Votes: 21 70.0%
  • I regret having had a CI done.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other. (please state)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
The polls don't have "I am plan to get CI" Or "I will get a CI soon"

Endy,

Have you considered talking to Advanced Bionics, Cochlear Americas, or Med-El to help you find people who match your hearing history and have you e-mail them? I don't know about meeting them, but it won't hurt to ask.

I know support is really important, Endy. I know of a teenager who had a CI when she was 6 years old. She said she loved it, then when she got to her deaf school, she didn't have good support and kids teased her. She liked it for music at home. She met another friend who had a CI when he was 3 and wore it all the time (I spoke to him, too). He went to an oral school before and seemed to have a healthy attitude about where he stood with his CI. She was changing her mind about wearing it. To me, reading between the lines of her e-mails, she liked her CI. I felt that she was confused where to stand with her CI.

I believe good support is very important.

Good one, Pinky. I am one of them --- I am planning to get CI. Probably within a year, I will get a CI soon after I collect the information to make a right decision.

Good one, Pinky. I am one of them --- I am planning to get CI. Probably within a year, I will get a CI soon after I collect the information to make a right decision.

That's cool! I am looking forward to receive it. I made a right decide for my life. :) Good luck for you to take it. :thumb:

I know support is really important, Endy. ...then when she got to her deaf school, she didn't have good support and kids teased her... I felt that she was confused where to stand with her CI...

Oh boy, I feel so bad for not supporting those CIs in my high school years. I did not tease them, I respect their choices however I did not stand up for them. I pray that they'd forgive me. Now, I realize that I'd be falling in her position where she'd stand with her CI. This should not be an issue for me personally because I haven't seen a Deaf person for a week or two. I am in my hearing crowd most times, it'd be comfortable supporting my position with CIs.

If I run into someone who is Deaf, it'd be awkard. I think it'd best if I don't mention them that I have one. Unless someone asks me, I'd answer yes and I tell them it's my decision and personal choice. I know that I will be alright because I am in the hearing crowd most times after I get CIs.

As I am typing this now, I currently lack the support from Deaf Community and desperate to reconnect or rekindle my relationship with Deaf Community... and still its not getting me anywhere with them. It's most disappointing for me. That's what led me to start thinking about CIs. That would not make any difference whether I need their support after I get ones. Hearings are the ones who are there for me most times. The support is awesome than I thought. I agree with you that support is most essential thing to have in my personal (even spiritually and mentally) development.

Thank you for sharing with me.

No, because they are for CI users. Since they know what a CI feels like which you and me don't.

If you have friends with CI then you can use the other poll I created. If not I suggest you better find some real life friends with CI. They can help you through the experience. They will also know better if you are suitable. It's easy to give advice on line but sometimes the advice really needs to depend on the person you are speaking to.

In my personal experience not everyone IS a viable canditdate for a CI.

They will also know better if you are suitable...

In my personal experience not everyone IS a viable canditdate for a CI.

Suitable? What would make one to be candidate for a CI? What if they want one so badly?

Suitable? What would make one to be candidate for a CI? What if they want one so badly?

Some of the criteria for being a good CI candidate include having healthy cochlea, a functioning auditory nerve, 40% or less speech discrimination with hearing aids (or no hearing aids if you do not benefit from them), reasonable expectations of what the CI can/can't do and a willingness to work hard in order to understand what is heard through the CI.

A person may want a CI badly, but if they don't meet the criteria above, they won't be accepted as a candidate -- no matter how much they might want a CI.

Am I a candidate?

Some of the criteria for being a good CI candidate include having healthy cochlea, a functioning auditory nerve, 40% or less speech discrimination with hearing aids (or no hearing aids if you do not benefit from them), reasonable expectations of what the CI can/can't do and a willingness to work hard in order to understand what is heard through the CI.

