A Thread About Absolutely Nothing! Part III

Hopefully not riding in the middle seat :giggle:

nope! I'm the driver. pitiful that I'm the only one who knows how to drive a stick so I ended up driving total of probably around 9 hours of driving.

nope! I'm the driver. pitiful that I'm the only one who knows how to drive a stick so I ended up driving total of probably around 9 hours of driving.

Why did it stay that way? They are easy to learn. I will admit it was back in the 1960's but I wanted to know enough to get us back to town if I was with someone that got sick or injured. My dad sold cars and they finally had a trade in with a stick (not many that were buying Olds, Buick or Caddy were trading in something with a stick) and we went out one afternoon. Then a couple years later I bought a car with a stick in the middle of December in Southern Illinois with no problems.

The really fun thing about it was the car I bought had been owned by one of the owners of a local trucking company which did their own repair work. Well . . . they put a spring on the clutch that was really for one of the larger trucks. That ment that when I wanted to play a joke on a guy all it took was to not tell about it and they always killed it when the clutch would jump out on them at first!

One of lifes great pleasures is driving a stick on the old curvy roads with a nice match of low end torque and high end speed with a set of high quality tires...ahh, how sweet it is!
I just bought a little old beat up car with a stick for my fiancee to learn in when she comes over. It is still a valuable skill and should be learned in the beginning.

Always thought it was somewhat "odd" that many people cannot drive a stick shift....I learned it at age 15 or so...And for many years, preferred a stick over an automatic.....almost all my cars were a stick...but now drive an automatic...

I tried to learn how to drive a stick shift. Guess what? My ex boyfriend will never let me use his car ever again! I almost destroyed his car. :D

My husband tried to teach me early in our marriage ... that didn't last long. I didn't care if I learned to drive stick (other than knowing the basics in case I ever did need to).

I tried to learn how to drive a stick shift. Guess what? My ex boyfriend will never let me use his car ever again! I almost destroyed his car. :D

:giggle:...."jerky much" ??...I tried to teach a friend of mine (she was left handed)...she was prone to using her left foot and hand, even on the brake pedal...It was a deathly disaster!....Lucky to be alive....:giggle:

Once you get the "feel" of it, it's easy...but tedious when stuck in traffic...and having to hold both pedals down. (clutch and brake)...as I had injured my left ankle once.

Ha. Now almost all of my friends drive automatic. Look like I have a slim chance of learning how to drive a stick shift. oh well. ha

:giggle:...."jerky much" ??...I tried to teach a friend of mine (she was left handed)...she was prone to using her left foot and hand, even on the brake pedal...It was a deathly disaster!....Lucky to be alive....:giggle:

Once you get the "feel" of it, it's easy...but tedious when stuck in traffic...and having to hold both pedals down. (clutch and brake)...as I had injured my left ankle once.

I agree. My biggest problem was with the car I had with a truck spring (& not a pickup one) on the clutch and holding it on a railroad subway hill. Also, I remember driving in one funeral procession where the funeral home in the lead picked a speed that seemed to be right in between gears for a 3 speed manual.

I never realize how ugly my earlobes looks without gauges. It isn't large but still. Maybe by the time I turn 40, it'll be hanging down to my knees!

My brother taught me to drive stick shift after I was 20. If that RPM gauge was not there, my truck would not have survived. I had a little 1984 Ford Ranger in Candy Apple red at the time.

Why did it stay that way? They are easy to learn. I will admit it was back in the 1960's but I wanted to know enough to get us back to town if I was with someone that got sick or injured. My dad sold cars and they finally had a trade in with a stick (not many that were buying Olds, Buick or Caddy were trading in something with a stick) and we went out one afternoon. Then a couple years later I bought a car with a stick in the middle of December in Southern Illinois with no problems.

The really fun thing about it was the car I bought had been owned by one of the owners of a local trucking company which did their own repair work. Well . . . they put a spring on the clutch that was really for one of the larger trucks. That ment that when I wanted to play a joke on a guy all it took was to not tell about it and they always killed it when the clutch would jump out on them at first!

why? :dunno:

seems like only people in NJ and NYC do not know how to drive sticks but it appears that bunch of surrounding states drive sticks... except older people or family people.

Always thought it was somewhat "odd" that many people cannot drive a stick shift....I learned it at age 15 or so...And for many years, preferred a stick over an automatic.....almost all my cars were a stick...but now drive an automatic...

same here. driving automatic is a foreign concept to me :lol:

I can't see myself driving an auto till probably when I'll have an arthritis problem :lol:

why? :dunno:

seems like only people in NJ and NYC do not know how to drive sticks but it appears that bunch of surrounding states drive sticks... except older people or family people.

MY why was a matter of why did it stay that way the whole trip? It is not that hard to learn. Teach some of the others and share the driving!

MY why was a matter of why did it stay that way the whole trip? It is not that hard to learn. Teach some of the others and share the driving!

I ain't gonna teach them with my truck :lol:

I first learn driving stick when I was 13 with my brother's dune buggy, and thought it was so much fun. I stopped buying stick shift when I brought new truck two years ago.

My hubby has a Jeep and it's a stick. He's been trying to teach me. I'm too old to learn this. :lol:

yah that is why I got a beat up car for the teaching experience :lol: it is perfect for it. I did get rid of the 666 license plates though...

Back