Advice about choosing a internet service and ethernet

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I could use cable modem for my computer cuz I don't have cablevision. I use DirecTV satellite provider. I don't really want to use DSL broadband. Do any one of you have ethernet at home?? I would like to know more about it. It is soo frustrating that I can't go online same time as my sister. We both go online alot. I use AOL for now until I find fast, cheap and safe way to use internet. It took me forever to look up for something on AOL-very slow!
:roll:

Any suggestion??
Thanks in advance.
Kim

:dunno: abt that - i suggest u check with ur local ISP

oooo needs to be moved to Computers forum !

You want to have DSL share network? Get Router.

I don't think AOL will allow. Hmm..... I dunno...

I use ISP from my local phone company internet access to connect to the internet or on aol. I hate using the aol access numbers, they suck..always getting kicked off.

My friend recently connected up new aol broadband from 23.90 to 14.95 per monthly I think special offer limit. Also required with cable modem. I will use that aol broadband later.

Originally posted by illustrator

I didn't say I want to have DSL. I said I don't really want to use DSL broadband lol. I guess it is cuz I heard that u still can get kicked off using that and I would like to change to other service that is better than AOL. I wish AOL is faster so I could look up for more info on this crap. :(

Originally posted by SilverRoxy
I didn't say I want to have DSL. I said I don't really want to use DSL broadband lol. I guess it is cuz I heard that u still can get kicked off using that and I would like to change to other service that is better than AOL. I wish AOL is faster so I could look up for more info on this crap. :(

girl girl, get DSL behind AOL. or cable. understandy? AOL suck - big time...

If I were you, I'd get Optimum Online (www.optimumonline.com) from Cablevision. I believe they give you a free modem (request for a Motorola SurfBoard), and you pay only $19.95 for the first three months. You can hook it up using Ethernet or USB.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Alex
If I were you, I'd get Optimum Online (www.optimumonline.com) from Cablevision. I believe they give you a free modem (request for a Motorola SurfBoard), and you pay only $19.95 for the first three months. You can hook it up using Ethernet or USB.

Good luck.
I tried to order that one but it is not available in my area. :mad2:

Originally posted by illustrator

can do it if both of u use seperate accounts for aol then both of u can go on line same time via router

Originally posted by Alex

Good luck.

That sounds good, but I dont have cable TV service. I think they also use the same cable for TV.

:|

I am not sure if I could use cable modem for my computer cuz I don't have cablevision. I use DirecTV satellite provider. I don't really want to use DSL broadband. Do any one of you have ethernet at home?? I would like to know more about it. It is soo frustrating that I can't go online same time as my sister. We both go online alot. I use AOL for now until I find fast, cheap and safe way to use internet. It took me forever to look up for something on AOL-very slow!
:roll:

Any suggestion??
Thanks in advance.
Kim

Your confusing your internet service provider with your browser.

You got to stop using AOL to get around the internet on.

After you log on to the internet through your ISP (right now thats AOL) Start using internet explorer and then setup your Outlook to manage your email.

That is way better than AOL. Then all you got to do is find a new ISP and get that AOL crap removed from your comp.

Re: Re: Advice about choosing a internet service and ethernet

Originally posted by Cain Marko
Your confusing your internet service provider with your browser.

You got to stop using AOL to get around the internet on.

After you log on to the internet through your ISP (right now thats AOL) Start using internet explorer and then setup your Outlook to manage your email.

That is way better than AOL. Then all you got to do is find a new ISP and get that AOL crap removed from your comp.

mmm, interesting. what is ISP exactly? does it stand for internet service provider. if I get rid of AOL, could I use IE as ISP? if not, what web address or internet search should I look up for ISP information?

Re: Re: Re: Advice about choosing a internet service and ethernet

mmm, interesting. what is ISP exactly? does it stand for internet service provider. if I get rid of AOL, could I use IE as ISP? if not, what web address or internet search should I look up for ISP information?

There are 2 things.

1. get online
2. move around online

with aol you pay one fee for both functions. yet you dont have too. you dont have to use AOL to browse around. You more than likely have IE or netscape on your computer right now. get a new isp and start using IE internet explorer to browse the web.

go to your local phone company or tv company or whatever and see what their rates are for an ISP.

The most important thing is to get away from the AOL bureacracy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advice about choosing a internet service and ethernet

Originally posted by Cain Marko
There are 2 things.

1. get online
2. move around online

with aol you pay one fee for both functions. yet you dont have too. you dont have to use AOL to browse around. You more than likely have IE or netscape on your computer right now. get a new isp and start using IE internet explorer to browse the web.

go to your local phone company or tv company or whatever and see what their rates are for an ISP.

The most important thing is to get away from the AOL bureacracy.

mmm...I use Directv satellite and they probably only have DSL. I went on www.verizon.com for info on rates for ISP. I am little confused about choosing a ISP. There are few different internet services from Verizon. Can you help me out by taking a look at verizon.com and clarify for me? I feel like a moron for asking u this lol.
Thank u so much for ur help!
:D
Kim

i have verizon dsl too also a free dsl modem from aol. so that suit for me just fine.

Originally posted by s i m o n s e z
i use Verizon DSL... works like a charm
I am going to switch from cable modem to Verizon DSL next week.

Back