Am I too old to learn?? New to site

kermit 1

Reaction score
Hi, I want to learn ASL , Have been profoundly deaf for years, just recently learned how to use a computer, now want to get involved with the deaf community and learn ASL. Can anyone give a hand to an old lady? :wave:

I think the best way to find out how much you can learn is to try. Not just the best way, but an exciting thing to do:)

Do you have your own computer? Is someone helping you with it? I ask because if you can download Skype and learn to use it (if you haven't already done that), that could help you connect with other people on the board, even if they don't live near you.

Good luck exploring asl, and I hope you have a great time!

I don't know where North Hills is , but you will make better progress if you go take a class or find some way to get in person instruction.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum.

It is never too late or too old to learn how to sign ASL. All you need is to go into ASL class to learn basic ASL and then go on to next level. ASL help you get into communication with the Deaf community or going into the Deaf events. You won't be left out. I am sorry that you are without ASL for many years. Dang, those hearing people who kept you out of the Deaf community. :(

Just have fun and browse around the forum here. See you around here. :wave:

It may be best to concentrate on receptive ASL. You are better motivated for that, and arthritis and carpal tunnel could be problems. I can't crochet very much, because it sets off an ache in my thumb.

never to old to learn..i not young either.the computer great for getting to see other people even though most frustrating at times...i do bsl, i skype a few people in america we understand each other but ASL/BSL differs you welcome to skype me but dont want to confuse you

you're never too old to learn something new! I got friends that are starting up an ASL club at my school (I was considering joining the club after break and learn that now since my right ear decided to fall off the bridge lol*

Back