A video I watched in ASL class and what I think.

xNinjaxAshx

Reaction score
Like I've said before, I'm a ASL student in high school. I'm starting to get my views on Deaf Culture because I'm learning a lot about it. I watched a video on I believe HOH kids AND maybe deaf too. They were forcing them to learn how to speak. I know the teachers were doing what they think is best for them. Although, I kind of believe that it's up to them if they want to learn to use their voice and use it. Deaf people are just as worthy to make a decision on what they want and don't want. I think some hearing people forget that deaf people have feelings and opinions and views on life and how they want to live it. My question is, why can't we just let each other live our lives the way we want? I mean if you don't want to learn to use your voice when your deaf, you shouldn't have to. If you just want to sign, go ahead. I think people should be able to make their own decisions, no matter who they are.

(I'm hearing, just to let you know.) lol

I agree with you, dont force Deaf/HH to learn speech or whatever unless theyt want to i know some hearing parents of deaf kids "forced" theier kids to learn speech..of course i protested bec what if that kid just wanted to sign forever not want learn speech.. that was a lesson my grandparents learned long time ago maybe 50 years ago when my mom having hard time learning speech and my grandpa said ya have to learn bec of future etc then he relaized she was having hard time and he gave up and go ahead learn signs and became active for deaf rights, deaf schools etc for state of Ky back in 50s-80s

I agree. That is horrible to do i think. Besides a lot of hearing don't try to communicate with Deaf. And then when Deaf speak act as though the cannot undy just cause they do not want to take half a second to listen cause that is just too much trouble apparently.

I have this saying "Hearing people can meet deaf people's needs but deaf people cant meet hearing people's needs".

I used to say that all the time to my ex about 4 years ago when he refused to buy a pager with text messenging. At the time, I had the aol pager so no ip-relay on it or anything. He always expected me to call him on his cell phone if I was going to be late in meeting him. Hello? Cant hear so therefore cant call! It would tick him off but it is true.

I think my quote applies to this issue about deaf children being forced to learn to read lips and speak but the parents are not being forced to learn ASL. :sure:

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR
that annoys me too! I read in here that there are so many who have hearing parents who refused to learn ASL and how awful and isolated it made them feel. How can you do that to your child? A parents love is supposed to be absolute and they are supposed to do everything for their child. How can your child tell you they are sick or how it hurts if you cannot communicate with them?? RRRRRRRR erks me!

You have remarkable insight for someone still in high school without much exposure to deafness. Let that insight guide you.

You have remarkable insight for someone still in high school without much exposure to deafness. Let that insight guide you.

That is the kind of insight I was seriously lacking in high school and in my 20s cuz I didnt have the same access to different kinds of philosophies, theories, and insights being discussed around me as my hearing friends did. As a result, I was labeled as socially immature. I wish I had that kind of insight in high school.

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR
that annoys me too! I read in here that there are so many who have hearing parents who refused to learn ASL and how awful and isolated it made them feel. How can you do that to your child? A parents love is supposed to be absolute and they are supposed to do everything for their child. How can your child tell you they are sick or how it hurts if you cannot communicate with them?? RRRRRRRR erks me!

I don't understand that either. My question is how can you raise a child properly if you can't communicate with them? I would think it'd be hard to give them advice on how to approach things in life. It would be VERY hard to form a relationship with your kids. I don't see how parents wouldn't learn ASL for their kids, that's being selfish and cold. I mean you can't write back and forth their whole life, that's just wrong.....

I don't understand that either. My question is how can you raise a child properly if you can't communicate with them? I would think it'd be hard to give them advice on how to approach things in life. It would be VERY hard to form a relationship with your kids. I don't see how parents wouldn't learn ASL for their kids, that's being selfish and cold. I mean you can't write back and forth their whole life, that's just wrong.....

My and my brother's relationship with my dad was mostly on wrestling, roughousing and goofing off while growing up. Now that we are both adults, it is hard to have a relationship with him cuz we both cannot understand him very well. It is very difficult to read his lips and in addition to that, my brother has no speech skills whatsover. Now, we are starting to communicate with our dad more...how? Thru aim. Imagine that?

I do wish my parents learned sign langauge..well..nooo I wish MY whole family would learn sign language! ha!

Thanks for saying I have good insight for my age. I don't think all hearing people respect the deaf culture.

ASL is my favorite class, it's a different environment from the rest of my classes. I enjoy it. It can be hard though, but I still think the class is fun, and I think my teacher is nice and I like her as a teacher :)

P.S. One huge advantage of you ladies being deaf is, that if you're married you don't have to hear your husbands snoring. :giggle:

And no I'm not married, I'm only 17, lol.

One of my co-workers wife is Deaf, but when he snores, she can hear it since he snores loud enoug to wake up the dead 100 kilometres away! :D

Thanks for saying I have good insight for my age. I don't think all hearing people respect the deaf culture.

ASL is my favorite class, it's a different environment from the rest of my classes. I enjoy it. It can be hard though, but I still think the class is fun, and I think my teacher is nice and I like her as a teacher :)

P.S. One huge advantage of you ladies being deaf is, that if you're married you don't have to hear your husbands snoring. :giggle:

And no I'm not married, I'm only 17, lol.

LOL! That's true!

When I learned tactile sign 11 years ago, my sign language instructor told me how lucky I was to be able to remove my hearing aids for a little peace and quiet. She said she wished she could remove her "ears" to do the same.

Now I have bilateral CIs and am totally deaf when I don't have my processors on. Earlier this year my sister commented on how lucky I was that I could sleep through all of the fireworks that went off the night of July 4th. :)

Back