Animal Rescue & Foster Volunteer

LM60CT

Reaction score
Three years ago I decided to get involved with the animal rescue group after I saw their website on Petfinder.com and realized that the group was located nearby me. I was volunteer for animal transport, "foster mom" for guinea pigs temporarily, and screen the adoption applications before the animals are adopted out to great homes. It was wonderful experience for me. Right now I'm still "foster mom" for rescue animals, and sometimes (not often like before) I will drive animal transport.
Naturally I'm curious if any of you had similiar experience with animal rescue, foster, etc. Can we chat to share our experience? :ty:

It must be quite an experience to do this sort of thing and at the same time, being able to place an animal in a good home after careful screening of potential adopters/homes, yet, isn't it disheartening sometimes when a certain animal you may have unintentionally become attach to is given away? Although, the joy of seeing adopters eagerly welcoming a new pet into their home must be thrilling as well. I have seen several people like yourself on Animal Planet, on the Animal Cops Show where rescued pets are placed in foster homes.

I've never done this sort of thing, although, one day perhaps, I wouldn't mind having a 'search and rescue dog' and going to places where disasters have struck....:)

Whether or not you've had any great compliments for what you're doing, here's a round of :applause: :applause: and keep up with the great effort! :thumb:

I have done transport dog for a while since the gas price have gone toooooooooo high so I had to stopped. So for now I am looking into a fostering the Pom. I have applied for one place but they want me to get my dog update with a shot but but she is not due for a shot til Aug of this year. Damn Vet lied to them so I will have to send the paper work to them and have them look at it. Geez wheez.

I want to be foster the pom since I love pomeranian. :D

Forgot to add one more thing I already had one cat up to date but my other cat not yet I will once I started my new job on Monday and get the money. Then I will get my other cat up to date. :D

Just RR mention about Search and Rescue team, I am thinking about it but I will need to research on the training and finding the right kind of dog to do that. I know my black lab mix wont do it cuz she is toooooooooo much playful. LOL Can anyone help me to find the website for it. :D Thanks you :ty:

Wow that's great, I've thought of doing something like that myself here too, after watching Animal cop on Animal Planet channel, I feel really bad for those pets out there who's been abused and that is another reason why I find it really interesting to be part of something to save those pets and to become a foster parents for those pets in case they are unable to find them a home quickly, I rather to see those pets having a second chance in life than being put to sleep, I couldn't bear to see any pets being put to sleep at all but I know some of them would have to cause of how some pets were raised like pitbulls or others as well, afterall they don't deserves what those owners had done to them in the first place, the only thing people out there need to do is lift a hand to help save those pets out there and to care for them and to give those pets a life they deserves to have....

I will look into this and hopefully be able to do this also....I'm really proud to hear someone like you doing that, it makes me feel that there are really good people out there like yourself who really do cares....:hug: Thanks for sharing your stories, I really enjoy reading them!... :D

Hi Road Runner ~~ Yuppers you got it right as a nail on the head! Actually I did ended up adopting 2 of my previous foster guinea pigs because I had bonded with them and just could not let them go. Otherwise I am delighted when the animals find their "fur-ever" homes! Especially if they lives nearby to me I would get to visit them!

Hi Pomerian ~~ I love pom's too! If you are motivated to help fostering them they would give you ten times back in love and gratefulness!

Hi Angel ~~ Would you like to get involved? If so, if you go on the Petfinder website and do a search for rescue / shelter volunteer groups in your area, you might come up with something that would interest you! This is surely very rewarding volunteer work!

Recently, a deaf woman chatted me on AOL IM. I was surprised to learn that she is taking her two cats to SPCA and put them to sleep before moving to a condo next month. She complaint that her cats pee in the house. I told her that they might have bladder infection.

Anyway, she already sold her house. I tried to convince her to take her cats outside, and they would find a new home instead of putting them to sleep. She said that her cats won't know what is going on. She insists that she rather to put them to death because she thinks that her cats would be afraid to go outside.

Her town is safe and a lot of good neighbors. I told her that it is better than putting them to sleep. A few months ago, I called the SPCA about my neighbor's three cats after she moved in a nursing home. The SPCA said that there is no room for the adoption. I contacted 20 different adoptions, and they all told me that there is no room. I still have her three cats in my backyard for a year. Is that true that the indoor cats are afraid to go outside even they have claws to protect themselves?

webexplorer said:
I still have her three cats in my backyard for a year. Is that true that the indoor cats are afraid to go outside even they have claws to protect themselves?

