About this Deaf Culture thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod note:

Let's stay on topic and have a civil debate about Deaf Culture. There was another similar thread that was closed and I wouldn't want to have to close this one again.

Thanks.

I saw that you were sad Bott and thought....ohhhh :-(
:aw: I second BecLak for you and your :hug:

kind wishes for all.....

As duly many times- I am deaf. I do use a Cochlear Implant-still deaf. Have no direct knowledge of "secret deaf values". Is this a modern version of Gnosticism?

There are no "secret" Deaf values. And the reason you have no knowledge of Deaf values is because you choose not to have any knowledge of deaf values.
And no, it has nothing to do with Gnosticism.

:roll:The fingerspellling was to persons I knew- "hearies" who never knew they BELONGED TO HEARING CULTURE. Surprised that I asked them.

Of course they did not understand that they belong to hearing culture. They have no experience with Deaf culture. That is like asking someone as ignorant as yourself on the topic to confirm your ignorance.
Conversely is there ONLY "hearing values" known to "hearies"? Does any person who becomes deaf after birth reject "these values" becoming deaf?

Again, I direct you back to Lane. Read with comprehension the next time.

Presumably Harlan Lane, a "hearie". subscribes to "both sets of values"? I don't recall much discussion "deaf values" in his book.

If you don't recall it, it is because you choose not to grasp what the man is saying. You are willfully ignorant.
Is the above: high/low/medium/fluid// style of thinking?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07
The above is disordered, illogical thinking. Has nothing to do with high or low context, and certainly is not fluid.

Bottesini: Just completed another research project at Sunnybrook/Toronto re: Cochlear Implants--distinguishing the "degree of loudness" of sounds to each other on a scale of 10 different intensities.Real fun with beeps!

Prof SKY sends your herd of hounds lots of meows.

Implanted A B Harmony Activated Aug/07

Bottesini: Just completed another research project at Sunnybrook/Toronto re: Cochlear Implants--distinguishing the "degree of loudness" of sounds to each other on a scale of 10 different intensities.Real fun with beeps!

Please see Calvin's warning. You are off topic again. If you wish to have a personal discussion with Bott, use your PM feature.

Dogs say Hi to Prof Sky. Maybe your participation in the CI research can help others. :)

Please see Calvin's warning. You are off topic again. If you wish to have a personal discussion with Bott, use your PM feature.

Sorry, I responded before I saw this.

I tried to slip in a load of laundry before the troops awoke, including cat and dogs, and unfortunately my washer went on the fritz, bleeting out a repeated series of annoyingly loud error-message-associated beeps that -- followed by a chorus of resulting barking -- woke all, whether by beep or by pounding hound feet leaping on the bed.

By the time I raced out of the shower to stop the noise, Li had her CI on, and was shouting that the washer was going "beep, beep beep!", suggesting we change the battery or call the audiologist to fix the machine.

Your post reminded me that this sort of experience -- that particular diagnosis -- is pretty unique to a very specific group of people. Can't imagine a hearing kid making that connection.

I tried to slip in a load of laundry before the troops awoke, including cat and dogs, and unfortunately my washer went on the fritz, bleeting out a repeated series of annoyingly loud error-message-associated beeps that -- followed by a chorus of resulting barking -- woke all, whether by beep or by pounding hound feet leaping on the bed.

By the time I raced out of the shower to stop the noise, Li had her CI on, and was shouting that the washer was going "beep, beep beep!", suggesting we change the battery or call the audiologist to fix the machine.

Your post reminded me that this sort of experience -- that particular diagnosis -- is pretty unique to a very specific group of people. Can't imagine a hearing kid making that connection.

A hearing kid would not suggest changing a battery? I can see a hearing kid doing that.

A hearing kid would not suggest changing a battery? I can see a hearing kid doing that.

Hearing kids would suggest changing the battery on or calling an audi for a washing machine? After hearing a sequence of beeps similar to the warning sound made by a dying CI?

Hearing kids would suggest changing the battery on or calling an audi for a washing machine? After hearing a sequence of beeps similar to the warning sound made by a dying CI?

Not calling an audi? But what is your exact point. It isn't exactly useful information when it comes to a washing machine.

And yes, after hearing a series of beeps coming from any appliance, I could definately see a hearing child suggesting changing the battery. Especially one that has ever heard a smoke detector beep because the battery needs changing.

Not calling an audi? But what is your exact point. It isn't exactly useful information when it comes to a washing machine.

And yes, after hearing a series of beeps coming from any appliance, I could definately see a hearing child suggesting changing the battery. Especially one that has ever heard a smoke detector beep because the battery needs changing.

OK, it's useless info about washers -- I'm sorry if I led anyone to think otherwise. My 5YO daughter was dead wrong to make what you judge to be a "useless" connection between the sound of the continuous error beeps from the washer and the error sounds her CIs make if something is wrong and recommend a battery change and a call to the audiologist as a washer fix.

Are you really making an issue out of a comment in which I mention this? It's something I'd have thought wouldn't ordinarily occur in an all-hearing household where most 5YOs don't think to call an audi to fix a kitchen appliance, a situation that perhaps some here would find unique to our culture, where many have HAs and CIs and audis. I didn't think there was a controversial bone in the body of that comment.

An article on topic- "Deafness as Culture" Atlantic Monthly September 1993. Edward Dolnick. page 37 to 53. Wide discussion from different positions circa USA 1993.

Implanted- Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

An article on topic- "Deafness as Culture" Atlantic Monthly September 1993. Edward Dolnick. page 37 to 53. Wide discussion from different positions circa USA 1993.

Implanted- Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Very interesting. Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back