Animal Cruelty is okay?

was the "cause of death by strangulation" accidental ?

Would it be preventable?

If not, then it's putting the animal under further risk. I still think that is abuse to increase the risk of the animal getting hurt or killed.

*p.s. slow down!!!! I am trying to keep up with your posts, Boult! :P *

Deaf258,

really, it is moot to scream animal cruelty or animal abuse on those pictures you showed. you are making big deal out of it when it is not.

Have a nice day!

so you are saying if they were carrying something say the size of a matchbox it would be alright? Again - you don't seem to understand just what you are saying

so you are saying if they were carrying something say the size of a matchbox it would be alright? Again - you don't seem to understand just what you are saying

You see my avatar? It looks too bulky and BIG! If it was smaller like the size of BTE hearing aid attached to the collar, I don't see a problem. But the poor cat has to drag that thing around!

I still don't think it is necessary to give a cat CI!

To complain about animal cruelty on animal with ci research is moot.

That is so untrue!

It's no use saying to complain to RSPCA because cruelty against laboritory animals is exempt.

If someone slowly poisoned their pet they would quite rightly call it animal cruelty.
When a laboritory slowly poisons their rodents then it's called science and perfectly permitted.

I don't aprove of ANY animal research wether to 'cure' deafness, blindness or anything else because it doesn't as it has apsolutely NO relavance to REAL science and is all very cruel. If you will believe what some newspapers say you will believe anything. I have more experience in these matters. I KNOW. If you don't believe me click on the link on my signiture. That will show you what is REALLY happening.

If they ever cure deafness, I gotta kiss a rat for that! :giggle:

I never seen wheelchairs for rats before. I only saw for cat and dogs, that's all. I have 7 rats and 3 mice. I don't believe putting them to sleep because they're disabled, just only if they're seriously ill and can't be back to health, that's all.

They do exist but rats don't seem to take kindly to being attached to things. I had to give up on dark tan.

I have 4 rats at the moment. Do yours have a wodent wheel? Mine make a lot of use out of theirs. Even though they are also free range most of the time and live in a super pet ferret kingdom which is a very large cage.

They do exist but rats don't seem to take kindly to being attached to things. I had to give up on dark tan.

I have 4 rats at the moment. Do yours have a wodent wheel? Mine make a lot of use out of theirs. Even though they are also free range most of the time and live in a super pet ferret kingdom which is a very large cage.

All of my pets live in 3 seperate cages, branded by Coast Cages with built in exercise wheel. They run on it whenever they feel like it. The newer version of Coast Cages have wheels with no metal mesh for their safety reasons. I would love to build a custom rat cage someday for their place to roam around. Sometimes I let the rats out to explore around this place. 6 female rats live in the big "skyscraper" cage, one male lives in a regular size, 3 female mice live in a smaller size coast cage.

If they ever cure deafness, I gotta kiss a rat for that! :giggle:

If you have to kiss anything it would probably be a computer because research using stem cells and computer modelling is much more advanced and relavent then animal research. However I don't believe that they will ever find a cure for deafness. I don't believe a cure for deafness is needed as there is nothing wrong with being deaf.

Doesn't the law protect animals used in research?
The Animal Welfare Act (AWA) is the primary law covering laboratory animals in the United States. The AWA was passed in 1966 and amended in 1970, 1976 and 1985. The scope of the AWA is limited, in that, it does not restrict what can be done to an animal during a study - it only applies to the type of care an animal receives before and after experimentation. The following provision grants animal researchers impunity to do as they wish in the course of an experiment: "Nothing in these rules, regulations, or standards shall affect or interfere with the design, outline, or performance of actual research or experimentation by a research facility as determined by such research facility."

The AWA only requires that research facilities count the number of dogs, cats, primates, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, (some) farm animals, and other animals that are used in experiments. Rats, mice, birds, and cold-blooded animals are not protected by the AWA and represent approximately 85 percent of the total number of animals used in experimentation.

So you see they aren't protected at all. The rest of the article is here: The Truth About Vivisection - In Defense of Animals

If you have to kiss anything it would probably be a computer because research using stem cells and computer modelling is much more advanced and relavent then animal research. However I don't believe that they will ever find a cure for deafness. I don't believe a cure for deafness is needed as there is nothing wrong with being deaf.

