An Apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

guido

Reaction score
"Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history."--Pat Robertson, 1993 interview with Molly Ivins

After reading this quote, I felt moved to apologize. I feel it is necessary for me to denounce my evil liberal ways and stop oppressing the minority of Christians in this country. What Pat Robertson said is true: us liberals, the media, and homosexuals are plotting pograms against God's children. To Pat and all you other Children of God, I sincerely apologize for the crimes of humanity I have commited against you. Satan controlled my heart and filled it with deceit. I've supported Hugo Chavez. I've supported the evil homosexual agenda to redefine your morals. I've not recognized the glorious truth of Creationism. For this, I am sorry.

:eek3: To be honest, I couldnt tell whether Guido was sarcastic as usual or truly meant it this time. I had to give him a benefit of doubt......so, Guido, what is your true intentions behind that provoking statement ?????? :cool:

:confused: What's so funni about this?...I'm confused

:eek3: To be honest, I couldnt tell whether Guido was sarcastic as usual or truly meant it this time. I had to give him a benefit of doubt......so, Guido, what is your true intentions behind that provoking statement ?????? :cool:

What does sarcastic means anyways?

After reading this quote, I felt moved to apologize. I feel it is necessary for me to denounce my evil liberal ways and stop oppressing the minority of Christians in this country. What Pat Robertson said is true: us liberals, the media, and homosexuals are plotting pograms against God's children. To Pat and all you other Children of God, I sincerely apologize for the crimes of humanity I have commited against you. Satan controlled my heart and filled it with deceit. I've supported Hugo Chavez. I've supported the evil homosexual agenda to redefine your morals. I've not recognized the glorious truth of Creationism. For this, I am sorry.

Amen, oh yeah baby, amen!

;-)

What does sarcastic means anyways?

It can be a subtle (or not so subtle) attempt at humor by mocking something or someone. In this case guido's making a barb about Pat Robinson for stating that Christians are being oppressed by the very minorities who truly face oppression.

Me? Sarcastic? No. You must have me confused with some other liberal evil-doer. Maybe Levonian?

Again, I would just like to reiterate how sorry I am to the Christian minority in this country for opressing them. It's hard for me to come to terms with. For a second there, I thought we were headed to Holocaust 2.0.

Ohhh I am sooo sorry for being a liberal Christian and I can not help it but love every bit of it.

It can be a subtle (or not so subtle) attempt at humor by mocking something or someone. In this case guido's making a barb about Pat Robinson for stating that Christians are being oppressed by the very minorities who truly face oppression.

Ahh, thanks for explaining it :)

wtf, were you on crack during that time?

On crack during what time? I think I was on crack while I was trying to exterminate the Christian minority in this country. It was wrong of me. Very wrong.

Yeah.......I mean you could read it as " evalingical christians are an oppressed minority".....which IS true. Evalingcal Christians are A Minority in this country. But on the other hand, he seems to be saying that Catholics and libral Christians aren't real Christians, and that if you're not an evalingcial conservative christian, you're an agent of the Devil!
Pat.....most people in this country ARE christian.....

On crack during what time? I think I was on crack while I was trying to exterminate the Christian minority in this country. It was wrong of me. Very wrong.

4_1_72.gif

As for me, christians should be moderate. Liberal is more as rebellion against the Lord, conservative is more oppressing in the wrong way. Moderate is more as of discipline, correction in proper way, forgiveness in ALL cost (which is not easy),humility, and letting the Lord show you in every way what He called you to do. Liberals has no surrendering to the Lord, moderate and conservative does, but its based on personal's accountability what God called us to do. As in Book of Jeremiah, are we in that category? Its personal answer only between you and the Lord alone as it is between the Lord and me.

All christianity should be treated as a liberal.

People like Pat Robertson give all Christians a bad name. He is a misguided fool who sees evil intent in everything. He's a paranoid, a fear monger, and he mixes his politics with his religion too often and too easily (and does injustice to both in the process).

Jesus fits neither into a "liberal" label nor a "conservative" label. In fact, in his day, the "conservatives" were the pharisees and temple priests, who he preached against all the time for being hypocrits. However, Jesus doesn't really fit into the "liberal" label either (although I think you could say he's closer to liberal than conservative in many ways -- read Matthew 5 and Matthew 25.)

Anyway, for those who distrust religion, don't take people like Pat Roberton or Jerry Faldwell as good representatives of the Christian Faith. They are far too ego driven to be good deliverers of Jesus' message. Jesus' calling is not about "learning and following all the rules". It's not about "defending marriage from homosexuals". It's not about whether you're "pro-choice" or "anti-abortion". It's not about making a spectacle of yourself by publicly passing judgement on whole groups of people. Jesus said to be careful judging people, because God makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike. Our judgement should be tempered with the thought that we're presuming to know what God would want. Personally, I don't consider myself wise enough most of the time to make that kind of public statement, and I find it a better use of my time to keep my mind on my own sins, and what I can personally do to make the world better.

