Advice of moving abroad

Isn't moving abroad expensive and very time consuming? Obviously you will move with not much more than your clothes and needed items such as toiletries, money, medications, etc.

Occassionally I will think about moving to Canada, but I'm told the cost of living there is high compared to where I live now. =/

Anywho, less about me. I hope you are able to make the move to Oz!

Occassionally I will think about moving to Canada, but I'm told the cost of living there is high compared to where I live now. =/

Depends where you are moving to. Like the USA, the costs of living vary from place to place. Toronto is expensive to live in though, but you wouldn't want to live there anyway. You would probably prefer to live in a small city or rural community.

Rural communities can be cheap to live in compared to the cities.

Depends where you are moving to. Like the USA, the costs of living vary from place to place. Toronto is expensive to live in though, but you wouldn't want to live there anyway. You would probably prefer to live in a small city or rural community.

I wouldn't mind living in the cities, there are more opportunities there than in rural areas. I'm also told you are more likely to go from rags
To riches in Canada than you are in the USA.

I have wanted to go to Canada, but hubby says it's too cold in winter. That's his turn off. He's also not sure there is any work.

I wouldn't mind living in the cities, there are more opportunities there than in rural areas. I'm also told you are more likely to go from rags
To riches in Canada than you are in the USA.

You probably would be better off in moderate-sized cities with a population of 65,000 to 300,000. You don't want to live in a city with a population of 2.5 million. The costs of living is way, way higher in Toronto than it is in a lot of other places.

You probably would be better off in moderate-sized cities with a population of 65,000 to 300,000. You don't want to live in a city with a population of 2.5 million. The costs of living is way, way higher in Toronto than it is in a lot of other places.

Well are there cities there that are the size of Russellvile or Conway or Monroe? I can handle that.

What's the population of these cities?

Russellville is hovering around 92,000 I believe. It is a small college town not far from my current location.

Russellville is hovering around 92,000 I believe. It is a small college town not far from my current location.

Ajax, Brantford, Pickering and Waterloo in Ontario are in the population range of 90,000-100,000.

I have moved to Australia and have been living there for over 4 years.

I can't comment about visa, because I didn't apply any visa to live/work in Australia as I am a New Zealand Citizen. (NZ citizen doesn't need visa to live/work in Australia as automatically granted a Special Category Visa (SCV)).

Australian's Driver license, each States have their own rules, own State driver license... For example in Western Australia... On permanent visa, you can continue to drive on your overseas licence until you have resided in WA for three months. (Must apply WA license during that 3 months). So I did applied WA Driver License after two weeks from landing there in 2007.

ATO ( Australian Taxation Office): is where you can apply for TFN (Tax File Number) Australian Taxation Office Homepage I did applied TFN online and it took 3 weeks to get the TFN via snail mail.

A tip: **You don't want employer to pay 45% withhold tax from your pay income, if you don't have a TFN when you are working.**

But you can look it up to find out about your WHVisa if you can apply online or have to fill it in via ATO TFN paper work.

LOL - the ATO is right next to my work building and it's massive :D
Compared to my small one -.-

Sydney is a great place to live however expensive, but then again, has a huge deaf community there compared to mine in Canberra.

Sunny_signs - I am from Canberra which is 3 - 2.5 hours south of Sydney. (north from my end)

I visit Canberra when I live Sydney! Not remember it be that far from Sydney though! Think Canberra very pretty! Walk around parliament buildings, downtown, find canadian consulate accident! Very cool!

As an Aussie on far away shores, when I return home from being overseas, the first place I go government-wise is Centrelink. They usually inform you of what you must do to get settled and assist you in job searches.

It is advised not to bring any foodstuffs, plant or animal matter or any steriod-based medication (not to mention illicit drugs) into Australia. Our customs and immigration is very strict and they have sniffer dogs check luggage.

Australian Information and Fun Things to Do Free is a good website to visit about Australia.

BTW, Australia is a vast country with major cities days apart.

Hope that helps.

Isn't moving abroad expensive and very time consuming? Obviously you will move with not much more than your clothes and needed items such as toiletries, money, medications, etc.

Anywho, less about me. I hope you are able to make the move to Oz!

Yeah I know it will be expensive to move, my target to have over 5 grands to move even I'm choosing Sydney but outside of Sydney which it will be better to live in.

Thanks, yes I agree with you about that.

I have moved to Australia and have been living there for over 4 years.

I can't comment about visa, because I didn't apply any visa to live/work in Australia as I am a New Zealand Citizen. (NZ citizen doesn't need visa to live/work in Australia as automatically granted a Special Category Visa (SCV)).

Australian's Driver license, each States have their own rules, own State driver license... For example in Western Australia... On permanent visa, you can continue to drive on your overseas licence until you have resided in WA for three months. (Must apply WA license during that 3 months). So I did applied WA Driver License after two weeks from landing there in 2007.

ATO ( Australian Taxation Office): is where you can apply for TFN (Tax File Number) Australian Taxation Office Homepage I did applied TFN online and it took 3 weeks to get the TFN via snail mail.

A tip: **You don't want employer to pay 45% withhold tax from your pay income, if you don't have a TFN when you are working.**

But you can look it up to find out about your WHVisa if you can apply online or have to fill it in via ATO TFN paper work.

Ahh thanks for information. You are lucky to be NZ citizen.

As an Aussie on far away shores, when I return home from being overseas, the first place I go government-wise is Centrelink. They usually inform you of what you must do to get settled and assist you in job searches.

It is advised not to bring any foodstuffs, plant or animal matter or any steriod-based medication (not to mention illicit drugs) into Australia. Our customs and immigration is very strict and they have sniffer dogs check luggage.

Australian Information and Fun Things to Do Free is a good website to visit about Australia.

BTW, Australia is a vast country with major cities days apart.

Hope that helps.

Yes I already know about those information anyway thank you very much for informations.

Sydney inner west best place live Sydney. Newtown best suburb! So much to do. Very close Broadway Centre, very close Glebe markets, very close Enmore Theatre, on train line, on bus lines, right at Sydney Uni, centre arts life basically. Plus every type restaurant known to man. Even have Cold Rock on King Street! King Street Newtown just end to end fabulous restaurants, shops...have very amazing Elizabeth's Books eith old books, rare books...very cool.

Marrickville area lovely, have nice shops (Marrickville Metro) and is close city centre but not too close. Petersham have cool Portuguese population - stores, restaurants. Ashfield nice too, right on Parramatta Road. Not so expensive live these places! Oh! Great Chinese place deliver this area...in ummm crap....suburb have two name....hurlstone park! Hah! Golden dragon maybe name? So yum anyway.

Wirelessly posted

And not to forget - we drive on the opposite side of the road.

Back