A NEW BOOK "TO BE DEAF OR NOT TO BE DEAF" to be out

Jake...FYI, the term audiology was coined very recently (late 1940's). Does that make it "not a real word?"
Also, you made a mistake there.....Lane did not coin the term audism...audism was coined by Tom Humphries (a postlingally deafened person!) in his Ph.D thesis.
Secondly, Humpries did not randomly make up a word from gibberish like you're implying . He coined the term from the Latin for to hear- aud, as in audible, audience, auditorium, auditory trainer, audilogist and many others!
and from the term ism ala racism, sexism, et al!!!!
Yes, I know the word's not in most mainstream dictionaries but a lot of specialized words aren't in the dictionary. That doesn't mean they don't exist

I don't recall Lane ever discussing the term audism in any of his books, or him really going into deep detail over it. He may have used the term once or twice, but he never really discused the theory. If I'm wrong on that bit, please list references.

http://library.gallaudet.edu/dr/faq-audism.html

The first appearance of the term audism in print seems to have been by Harlan Lane in 1992. However, Lane credits the invention of the term to Tom Humphries' unpublished 1977 doctoral dissertation (Humphries 1977). After Humphries coined the term audism, it laid dormant until Lane revived its use 15 years later. It is increasingly catching on, though not yet in regular dictionaries of the English language. Humphries originally applied audism to individual attitudes and practices, but Lane and others have broadened its scope to include institutional and group attitudes, practices, and oppression of deaf persons.

The first half of Lane's book The mask of benevolence: disabling the deaf community is the most extensive published survey and discussion of audism so far (Lane 1992).

Umm Boult, I did NOT say that the term audism was coined in the '40's. I said the term audilogy was coined in the late 40's! The term was coined by Humpries but he didn't invent the concept of audism...The concept of audism has been around since as long as deaf education has been around...and actually is as old as deaf/hoh people. (eg hearing people pitying the deaf/hoh) Humpries just gave the phenononomeon a name...after all the term racism and sexism are probaly very new, but the phenonomoen that they describe have been around FOREVER!!!
I'm going to have to reread TMOB...and see if he uses the word casually(eg as a catchphrase) or goes into in deph discussion on it. (ala a feminist theorist going into really in deph discussion about things like sexism or battered women's syndrome or hetrosexism or the like)

Boult, it looks like 1975 is right. Its a few years before humphries wrote that book with his wife carol padden.

DD, did you want ME to find some references on things Harlan Lane said???? I rather chew on glass. Ha ha ha.

Seriously, TMOB is the book you need to read. Besides, Dr. Donald Moores (editor of the American Annals of the Deaf -- GU professor) put Lane through the wringer for that one hell of a baloney book Lane wrote. One of the things Moores talks about is audisms and how its not truthful and that Lane may be an "audist" himself. Find Moore's review of Lane's book in the Annals or in one of Jake's books.

Last edited:
Jake, have you ever actually CAREFULLY READ any of what Lane has written or are you just jumping on the bandwagon b/c he says some stuff that is controversial?
One of the things Moores talks about is audisms and how its not truthful and that Lane may be an "audist" himself
I am not surprised.
Deaf Studies is just like feminism. There's all sorts of feminist theories and schools of thought in feminism. (Lesbian feminism, radical feminism, sex positive feminism, libral feminism and lots more! If you don't believe me, check out the Ms. magazine boards) Just as with deaf studies....

Reading Lane is a once in a lifetime thing, and yes, I read carefully but I could have made sandwiches with all the baloney he was serving up to feed an entire Army division.

Yes, I agree with you about feminism. there are many radical elements s you said.

Jake, OTOH you seemed VERY surprised when I posted awhile back that Lane isn't all pro-"send all deaf/hoh kids to residental schools", that he supports a continum of placements. (res school, day schools, self-contained classes, regional cooptertives for deaf/hoh students, split placements that is mainstreaming and attendance at a school for the deaf, mainstreaming with some classes taught by an itinerant TOD/HOH, total mainstreaming with some support services , and even total mainstreaming with NO support services!) IMHO, Lane does say a lot of controversial things but he does say a lot of good stuff as well. Personally, I think you're just like those consevatives and feminists who bash feminist theorists like Dworkian b/c they say some controversial things without reading the theories with an open mind!
Try reading Lane with an open mind....

