Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

This is about annoying hearing people.

Not for religious intolerance.

I don't even like the late deafened...

Botts, what about people with a progressive hearing loss since birth? How would you view those people?

I am asking because I'm curious to see your perspective, not because I want to contradict you. :lol:

It bothers me when I post something on craigslist and leave my phone #but say ONLY TEXT OR EMAIL I'm HOH and will NOT answer' Sometimes people call and when I don't answer the phone they leave a message. I can't HEAR the message well enough to get numbers right so I don't return the call. I've had a few that leave a LOT of messages and get ANGRY when I said I would NOT answer the phone!

The mother of the little boy I watch does this to me all the time. Sometimes I don't know if I've agreed to something I didn't hear right or if she's switched my schedule around.

My boss at the office job will often stop me mid-email writing and tell me to "just call them". Then she acts surprised when I take the phone into a corner of the office, jack the volume up, and shove my finger into my non-phone ear and still ask the person to repeat things a bazillion times. Why does she prefer me to call? To save time. Yeah... THAT works. :roll:

UGH!

The mother of the little boy I watch does this to me all the time. Sometimes I don't know if I've agreed to something I didn't hear right or if she's switched my schedule around.

My boss at the office job will often stop me mid-email writing and tell me to "just call them". Then she acts surprised when I take the phone into a corner of the office, jack the volume up, and shove my finger into my non-phone ear and still ask the person to repeat things a bazillion times. Why does she prefer me to call? To save time. Yeah... THAT works. :roll:

UGH!

My daughter's teacher and I are in a similar Call vs Email struggle. We'll be emailing and she will tell me 'OH JUST CALL ME!' but after me asking 'What?' and 'Can you repeat that?' she'll go 'I'll email you' :roll::roll:

Botts, what about people with a progressive hearing loss since birth? How would you view those people?

I am asking because I'm curious to see your perspective, not because I want to contradict you. :lol:

My husband is a person with progressive hearing loss since birth. So are my two daughters. They all eventually end up profound, but don't start out that way. People in that situation are different than the late deafened with sudden loss.

So obviously I like all of those in my family fine, and as for any others, it would depend on their attitude and adjustment.

My husband is a person with progressive hearing loss since birth. So are my two daughters. They all eventually end up profound, but don't start out that way. People in that situation are different than the late deafened with sudden loss.

So obviously I like all of those in my family fine, and as for any others, it would depend on their attitude and adjustment.

Same situation here, I have severe-profound loss...for now :lol:

Good, I'm glad to hear that I wouldn't be considered "Late-deafened."
Thanks, Botts!

What a day.....every stop I made I ran into problems with hearing people. The one that really got me was.....I ran into an old "friend" that I have not seen in years. I let her know I was deaf now, her response as she thought I was joking "no way, you talk fine". She is a nurse practitioner!!! I couldn't help myself and said "I lost my hearing not my voice" and that pretty much ended the conversation. SMH

As a late deafened adult, I encounter people who I attended High School with occasionally and as mentioned, people have a hard time fully grasping that I'm deaf.. I can't say I blame em though. Its heavy

It is a compliment when a hearing person doesn't think of you as a deaf person. They forget sometimes. I've had people forget that I am deaf. I like that because then I am treated equally.

On the other hand, I have some people in my life who think of me as Deaf first and really treat me like one. That I don't like too much.

I can also relate to this. Its one of the reasons I surround myself around specific people and avoid a handful of others.

This one just happened yesterday, I swear this guy drives me crazy. This man I know came up to me and started talking and I asked him to speak up because I can't hear in noisy places so well anymore.

Man: "Oh my GAWD!" [places hand over his heart, eyes get really wide] "You're loosing your hearing? I'm so SORRY!"
Kris: "Uh...yeah. It's ok. So anyway..."
Man: "Are you ok?? That's TERRIBLE!"
Kris: "Umm..yeah, I'm fine. So what I was saying..."
Man: "If you need anything, ANYTHING at all, you just let me know." [looks sympathetic and walks away]
Kris:......
[atomic facepalm]

Its a Lil hard to open up to the deaf community as a hearing person after seeing this thread. I don't think it's very nice to make fun of people and you are doing just that. People will always be ignorant hearing or not but to lump us all together as stupid hearing people? I'm a Lil upset and now I'm wondering why my asl teacher said deaf people are a lot more open than hearing people and friendlier. Seems like be to me now. Everyone is the same just born a bit different. Just like u don't wanna be judged for being deaf I don't wanna be judged for.being a hearing person. I originally joined the forum to hopefully find a deaf person near me to practice with but NEVER MIND

Its a Lil hard to open up to the deaf community as a hearing person after seeing this thread. I don't think it's very nice to make fun of people and you are doing just that. People will always be ignorant hearing or not but to lump us all together as stupid hearing people? I'm a Lil upset and now I'm wondering why my asl teacher said deaf people are a lot more open than hearing people and friendlier. Seems like be to me now. Everyone is the same just born a bit different. Just like u don't wanna be judged for being deaf I don't wanna be judged for.being a hearing person. I originally joined the forum to hopefully find a deaf person near me to practice with but NEVER MIND

Hey, check it out. Rare occurrence of a good NEVER MIND. Ha.

(Botti I quoted this for you.)

((crocodile))

Hey, check it out. Rare occurrence of a good NEVER MIND. Ha.

(Botti I quoted this for you.)

((crocodile))
Thanks, amylynne.... Caiman

Lil, spelling challenged , wanna not be judged, glad you said the "NEVER MIND" as that reason for joining is the least likely way to make friends.

Please let me clear one thing up. As HOH Adult Onset I can explain why the fast food restaurants give the "Braile" Menu to deaf people. They are told to do so. (I know I was) It is supposed to be a Deaf and Blind Menu. It is assumed that a deaf person has read the menu that is usually behind the person taking the order and they are simply using the menu given as tool for communication. Example you want to order a Whopper you see on the large menu... you point to the whopper on the paper instead of getting frustrated trying to point to a large board or trying get the cashier to understand which one you want. I'm sure if blind people knew there were pictures they would think the same way... why pictures.
Please don't take that as me being disrespected I just hate for people to continue to think that someone is being mean or stupid when that's not what's happening.

I would want to communicate by pointing at a picture to tell you what want to order. Take the time to talk with me or whatever. The thought of pointing at a picture in a deaf-blind menu would make me feel they only expect me to be able to just point and get what I want ordered...

And I'm only HOH.

Many stories.
I was ordering from Wendys and I couldn't hear the cashier, I asked her to repeat slower and louder... what does she do? Bring another employee. 2nd Employee: W h a t D o Y o u W a n t -
Me: I want you to stop talking like your Dory from Nemo trying to talk to a whale. I just wanted to know what is on this burger.
2nd: OOHH, WELL THERE IS THIS AND THIS!
Me: I want Burger 2.
1st: *rings up the order* That will be *takes her fingers does the number 5.40$* please
Me: *throws a 5$ walks away*

Ugh. I have so many. Especially one from Subway where I misheard "what other veggies do you want". I thought she said something else (I don't remember) but it was embarrassing. Her and the other employee just laughed at me.

EESH.

Back