Gee, webexplorer, I can't answer that one for you as I've never owned a cat -- I'm allergic. But, I must say, it is very nice and big-hearted of you to take in this lady's 3 cats for her and allow them to live in your backyard. How nice of you.
Can anyone else answer the question for webexplorer?

I'm interviewing this Tuesday (May 24th) to become an animal control officer. I'm so excited. I live in an apartment so I can't really get involved in animal rescue as much as I'd like. My friend does reptile rescue. She takes in beardies and iguanas people don't want as pets anymore. I want to have a rabbit rescue for all those easter bunnies that no one wants after they hit puberty. I also REALLY want to train guide dogs for the blind. I can't wait until I live in a house or at least an apartment that's a little more pet friendly (I had to pay a $700 pet deposit for my two cats).

I'm a pre-vet major. I LOVE animals. I've worked with animals in a variety of fields: home, shelter, zoo, pet store, and veterinary clinic. I was a kennel assistant but the nurses showed me how to insert cathiters and I even got to neuter my own cat. Very cool! I'm looking forward to my interview. I would like to do some animals some good.

Anyways... If anyone wants to talk animals I'm your gal. :)

I have indoor only cats. One always wants to get out but if I yell his name as he starts to go he freaks and runs into te safety of the house. My other one will just sniff at the doorframe and maybe venture slowly out if it's quiet. :P Given enough time indoor cats will get used to going outside.

If you want to make an indoor cat an oudoor/indoor cat it's best to just leave a door open for them to be able to explore the outside but be able to come back in when they get scared. :)

trombgirl said:
If you want to make an indoor cat an oudoor/indoor cat it's best to just leave a door open for them to be able to explore the outside but be able to come back in when they get scared. :)

I tried to convince my friend to let her cats outside for a few days to see if they finally understand what is going on - sort of. She insists to put them to sleep because it would make her feel better so that she would not worry what is happening to her cats outside if some animals attack them. She wants to get rid of that problem in her mind. Isn't she strange?

webexplorer said:
Recently, a deaf woman chatted me on AOL IM. I was surprised to learn that she is taking her two cats to SPCA and put them to sleep before moving to a condo next month. She complaint that her cats pee in the house. I told her that they might have bladder infection.

Anyway, she already sold her house. I tried to convince her to take her cats outside, and they would find a new home instead of putting them to sleep. She said that her cats won't know what is going on. She insists that she rather to put them to death because she thinks that her cats would be afraid to go outside.

Her town is safe and a lot of good neighbors. I told her that it is better than putting them to sleep. A few months ago, I called the SPCA about my neighbor's three cats after she moved in a nursing home. The SPCA said that there is no room for the adoption. I contacted 20 different adoptions, and they all told me that there is no room. I still have her three cats in my backyard for a year. Is that true that the indoor cats are afraid to go outside even they have claws to protect themselves?

Most of animals such as budgie, parrot, mouse, rat, whale, money etc brought up indoor cage or house, and even zoo, since they were babies won't survived in the outdoor/bush life because they were not used to search for foods in the wild. Also these animals don't know wild's dangerous life etc. Cat is one of them too.

Animal Rescue told me they would release wild injury animals once they get better back to the wild because its their home. :)

webexplorer said:
I tried to convince my friend to let her cats outside for a few days to see if they finally understand what is going on - sort of. She insists to put them to sleep because it would make her feel better so that she would not worry what is happening to her cats outside if some animals attack them. She wants to get rid of that problem in her mind. Isn't she strange?

That is really weird. If she doesn't want to try to get them to be outdoor cats she should give them to a friend or to SPCA at least. Why would anyone put a cat to sleep for any reason except to put it out of misery?

If one want to foster animals for SPCA or whatever, do one have to pay for food, meds?

All my rat's are rescues. I've also run what they call a rat train. I pick rats up from one place and take them to another using public transport.

Her town is safe and a lot of good neighbors. I told her that it is better than putting them to sleep.

That sounds terrible :pissed: I don't believe in killing any animal unless she is seriously ill with cancer or something else like that. Certainly not because she can't be bothered to find the cat another home.

A few months ago, I called the SPCA about my neighbor's three cats after she moved in a nursing home. The SPCA said that there is no room for the adoption. I contacted 20 different adoptions, and they all told me that there is no room. I still have her three cats in my backyard for a year. Is that true that the indoor cats are afraid to go outside even they have claws to protect themselves?

That's good of you to keep her cats. All the cats I've had in the past have been indoor/outdoor cats. I don't really aprove of keeping cats indoors only. If the area is not safe they should build a cat run for them.

Back