I see... Sounds like I may not be a candidate. I was a perfect baby with hearing, until 14 months old... I lost both to spinal meningitis. My cilia hair is wiped out. However, my past audiologists were eager developing on my hearing ability with hearing aids. Most of the times I wore HA in my mainstreaming programs in elementary and middle schools. I had been in my speech therapy whole time in my young years meanwhile I heavily use ASL. I became more active and I rarely use HA in my high school because of daily uses of interpreters. Last two years, I was transferred to Deaf school.

I can lipread a little bit, thanks to my jobs, I picked up on my pace to understand people through reading lips. What about my right ear - 95dB and left 110dB (both no aids). My willigness to work hard in order to understand and aim to get great benefits.

However my parents did their homeworks, the ENT doctor recommended my parents the ideas of CI when I was 11 years old.

Would I fall in the category to be a potential candidate?

Oh boy, I feel so bad for not supporting those CIs in my high school years. I did not tease them, I respect their choices however I did not stand up for them. I pray that they'd forgive me. Now, I realize that I'd be falling in her position where she'd stand with her CI. This should not be an issue for me personally because I haven't seen a Deaf person for a week or two. I am in my hearing crowd most times, it'd be comfortable supporting my position with CIs.

If I run into someone who is Deaf, it'd be awkard. I think it'd best if I don't mention them that I have one. Unless someone asks me, I'd answer yes and I tell them it's my decision and personal choice. I know that I will be alright because I am in the hearing crowd most times after I get CIs.

As I am typing this now, I currently lack the support from Deaf Community and desperate to reconnect or rekindle my relationship with Deaf Community... and still its not getting me anywhere with them. It's most disappointing for me. That's what led me to start thinking about CIs. That would not make any difference whether I need their support after I get ones. Hearings are the ones who are there for me most times. The support is awesome than I thought. I agree with you that support is most essential thing to have in my personal (even spiritually and mentally) development.

Thank you for sharing with me.

You don't have to feel bad. I think you just didn't know better. It's just cool that you're open about it and respect people having a CI. I was just trying to show how support is a positive thing. The same applies to Hearing Aids. I knew a few kids who felt insecure with Hearing Aids and not wear them.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't know how the Deaf Community would react to my CI if I came and signed with them, and they ask about my CI. I think we should not be ashamed of who we are. Real friends respect who you are, and I believe there are still Deaf people who like being Deaf but support our CI choice.

I see... Sounds like I may not be a candidate. I was a perfect baby with hearing, until 14 months old... I lost both to spinal meningitis. My cilia hair is wiped out. However, my past audiologists were eager developing on my hearing ability with hearing aids. Most of the times I wore HA in my mainstreaming programs in elementary and middle schools. I had been in my speech therapy whole time in my young years meanwhile I heavily use ASL. I became more active and I rarely use HA in my high school because of daily uses of interpreters. Last two years, I was transferred to Deaf school.

I can lipread a little bit, thanks to my jobs, I picked up on my pace to understand people through reading lips. What about my right ear - 95dB and left 110dB (both no aids). My willigness to work hard in order to understand and aim to get great benefits.

However my parents did their homeworks, the ENT doctor recommended my parents the ideas of CI when I was 11 years old.

Would I fall in the category to be a potential candidate?

You do seem like a good candidate. I think you may be misunderstanding what others were saying. But of course, only an audiologist and ENT can confirm that for you. Your db loss is in the right category, and if you must lipread because you don't have a lot of speech discrimination, that's another perfect criteria. The fact that you have used hearing aids (keeping the brain sharp on sounds) and use speech will help tremendously after a CI.

I guess I've been lucky in that my local Deaf and deafblind communities did not reject me simply because of my CIs. One of the reasons for that is the fact I completely respect a Deaf or deafblind person's decision not to have a CI if that's what they choose. I think what's important to the Deaf community (and I could be wrong about this) is that you continue to communicate in sign without pushing or forcing your views about CIs on them. (Note: I'm not saying that's what you're doing Endy -- just making a comment about people in general.)

I have to admit that after I received my first CI, I worried about whether or not I would continue participating in the Deaf and deafblind community. I thought I'd become so involved in the hearing world that I'd forget about my Deaf and deafblind friends. I'm happy to report that this hasn't been the case. If anything, I spend *more* time with both communities because I feel as if I have a special bond with these individuals. In many respects, I look at them as family.

