About this Deaf Culture thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another non answer. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

See the edit. There is more than enough information for you to digest.

You are actually surprised that I won't walk into your traps?

Now, let's get back on topic. If you want to defend drphil, I suggest you start a thread to do so. This is a thread devoted to the discussion of cultural concerns, and drphil, by his own admission, does not fit into that area of concern.

I know what you mean. That's a legitimate gripe. (I wish he'd learn to use the signature feature.)

But that's aside from making a judgment on CI users that if they get a CI it's because they are resisting deafness or don't accept being deaf. People get CI's for a variety of personal reasons. Some CI people here may be too intimidated by such statements to speak up.

he KNOWS how to use the signature feature. He just refuses to. Just one example.

It does seem illogical that if someone was not accepting his deafness he would seek out a forum that is all about being deaf.

Being deaf is not the same experience for every individual.

What works for one person doesn't work for another.

I'll have to agree whole heartedly on this one.

he KNOWS how to use the signature feature. He just refuses to. Just one example.

Exactly. Reba just seems not to have taken the time to inform herself of the history and the sequence of events related to drphil and his insulting responses to Deaf members.

I'll have to agree whole heartedly on this one.

And I will have to wholeheartedly tell you the same thing that has been told to others that have attempted to take this thread off topic. Either stick to the topic as expressed in the OP or don't bother to post here. All off topic posts will be reported as trolling. There are members that have expressed an interest and an enjoyment from this thread, and it is absolutely childish that a few seem to think it would be fun to attempt to ruin a discussion being participated in and enjoyed by Deaf members of this forum. Go find another playground, or abide by the rules of this one.

Gotcha. He's annoying, no question. I try to overlook personality irritations. ;)

You could say that. When he has proved himself to be capable of learning and adapting but refuses to he leaves himself with no excuse for his actions.

Exactly. Reba just seems not to have taken the time to inform herself of the history and the sequence of events related to drphil and his insulting responses to Deaf members.
Sigh . . . so it's about me now. Terrific.

Yes, I know he can be a pain in the butt. Lots of posters can be. So? We can respond without being equally insulting, can we not?

You could say that. When he has proved himself to be capable of learning and adapting but refuses to he leaves himself with no excuse for his actions.
I hope people are more patient with you when you hit his age. :giggle:

And I will have to wholeheartedly tell you the same thing that has been told to others that have attempted to take this thread off topic. Either stick to the topic as expressed in the OP or don't bother to post here. All off topic posts will be reported as trolling. There are members that have expressed an interest and an enjoyment from this thread, and it is absolutely childish that a few seem to think it would be fun to attempt to ruin a discussion being participated in and enjoyed by Deaf members of this forum. Go find another playground, or abide by the rules of this one.

I'll have to agree wholeheartedly on this one.

See the edit. There is more than enough information for you to digest.
Why didn't you say so in the first place?

You are actually surprised that I won't walk into your traps?
Traps? Are you paranoid or something? Why do you see ulterior motives anytime I ask a simple question?

Now, let's get back on topic. If you want to defend drphil, I suggest you start a thread to do so. This is a thread devoted to the discussion of cultural concerns, and drphil, by his own admission, does not fit into that area of concern.
:bowdown:

I see what you did there.

I'll love you even when you are old and decrepit. But that has nothing to do with the problems we are having with one member. Nor is it on topic.:P And it would appear that some people are having difficulty understanding what "on topic" means. I really hate to be put in a position where I have to report posts that continue even after it has been requested that people stay on topic.

My posts are quite clear. No one else has had difficulty understanding them.
That you know about.

However, as I have stated several times in this thread, it is not a thread about drphil. It is a thread examining why some deaf seem to feel the need to look down on those that are culturally Deaf and to be very vocal about their perceived superiority to those that are culturally Deaf. If one does not agree with the cultural view, one needs only to leave those threads alone. However, drphil seems to be insistent upon coming into any thread on culture for no other reason than to sarcastically question the existence of such. He spends an innordinate amount of time telling anyone who will still even read his posts that the accepted experts on the topic have no idea what they are talking about, and he continually insults members who support the cultural view. Frankly, it has nothing to do with CI. It has to do with his obsession over the date that he supposedly became deaf (repeated ad nauseum and despite the fact that he had worn HAs for 30 years prior to that, and his claims (again ad nauseum) that deafness is total silence and has nothing to do with cultural perspectives. Perhaps if you had taken time to go back and read the posts he has been making, it would be more clear to you what is transpiring between drphil and many, many members of this forum. But thanks for singling me out. Its great that you would think I am that important.
Guess what? It's not "all about you." You're not that important to me. But you did make the statement about the CI, and I wanted to be sure that you didn't mean deaf people in general get CI's in order to resist or not accept their deafness.

Obviously I don't "fit" in your thread, so I will depart. I didn't want to first appear rude by ignoring your reply to me though.

It does seem illogical that if someone was not accepting his deafness he would seek out a forum that is all about being deaf.

Being deaf is not the same experience for every individual.

What works for one person doesn't work for another.

I have stated before in this thread. If one wants to come to AllDeaf to connect with other deaf people like them and have no interest in Deaf culture, FINE. The problem is that they criticize Deaf culture. What is the purpose of criticizing Deaf culture if one has no experience and no interest in becoming a member of it?

After 2 warnings I posted in this thread... it's time to take a break.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back