Adoption of a deaf child from China

Hey, I would like to talk to you about the adoption proceedings. My husband and I are thinking of adopting a deaf baby or child next year. Is the process very expensive and difficult? Appreciate any info you are willing to share! :wave:

Same here... but not until later.

Welcome to AD, Denise-China!
Congrats on the adoption of your deaf daughter. I pray the journey will go smoothly once you bring her to US.

Hope you and your family will have fun learning ASL and getting involved with deaf community.

You could contact Posts from Hell as he's from Colorado, too. He can give you info on deaf events in CO.

Cheers!

Hey, I would like to talk to you about the adoption proceedings. My husband and I are thinking of adopting a deaf baby or child next year. Is the process very expensive and difficult? Appreciate any info you are willing to share! :wave:

Oh my gosh: I think you would be a dream come true for a deaf child, Shel!

But for all who are interested, I think the China program is just wonderful! For China, there are specific agencies that have been approved for China adoptions, we used one near to us called Wide Horizons for Children .

The wonderful thing about China adoptions (aside from the amazing children, of course) is that the process is very well defined, regimented, and although you can't always predict how much time it may take from first step in the application to bringing home the little one (it took us nearly 3 years), the steps are very well documented and established, Chinese adoptions are nothing if not bureaucratic, few surprises along the way. Costs are fixed and made clear upfront, so there's not a lot of legal wrangling or official bribery once you get in-country, as there is in some of the other programs.

They didn't know Anna-Li was deaf, so I don't know the specifics of the special needs (waiting child) process, but I understand it's much faster, costs a great deal less, requires a very slightly different approval process, and is just a wonderful path to take.

It took nearly a year for us to complete our full dossier, which is an approved application plus all the results of a series of social worker home visits, medical exams, interviews, all the original documentation required for our births, marriage, immigration paperwork had to be approved and certified in 3 states, and then some were completed a second time because several items took months after which the documents we had been able to complete at the very start had expired).

We then waited almost 2 years for our completed package to make its way through the Chinese queue (unfortunately, the SARS crisis backed up the China process during the year before we adopted, so it was unusually slow for everyone at that time), but finally we got a call in December with a name, weight, age, sex, province, followed a week later with a small photo from some unknown months prior and some cryptic hastily translated intake forms (with info such as the name of the orphanage, and that Li was eating solid foods, had regular bowel movements, her favorite toy was a music box, and she was stubborn, didn't listen to her caretakers :O ) . We were told we'd need to make our plans to bring home a baby -- and fast! We'd be going to China for 2 weeks in January to pick her up -- we traveled in a group with 20 other families from the Northeast all doing the same thing, adopting from the same orphanage, during Chinese New Year. Tons of paperwork both here and then during our 2+ weeks in China, but all very well guided.

As Denise likely knows, it has been the most incredible and wonderful adventure.

This first shot is less than 10 minutes after she was handed to me, in a crush of hundreds, our groups plus families all around us adopting from Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, with officials calling out names and handing out tiny, frightened, crying babies one after another. The second shot is a few days later, and the 3rd is taken our first week back home.
373550723_9b628491dc_m.jpg
378254699_495a850996_m.jpg
392424632_c97881ff2a_m.jpg

Oh my gosh: I think you would be a dream come true for a deaf child, Shel!

But for all who are interested, I think the China program is just wonderful! For China, there are specific agencies that have been approved for China adoptions, we used one near to us called Wide Horizons for Children .

The wonderful thing about China adoptions (aside from the amazing children, of course) is that the process is very well defined, regimented, and although you can't always predict how much time it may take from first step in the application to bringing home the little one (it took us nearly 3 years), the steps are very well documented and established, Chinese adoptions are nothing if not bureaucratic, few surprises along the way. Costs are fixed and made clear upfront, so there's not a lot of legal wrangling or official bribery once you get in-country, as there is in some of the other programs.

They didn't know Anna-Li was deaf, so I don't know the specifics of the special needs (waiting child) process, but I understand it's much faster, costs a great deal less, requires a very slightly different approval process, and is just a wonderful path to take.

It took nearly a year for us to complete our full dossier, which is an approved application plus all the results of a series of social worker home visits, medical exams, interviews, all the original documentation required for our births, marriage, immigration paperwork had to be approved and certified in 3 states, and then some were completed a second time because several items took months after which the documents we had been able to complete at the very start had expired).

We then waited almost 2 years for our completed package to make its way through the Chinese queue (unfortunately, the SARS crisis backed up the China process during the year before we adopted, so it was unusually slow for everyone at that time), but finally we got a call in December with a name, weight, age, sex, province, followed a week later with a small photo from some unknown months prior and some cryptic hastily translated intake forms (with info such as the name of the orphanage, and that Li was eating solid foods, had regular bowel movements, her favorite toy was a music box, and she was stubborn, didn't listen to her caretakers :O ) . We were told we'd need to make our plans to bring home a baby -- and fast! We'd be going to China for 2 weeks in January to pick her up -- we traveled in a group with 20 other families from the Northeast all doing the same thing, adopting from the same orphanage, during Chinese New Year. Tons of paperwork both here and then during our 2+ weeks in China, but all very well guided.

As Denise likely knows, it has been the most incredible and wonderful adventure.

This first shot is less than 10 minutes after she was handed to me, in a crush of hundreds, our groups plus families all around us adopting from Germany, France, Sweden, Spain, with officials calling out names and handing out tiny, frightened, crying babies one after another. The second shot is a few days later, and the 3rd is taken our first week back home.
373550723_9b628491dc_m.jpg
378254699_495a850996_m.jpg
392424632_c97881ff2a_m.jpg

Omg how cute was she??? And young when you got her!! So sweet!!

I have been watching "Signing Time" with Alex and Leah. You can find them at libraries. Also baby signing time. My son loves it!

deaf son from Guatemala

Hi Denise,
I too am an adoptive mom (hearing) of a deaf son from Guatemala. My son is almost 9 now but I remember the journey of learning sign and about the deaf community.... still on the journey. I knew that parenthood would change my life in so many ways but I had no way of knowing the blessings of parenting a deaf child. I feel so blessed to have opened a door into a rich, diverse and previously unknown culture to me. Congratulations on your adoption and enjoy the ride!
Merideth

Back