AMD or INTEL?

prostock19

Reaction score
My Motherboard decided to retire on me. I want to upgrade. I am undecided between a P4 and an AMD? Besides price, any advantages or disadvantages between the 2?

AMD would be best for you if you play games...Intel isn't good for games as far as I know...

Originally posted by DBPowerWCRulez
Better get AMD and make custom puter yourself, it's cheaper than whole system..

I build custom. I was going to replace my Mobo. Seems like everyone likes AMD. I need convincing cuz I had AMD problems back in the 75Mhz P1 days.

Originally posted by prostock19
I build custom. I was going to replace my Mobo. Seems like everyone likes AMD. I need convincing cuz I had AMD problems back in the 75Mhz P1 days.

Same here, I had problem with older amd processor. That why I switched to dual celeron processor.

Recently in the fall, I decided to give it an another try. I built a AMD XP 1800+ computer, better than what I expected!

now, I just learn some of you said AMD is better. now I am going to buy next time. ok thanks for advice. :thumb:

AMD is cheaper and affordable. But I find is not great as I thought.

Intel always come with good quanity with P4 - but too expensive.

I think.

I'd go AMD...

Intel's chosen to design the Pentium 4 in a way that lets it run the clock rate up really high to impress the general public. The problem is that the design that lets it do that keeps it from working as efficiently as it otherwise would.

Internally, modern processors execute instructions much the way that stuff gets built on an assembly line, and the thing Intel did to make it easy to run the clock rate really high is make that assembly line very long.

The difference, though, is that things being built on an assembly line are independent of one another, but an instruction stream isn't like that--what some instructions do depend on the results of what has gone before. What are called "data dependencies" can induce "pipeline stalls," but modern compilers try to order instructions to avoid them, and do more or less well depending on the situation.

The nasty sort of dependency is caused by conditional branches...because when you hit one of those, the assembly line has to bet on which way the branch will go, and if it finds out it guessed wrong, a lot of stuff has to be thrown away--the longer the assembly line, the more gets tossed out. So processors devote a lot of effort to making that guess as good as possible--but you can never be always right.

The result of this is that some very simple-minded code that does the same thing over and over to a bunch of data does very well on a Pentium 4, but programs that aren't like that don't do well on a Pentium 4.

Over and above that, the Athlon does floating point way better than the Pentium 4. (Intel added the "SSE2" instructions to the Pentium 4, which gives an advantage somtimes, but OTOH SSE2 will be available on the AMD 64-bit processors.)

Finally, AMD chips give way better performance for a given price than Intel.

__AMD SUX___

AMD SUX big time because it died easy.. Intel p4 can last longer than AMD that why it cost more, i used to have 400mhz intel p2 and it still run today!!!

Re: __AMD SUX___

Originally posted by Xr0nX
AMD SUX big time because it died easy.. Intel p4 can last longer than AMD that why it cost more, i used to have 400mhz intel p2 and it still run today!!!
Impossible! AMD is my :bowdown:er

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
now, I just learn some of you said AMD is better. now I am going to buy next time. ok thanks for advice. :thumb:
Yeah, next time? :nono:, you go to buy it NOW than later!! :thumb:

I realize that this thread has been started at the beginning of last month. I thought about posting something that you might find useful.

Why does high percentage of company servers run P4s? Because it is stable.

Why does high percentage of home users use Athlons? Because it is cheap.

It all depends on what you want when you build or upgrade a computer system. If you want to play games, either Pentium 4 or Athlon XP can do the job. Heavy graphic usage would be preferred to be done on P4 in my opinion. I use Athlon for gaming and to build for my family members at a cheap price. They only use the computers to check emails. :D

Whatever you pick, make sure everything is compitable such as RAM, socket, and the bus speed.

Good luck in your decision.

Celeron Intel is cheap . Intel P3 or 4 are very expenisve if you have extra $ 200 and buy that one. I like Intel instead AMD. Intel runs long time as your toyota or honda. AMD is almost like FORD also Celeron is part of, too. It is up to you. depend on your budget. if you want ot buy AMD and go 4 it. Becuz your choce :)

Re: __AMD SUX___

Originally posted by Xr0nX

yea i agree with ya. intel without fans runs longer than AMD with fans.

my pc has 450mhz pen III. it still runs good.

my good friend who is web/graphic designer/MAC freak, tried to built PC with amd duran. it died in less than 3 months. he changed it to AMD athlon. so far it runs better....

yes, AMD is more cheap, but any motherboard for AMD is quietly more expensive.

i plan to built another pc for myself. not sure which AMD or INTEL to buy. i feel i ll buy AMD Athlon.

DO NOT BUY AMD Duran. that s what my friend suggested.

Last edited:
I've considered buying Pentium 4 but seem expensive so bought AND Athlon and am satisfied with it... no problem with my laptop... hope it'll last with me few years before I'll buy other better quality laptop... my dad has the best laptop I've seen....

Back