After my first implantation, I was concerned about how others in the Deaf and deafblind communities would view me now that I had a CI. To my surprise, everyone was very happy for me and totally accepted my decision.

If anyone in either one of these communities walks up to me and asks if I think they should get a CI, my response always is "Only *you* can answer that question. Just because a CI is right for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone. That's why you need to do your research and decide if it's the best choice for you."

You do seem like a good candidate. I think you may be misunderstanding what others were saying. But of course, only an audiologist and ENT can confirm that for you. Your db loss is in the right category, and if you must lipread because you don't have a lot of speech discrimination, that's another perfect criteria. The fact that you have used hearing aids (keeping the brain sharp on sounds) and use speech will help tremendously after a CI.

I agree with AlleyCat. Based on what you've written, you do sound like a good candidate. As for your dB loss, it looks as if it would fit the severe-profound or profound range (which is the hearing loss criteria for a CI). The fact that you've used hearing aids will be a definite plus because it will make your adjustment to sound that much easier. In my case, I didn't have any speech discrimination (actually I had 8% in my left ear and 20% in my right) yet I continued to wear my hearing aids to hear environmental sounds. According to my first CI audi, she said she was glad I continued to wear aids because they helped keep my nerves stimulated. This, in turn, made for a much easier transition when it came to my CI activation.

That's the great relief for me. *whew* That was what I misunderstood.
Many thanks!!!

*mwah mwah* for clarification. Of course, I am very aware that I have to pay an audiologist and ENT doctor a visit to confirm the real deal. I believe that I am a candidate, for sure!!

Funny thing is that I enjoy the musical plays, such as RENT, Mouge Roulin, Chicago, Sound of Music and few more musical plays. I am looking forward to listen those musicial plays. (smile)

I agree with AlleyCat. Based on what you've written, you do sound like a good candidate. As for your dB loss, it looks as if it would fit the severe-profound or profound range (which is the hearing loss criteria for a CI). The fact that you've used hearing aids will be a definite plus because it will make your adjustment to sound that much easier. In my case, I didn't have any speech discrimination (actually I had 8% in my left ear and 20% in my right) yet I continued to wear my hearing aids to hear environmental sounds. According to my first CI audi, she said she was glad I continued to wear aids because they helped keep my nerves stimulated. This, in turn, made for a much easier transition when it came to my CI activation.

Excellent. That's another relief!

That's the great relief for me. *whew* That was what I misunderstood.
Many thanks!!!

*mwah mwah* for clarification. Of course, I am very aware that I have to pay an audiologist and ENT doctor a visit to confirm the real deal. I believe that I am a candidate, for sure!!

Funny thing is that I enjoy the musical plays, such as RENT, Mouge Roulin, Chicago, Sound of Music and few more musical plays. I am looking forward to listen those musicial plays. (smile)

You're welcome !! :) Check with your insurance company. They may cover the entire cost of this procedure (most do!), including the audiologist, ENT, surgery, everything. You may have a deductible or out-of-pocket maximum, but your insurance company can advise you on what that is. I have a $2,000 yearly out-of-pocket max and that is all I will be paying for this entire procedure, assuming I am deemed a good candidate when I go in November.

If anyone in either one of these communities walks up to me and asks if I think they should get a CI, my response always is "Only *you* can answer that question. Just because a CI is right for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone. That's why you need to do your research and decide if it's the best choice for you."

This is very good response! I am totally with you on this one. I am doing for myself because I have to do something with my living situation, job situation, and social interactions, so on. That's for me, my personal choice/decision. I'd answer their questions, just like you answered their questions.

Nice response, HearAgain.

This is very good response! I am totally with you on this one. I am doing for myself because I have to do something with my living situation, job situation, and social interactions, so on. That's for me, my personal choice/decision. I'd answer their questions, just like you answered their questions.

Nice response, HearAgain.

Thanks, Endy! :)

Back