Advice?

Should I talk to him tomorrow?

• Yes. Take a chance!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Yes. But wait a while until you learn more ASL.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No. You don't have a chance.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lumosxoxo

Reaction score
Hey!

I'm hearing but i'm extremely interested in the Deaf Culture. I've been watching Youtube videos & I'm trying extremely hard to learn Sign Language. So far I learned the whole alphabet and a few words/phrases. I even enrolled in ASL as one of my courses for next year.

In my Psychology class there are two deaf students who sit in the front of the class and have interpreters. I am so facinated and I always watch the interpreters instead of my teacher. I'm learning Sign Language & Psychology at the same time... :) Ha ha!

When one of the students turned around I was completely mesmerized. I don't believe in "love at first sight" but there was definitely...something. I was thinking of talking to him after class. He was signing with one of his friends and I was looking at him, and he turned around and looked upset. I think he was insecure and thought I was looking at him because he was signing. But I was just looking at him because I think he looks really cute.

I want to talk to him but I don't want him to think i'm stupid because I can't sign properly. Do you have any advice? If you were in a University Psychology class and everyone was hearing, would you think it's stupid if a hearing girl approached you and tried to communicate with you, even if she's sort of awful at signing? Please give me some advice.

I was planning on signing"Hi, how are you?" tomorrow since it's Valentine's Day. Would that be really random?

Thanks.

-Lumosxoxo

Hey!

I'm hearing but i'm extremely interested in the Deaf Culture. I've been watching Youtube videos & I'm trying extremely hard to learn Sign Language. So far I learned the whole alphabet and a few words/phrases. I even enrolled in ASL as one of my courses for next year.

In my Psychology class there are two deaf students who sit in the front of the class and have interpreters. I am so facinated and I always watch the interpreters instead of my teacher. I'm learning Sign Language & Psychology at the same time... :) Ha ha!

When one of the students turned around I was completely mesmerized. I don't believe in "love at first sight" but there was definitely...something. I was thinking of talking to him after class. He was signing with one of his friends and I was looking at him, and he turned around and looked upset. I think he was insecure and thought I was looking at him because he was signing. But I was just looking at him because I think he looks really cute.

I want to talk to him but I don't want him to think i'm stupid because I can't sign properly. Do you have any advice? If you were in a University Psychology class and everyone was hearing, would you think it's stupid if a hearing girl approached you and tried to communicate with you, even if she's sort of awful at signing? Please give me some advice.

I was planning on signing"Hi, how are you?" tomorrow since it's Valentine's Day. Would that be really random?

Thanks.

-Lumosxoxo

yes it may be a bit weird seeing as if he signed back you'd prob have no Idea what he was signing lol maybe try a pen and paper and some signs too and make sure he knows you are VERY new to ASL.

Maybe ask him for text phone number once you get to know him better? I know this sounds de-motivational, but hey... here's a thought.

That would lead to your practices with ASL once you seduce him through text messages, lol, just kidding.

What I'm trying to say is, if he is more and more pulled into the interests on you, and getting to know to each other and all that. Ask yourself: might that potentially lead to your communicative improvisation?

Ok. Practice fingerspelling. Then fingerspell to the guy--- "Hello, my name is _________ and I think that cars with turbocharged engine are cool."

See if the guy laughs. If you fingerspell the whole thing, guy will be aware that you don't know ASL and fingerspell back to you.

Ok. Practice fingerspelling. Then fingerspell to the guy--- "Hello, my name is _________ and I think that cars with turbocharged engine are cool."

See if the guy laughs. If you fingerspell the whole thing, guy will be aware that you don't know ASL and fingerspell back to you.

Hey hey, let's be nice, drop the blunt culture thing lol... let's not get this de-movtiational thing from going to get worse... We desperately need a hearing member here on AD, right? ;)

EDIT: Actually, on second thought.. Limsoxoxo, maybe there is a shortcut. Not sure if this would work, but... maybe it would help you recognize fingerspell faster and recognize his style (that is, if he tricked you into spelling superfast...)

Practice in the order from A to Z fingerspelling in less than 40 seconds. Once you have suceeded, decrease the goal limit to 30. Then 25. 20. 15. Until you are satisfied.

Then do the backward spelling from Z to A in the same frame limit.

Last edited:
Hey hey, let's be nice, drop the blunt culture thing lol... let's not get this de-movtiational thing from going to get worse... We desperately need a hearing member here on AD, right? ;)

EDIT: Actually, on second thought.. Limsoxoxo, maybe there is a shortcut. Not sure if this would, but... maybe it would help you recognize fingerspell faster and recognize his style (that is, if he tricked you into spelling superfast...)

Practice in the order from A to Z fingerspelling in less than 40 seconds. Once you have suceeded, decrease the goal limit to 30. Then 25. 20. 15. Until you are satisfied.

Then do the backward spelling from Z to A in the same frame limit.

Yeah, hearing members are cool. Turbos are cool too!!

I like that fingerspelling idea :).

If you want to be smooth about it write down on a pad, "How do I sign You're handsome?"

learn a few signs relevent to the topic like 'are you bord'or be honest say you like to learn sign unless you ask you never know,wink at him next time he look at you...i find it awkward someone signing to me everyone looking he may aswel... you should be looking at teacher and he looking at signer or teacher..

learn a few signs relevent to the topic like 'are you bord'or be honest say you like to learn sign unless you ask you never know,wink at him next time he look at you...i find it awkward someone signing to me everyone looking he may aswel... you should be looking at teacher and he looking at signer or teacher..

You made an excellent point. I had a similar experience from AA meeting a while ago. I think it was in 2007. That night was either second or third or fourth or fifth time, but I know it wasn't the first time, that Jesse was there. EDIT: and i mean the "time" when Jesse was there.

He was some local community college student at ASL 2. I was attending GMU at the time. He was some two or three years younger than me, I think.

and, um, he did disrupt me at one point, with interpreter next to him, he held a "barrier" left arm so interpreter couldn't see his hidden right hand on the other side.

Guess what he said?

*winks* MILF, vaguely pointing his thumb to the woman next to him.

She was over 60 years old or something.

I was like... * :eek3: thinking :iough: *

And I kept my usual fascist seriousness look, and looked back to the interpreter after some more than five seconds.

After that night, I deleted his email contact information, facebook, everything.

Never heard from him again.

Back