into someone" Both died instantly.

080321_stingray_death.jpg

This is the one that hit the woman....Sadly this is one of those weird freak accidents.

Stingray leaps from water, kills woman on boat | KVAL CBS 13 - News, Weather and Sports - Eugene, OR - Eugene, Oregon | National & World News Is the link where I got the photo from.

Stingray 'shattered victim's skull'

Saw the newsflash today -

"A boater who was killed when a stingray jumped out of the water in the Florida Keys and hit her face died of skull fractures and brain injuries, not from the animal's poisonous barb, a medical examiner said.

Judy Kay Zagorski, 57, of Pigeon, Michigan, was in the front of a boat travelling at 40 km/h on Thursday when a 34 kg spotted eagle ray leapt from the water and hit her in a freak collision."

Stingray 'shattered victim's skull' - Yahoo!7 News

My friend and I make a joke about flying sting rays today. Aside tragedy occurrances, he said that perhaps that sting rays have flying leap competition with each other in just a few days.

I painfully aware that deaths of women are very sad though. My prayers go to their families.

Back