A Violation of Human Rights Re: Forcing A Deaf Child to Wear CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

i just read that 87% of deaf kids are mainstreamed. We are clearly in the minority. Li-li is being raised bilingually (hense the deaf school placement, it has nothing to do with the success of her implants or her spoken language skills) and my child was very late implanted and had ZERO access to spoken english before age 5.

so you are saying that there are deaf kids that are just doing purdy fine without accommodations in school out there?

i see...

I get what you mean. Empathy = pity?

Not from me, but, I read you!
Yes, pity(puke).
I prefer ethnocentrical, though I'm not into the psychological part of oralism and audism.

Guess my understanding comes from that I find that most people have empathy, even 'cruel' people, and when empathy is used on a whole group of people, I sometimes gets an uneasy feeling, but depends of course.

She won't answer. She likes to dance around things. She has danced around several of my questions/posts.

That's so typical of a hearing parent. smokescreen after smokescreen.
I am starting to see what you mean. It's like she is singing "I'm no racist" to a melody called "Racism is ok".

so you are saying that there are deaf kids that are just doing purdy fine without accommodations in school out there?

i see...

Another important question would be...how many of them feel equal to their peers?

Yes, and there is so much wrong in the interactions I've seen videotaped between that child and her famly. Everyone looks incredibly miserable, the child more than anyone. I don't know how you can look at a child reacting that way and continue what you're doing.

As a fellow-mother, I agree.

Wirelessly posted

listening is the receptive portion of spoken language. It is equally as important as the ability to speak itself. The language requires both receptive and expressive components.
if you don't value about spoken language then there is no reason to care about listening. If you do value it, listening (and receptive language) is as important as speech (and expressive language).

That is a very audist statement. And to say that a deaf child/person cannot be receptive visually without hearing is SOO wrong.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
Wirelessly posted

listening is the receptive portion of spoken language. It is equally as important as the ability to speak itself. The language requires both receptive and expressive components.
if you don't value about spoken language then there is no reason to care about listening. If you do value it, listening (and receptive language) is as important as speech (and expressive language).

That is a very audist statement. And to say that a deaf child/person cannot be receptive visually without hearing is SOO wrong.

what? That doesn't even make sense. You are really grasping at straws now.

spoken language is an acoustic event. To understand the receptive portion of a spoken message you either hear it or you guess. Less than 30% of spoken language is visible so the rest is guesswork.

You aren't even interested to listen or understand what other people think and why? I see... Guess that explains some of the issues here.
I'm very interested in what other people think, I just won't speak on their behalf. You ask me why the majority thinks a certain way that's different from what I think. I don't know, and won't put my words in their mouths.

Wirelessly posted

i just read that 87% of deaf kids are mainstreamed. We are clearly in the minority. Li-li is being raised bilingually (hense the deaf school placement, it has nothing to do with the success of her implants or her spoken language skills) and my child was very late implanted and had ZERO access to spoken english before age 5.

FJ, SOO wrong again. Your child had access to spoken English from birth - YOU! As I had my parents. I did not have access to a HA until I was 11, (and discarded them). Nor did I have access to CIs, nor even sign language. I have mastery of English (both spoken and written). I am not an isolated case either.

You are just a hearing parent who cannot fathom how your child could be content, happy, survive without hearing. Audist view (intentionally/unintentionally) which ever you want to express it - nevertheless - still audist.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
Wirelessly posted

FJ, SOO wrong again. Your child had access to spoken English from birth - YOU! As I had my parents. I did not have access to a HA until I was 11, (and discarded them). Nor did I have access to CIs, nor even sign language. I have mastery of English (both spoken and written). I am not an isolated case either.

You are just a hearing parent who cannot fathom how your child could be content, happy, survive without hearing. Audist view (intentionally/unintentionally) which ever you want to express it - nevertheless - still audist.

wrong again. When my child was implanted she had ZERO speech understanding. She would turn to her name, but that was it. She did not understand anything. She did not have access. She could not hear or understand. How is that difficult to understand?

Your definition is of an anti-CI'er is among others:
anyone that don't want a CI

No. My definition is someone who says that he or she is against CIs. You say you are anti-CI. I told you I respected your position, even though I'm not anti-CI.

I don't think that someone who chooses not get get a CI is anti-CI. My father had qualified and opted not to get one. My mother in law would never dream of having surgery to gain hearing. Neither were/are anti CI. I know several children whose parents have opted not to pursue a CI, some probably never considered it. I don't see them as anti-CI.

GrendelQ argues that Rick not is an audist by the posts she have read so far. The inconsistency here is that she says she don't know what Rick think or is up to. Do she think Rick is an audist or not? But hey, this is an internet forum!

Btw, it's a no brainer to predict what GrendelQ's daughter and her peers will say about people like Rick48 when she gets older. Hope she can explain this better than us.

I think I've been as direct as possible. How can you think I'm not answering?

I haven't seen a post indicating that he feels that those with the ability to hear are superior to those who are deaf. And I'd be pretty surprised to see that, bc his own child is deaf.

Wirelessly posted

wrong again. When my child was implanted she had ZERO speech understanding. She would turn to her name, but that was it. She did not understand anything. She did not have access. She could not hear or understand. How is that difficult to understand?

She had YOU. As a mother, how is that difficult to understand?

Could not hear nor understand?

When did being able to understand require having hearing? Stupid!

When did being able to understand require having hearing? Ridiculous!

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
Wirelessly posted

She had YOU. As a mother, how is that difficult to understand?

just because someone is speaking does not mean someone else can understand them. She did not have access to the words i was saying no matter how much i say them.

If the ability to listen is provided for through a CI, why do many children with CIs still use CART, interpreters, and attend certain schools?
Most don't.

But it's difficult to find deaf peers, teachers and role models in your average neighborhood schools. It's not possible to have ASL immersion and instruction in those schools. Those are the primary reasons why my child is at a school for the deaf. And we use interpreters so her director of special Ed can be at the same meetings her teachers--some deaf--are at. And so people don't have to sim com at meetings.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:

When did being able to understand require having hearing? Ridiculous!

neither. I was very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back