I do wonder, for those who hold up morons like Pat Robertson and Jerry Faldwell as their reason for not giving Christianity a real try, do they do this as a straw man argument? Certainly there are those in the faith who make a mockery of it, and there have been those who called themselves Christians who have done evil things, but there are countless others who are more honorable, and who have taken Jesus' teachings to heart and made a positive impact on the world: Martin Luther King Jr., Billy Graham, Deitrich Bonhoeffer, Mother Teresa, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Franklin Roosevelt, just to name a few.

I also think it's possible for a rationalist to find the Christian system of morality to be reasonable. C.S. Lewis wrote a book called "Mere Christianity" that talks about this. I used to be an athiest, or at least a staunch agnostic, mostly because I'm a rationalist. Christianity seemed childish to me. However, after reading C.S. Lewis, I started to see how it's anything but childish, and it's worth learning more about. That's how I became a Christian -- not because some idiot tricked, scared, or shamed me into it, but rather because it just made sense to me.

So, friends, if you have a chance some time, grab a copy of "Mere Christianity" at the library. It's not a long book, and it's an easy read. Then decide for yourself. Is it worth reading Jesus' words yourself once you finish "Mere Christianity"? You're the only person who can answer that question, and from your perspective, the only person for whom it matters.

People like Pat Robertson give all Christians a bad name. He is a misguided fool who sees evil intent in everything. He's a paranoid, a fear monger, and he mixes his politics with his religion too often and too easily (and does injustice to both in the process).

Jesus fits neither into a "liberal" label nor a "conservative" label. In fact, in his day, the "conservatives" were the pharisees and temple priests, who he preached against all the time for being hypocrits. However, Jesus doesn't really fit into the "liberal" label either (although I think you could say he's closer to liberal than conservative in many ways -- read Matthew 5 and Matthew 25.)

Anyway, for those who distrust religion, don't take people like Pat Roberton or Jerry Faldwell as good representatives of the Christian Faith. They are far too ego driven to be good deliverers of Jesus' message. Jesus' calling is not about "learning and following all the rules". It's not about "defending marriage from homosexuals". It's not about whether you're "pro-choice" or "anti-abortion". It's not about making a spectacle of yourself by publicly passing judgement on whole groups of people. Jesus said to be careful judging people, because God makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike. Our judgement should be tempered with the thought that we're presuming to know what God would want. Personally, I don't consider myself wise enough most of the time to make that kind of public statement, and I find it a better use of my time to keep my mind on my own sins, and what I can personally do to make the world better.

I do wonder, for those who hold up morons like Pat Robertson and Jerry Faldwell as their reason for not giving Christianity a real try, do they do this as a straw man argument? Certainly there are those in the faith who make a mockery of it, and there have been those who called themselves Christians who have done evil things, but there are countless others who are more honorable, and who have taken Jesus' teachings to heart and made a positive impact on the world: Martin Luther King Jr., Billy Graham, Deitrich Bonhoeffer, Mother Teresa, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Franklin Roosevelt, just to name a few.

I also think it's possible for a rationalist to find the Christian system of morality to be reasonable. C.S. Lewis wrote a book called "Mere Christianity" that talks about this. I used to be an athiest, or at least a staunch agnostic, mostly because I'm a rationalist. Christianity seemed childish to me. However, after reading C.S. Lewis, I started to see how it's anything but childish, and it's worth learning more about. That's how I became a Christian -- not because some idiot tricked, scared, or shamed me into it, but rather because it just made sense to me.

So, friends, if you have a chance some time, grab a copy of "Mere Christianity" at the library. It's not a long book, and it's an easy read. Then decide for yourself. Is it worth reading Jesus' words yourself once you finish "Mere Christianity"? You're the only person who can answer that question, and from your perspective, the only person for whom it matters.

Excellent post. I'm glad to see there's at least one other non-brainwashed Christian here. Grace seems like such a hard concept to grasp for so many people. It seems they have an easier time advocating the mainstream legalistic version of Christianity rather than how Jesus intended.

Jesus does not have political views, nor party affiliations. I think Brian McLaren gave a great example in "A New Kind of Christian" when his character Neo, drew a line in the sand, saying it represented the range of Conversative to Liberal. He asked Dan where God would fall on the line. Neo went on to explain God would not be found on the line, but ABOVE the line.

I think the best quote I've ever heard concerning Pat Robertson is him being referred to as more of a business man more than a religious leader. And this holds water. Christianity is nothing more than his sales pitch. The guy tries to tie in politics with religion, and each time he does, he's severely pissing of Jesus for tying his name to one of our petty human squabbles.

I've come to learn what we know and what we think we know doesn't matter. I've recently denounced the myth of Creationism. Why? Because it doesn't hold water. Do I accept Evolution? Maybe. I've come to not have an opinion, because it doesn't matter. God cares about me, today, and that's what matters. I'd reccomend reading "Messy Spirituality" by Mike Yacconelli. It's a short read, but profound.

edit: oh yeah, and once again to Evangelical Christians. I'm sorry

I'm really sorry.

haha! I'm not sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back