So you see they aren't protected at all. The rest of the article is here: The Truth About Vivisection - In Defense of Animals

Thank you for validating my topic! ;)

Thank you for validating my topic! ;)

Before the age of computer, mice were used in research and it was okay. I would kiss the mice too! I'm a 110% dog / animal lover. If you saw me in the vet's office walking up to each dog in the waiting room sweet talking their fears, you would know this about me. At the same time, I am all for the research to help humans. I'm NOT going to read any of the provided links here to prove a point. That would only make me physically ill but not change my mind. At first I thought possibly monkeys were used in the CI research only because of the man/ape communication connection using sign language. I can't really explain this thought. I am truely surprised cats were used. Hugs, Suzi

You got to be kidding me?...:eek3: , can you find a link to that story, I would like to read it please...

I'm sorry that I can't find anything in German and English website. I do wish to remember a lady's name which is easy to find in google. I will remember this thread here and scan from the magazine straight way if the repeat news of last year come again. I really don't understand why there're no link about golden lab. or golden reteiver who received CI. I withnessed from read the magazine which I bought every weekly... I remember from mentioned this subject in debate thread with Meg somewhere last year. I will try to find out...

After post to this, I went to member list to dig Meg's posts and found out that her sn is Gemtun but I can't click her sn to check her profile because her AD profile are being deleted. It's hard to find which threads, we talked about animals and CI.

Last edited:
...Just to hear? I probably wud never get it cuz like deaf258 said, it is like life is sad and miserable being deaf.

From a human perspective, one can compensate for a missing sense easily. Not so for an animal! They lose a sense and it is typically catastrophic for them especially in nature...as nature is not so forgiving. For them it is a sad and miserable life...even their own tend to shun them in fact they are often left to die. It is only in the confines of cohabitating with people that they can possibly live decent lives.

From a human perspective, one can compensate for a missing sense easily. Not so for an animal! They lose a sense and it is typically catastrophic for them especially in nature...as nature is not so forgiving. For them it is a sad and miserable life...even their own tend to shun them in fact they are often left to die. It is only in the confines of cohabitating with people that they can possibly live decent lives.

So you think all deaf wildlife should be implanted with CI's:confused:

I don't agree, having known several disabled animals and they manage themselves better then we do. In fact other animals seem a good deal better at making do with what they've got then we are.

It isn't true that their companions shun them. I can give you examples from my own rat collonies of rats taking good care of sick or elderly companions. In fact all rats with red eyes are visually impaired. I have 2 red eyed rats and 2 normal black eyed rats and they manage just fine.

I also used to know a deaf cat. He didn't seem to have any problem getting along with his fellow feline hearies. He certainly didn't lead a sad and lonely life.

Wait a second here, you think all deaf wildlife animals and pets should be implanted?...

What makes you think they're sad and miserable without being able to hear? It looks like Shel90 was correct, some of you think their life being deaf is sad and miserable...

I have friends who are CI users, and surely they don't talk like some of you do here..:pissed:

:shock: sad and miserable? I wondered if that how you feel about deaf people without cochlear implants too? :hmm:

***ROLLING EYES***
***DOUBLE ROLLING EYES***

Unbelievable how this gets so misconstrued...

Let me take this one by one so everybody understands what I was saying.

1) Dreama's response - I said nothing about implanting wildlife...you did. I see no benefit in implanting any animal for any reason. I was pointing the fact you cannot impute human attributes upon animals. Some animals are more social than others and I will concede your statement about helping each other for some animals but not all. Some animals that can't keep up are left behind as there is no choice. In those circumstances, it is a lonely and sad condition.

2) Angel - Read what I said about CIs above. When you think about it, they really don't know what they are missing. So, I guess maybe in that context being sad and miserable isn't quite the case. I concede that point.

3) Cheri - You cannot compare the two in terms of cognition. Therefore, do not try to compare humans with animals. In other words, how I feel about animals doesn't translate into what I think about people. Two totally different issues. I could care less whether a person has a CI or not, deaf or not. It is their choice and their business. If they prefer being deaf, more power to them.

Back