A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
:gpost: And you left out the cruelest of all.......Car seats. Should a child be forced not to bounce around like dice in a yahtzee cup.

Car seats are necessary. A CI isn't.

Learning to talk and being able to enjoy sounds such as music is also a part of growing up. A C.I. can help a child who is born deaf do these things. Waiting until a child is 18 will most likely mean less benefit from the implant. Some may not benefit as much with an implant but why not give it the best chance of success.

I parents decide to implant their child they should also realize that C.I. s are not perfect and that it will take work for the child to learn to hear with the implant. Parents should also expose their child to other forms of communication such as ASL and from what I have read it seems parents on this board have done this.

I am glad I only had to make the choice for myself because I feel sorry for parents who make the choice for their child and end up being attacked and accused of child abuse.

:gpost: And you left out the cruelest of all.......Car seats. Should a child be forced not to bounce around like dice in a yahtzee cup.

True, my daughter is happiest when making a wide turn -- I suspect she's going to be a real daredevil.

I sometimes think that getting car seats in and out of cars really is cruel and inhumane punishment -- for parents. :) (joking aside, of course I'm all for them!)

Learning to talk and being able to enjoy sounds such as music is also a part of growing up. A C.I. can help a child who is born deaf do these things. Waiting until a child is 18 will most likely mean less benefit from the implant. Some may not benefit as much with an implant but why not give it the best chance of success.

I parents decide to implant their child they should also realize that C.I. s are not perfect and that it will take work for the child to learn to hear with the implant. Parents should also expose their child to other forms of communication such as ASL and from what I have read it seems parents on this board have done this.

I am glad I only had to make the choice for myself because I feel sorry for parents who make the choice for their child and end up being attacked and accused of child abuse.
:gpost:

Nice post, set2. Almost all of us in here agree with most of what you say. I am curious, though, about the bolded. Are you sure that the later a child gets implanted, the less benefit there is? Benefit for whom? The parents, since the child becomes more like them in their eyes, or does it benefit the child in hearing noises, or what? I think you know this is a tricky subject and we try to tread carefully, lol.

Really? I didn't have a car seat as a child and I'm still here.

I know! When you think about the way we used to sit in sometimes smoke-filled cars -- loose in the front seat, the back seat -- even in the far back rumble seat of a station wagon facing backwards! No helmets while bicycling. Crazy!

A CI is not a bad thing...the only thing I dislike is the misconception (which thankfully is not as common as before) that the device is a fix-it-all for hearing loss and speech impairment. As long as parents are fully informed and they assure that they will make sure the necessary support and therapy is in place, then I'm fine with it. I also dislike it when someone says that without the CI the child cannot succeed - and that's just absurd.

I agree that a CI isnt required to be sucessful in life.

in your opinion... CI's necessary?
He may be saying "In your opinion" as to whether car seats are necessary. I don't think car seats are necessary (as food, water, clothing, etc are), but you'd be stupid not to strap your child into one for his/her safety.

He may be saying "In your opinion" as to whether car seats are necessary. I don't think car seats are necessary (as food, water, clothing, etc are), but you'd be stupid not to strap your child into one for his/her safety.

They are required by the law. So yes, they are more than necessary. it's for the child's safety.

Since when is safety not necessary?

They are required by the law. So yes, they are more than necessary. it's for the child's safety.

Yes, it is the law and yes safety is important.

It's also the law to wear a seat belt, but how many people don't think they're necessary and therefore don't wear them?

We're getting off topic here....

When you implant them. :P

It's also the law to wear a seat belt, but how many people don't think they're necessary and therefore don't wear them?

I wear them. That's why they fine people for not wearing seat belts. Better this way, Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay to have someone scrap their brains and guts off the road pavement. Yes, we're going off the topic.

I don't believe one would need a cochlear implant to be successful in life though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back