On the other hand . . . I heard speeches by Lane and one walks away with the impression that you see me post about him time and time again -- he doesn't mention any of the things you say. Further, the last time we heard from Lane -- "Journey Into the Deaf-World" he appeared absolutely one-sided.

of course, its been a while now since Lane wrote baloney so maybe he's found all his marbles . . .

Jake, seriously OPEN YOUR MIND. There are some things that Lane says, which I absolutly disagree with, but at the same time there are things he says which are difficult to quibble with.
All he is saying is that the residental school should be an option, and should be as well funded as private oral programs!
He is saying that ASL shouldn't be a "last option/regarded as "speshal needs"" but that it should be pursued ALONG with oral training!
You are posting from the perspective of a postlingally deafened person, who had a hell of a lot more advantages then most congentially/early (deafened before one year) prelingal deaf or even congentially/early/preling HOH folks!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really are biased b/c you regard the hearing world as the ultimate heaven. You see absolutly nothing good about the whole Deaf-World. Even if there was nothing wrong with the whole Deaf-World, you would still hate it b/c you miss hearing so much. Maybe if tomorrow you woke up with your hearing fully restored, you'd be sadly disappointed. You want something that you lost, and you're so bitter about it, that you hate every and anything associated with deafness.
I mean it seems like every single book that's out there on Deaf-Culture is automaticlly crappy in your book.
Maybe that's b/c it doesn't follow your thinking that the hearing world is heaven, and that once we poor wittle ASL using Deafies have been "restored" to hearing via speech and hearing aids/CIs/ other ALDs etc. we will automaticlly blend into hearing society and discover Hearing Heaven. It doesn't work that way. Many of us who are Deaf don't give a scatalogical noun that we can't hear or hear as well as hearing people. We Deaf are fall from alone....Many disabilty rights activists don't care that we can't see/walk/fill in the blank here. We can do anything and everything BUT walk,hear,/fill in the blank. Our disabilty is a PART of us...not something "wrong" with us or something that needs to be "fixed or "cured" We believe that disabilty is a nautral part of human variance and that most disabled people can do anything and we can adapt to and LIVE with our disabilties instead of sitting in a corner waiting for a cure (that will most likely never come b/c of the deep pockets of the medical industry) whining about how we're so "limited" b/c of our disabilties. Almost everyone has a disabilty...Those of us who are Dis Rights activists just have more visable disabilties then the rest of the human race!

deafdyke said:
Jake, seriously OPEN YOUR MIND. There are some things that Lane says, which I absolutly disagree with, but at the same time there are things he says which are difficult to quibble with.
All he is saying is that the residental school should be an option, and should be as well funded as private oral programs!
He is saying that ASL shouldn't be a "last option/regarded as "speshal needs"" but that it should be pursued ALONG with oral training!
You are posting from the perspective of a postlingally deafened person, who had a hell of a lot more advantages then most congentially/early (deafened before one year) prelingal deaf or even congentially/early/preling HOH folks!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really are biased b/c you regard the hearing world as the ultimate heaven. You see absolutly nothing good about the whole Deaf-World. Even if there was nothing wrong with the whole Deaf-World, you would still hate it b/c you miss hearing so much. Maybe if tomorrow you woke up with your hearing fully restored, you'd be sadly disappointed. You want something that you lost, and you're so bitter about it, that you hate every and anything associated with deafness.
I mean it seems like every single book that's out there on Deaf-Culture is automaticlly crappy in your book.
Maybe that's b/c it doesn't follow your thinking that the hearing world is heaven, and that once we poor wittle ASL using Deafies have been "restored" to hearing via speech and hearing aids/CIs/ other ALDs etc. we will automaticlly blend into hearing society and discover Hearing Heaven. It doesn't work that way. Many of us who are Deaf don't give a scatalogical noun that we can't hear or hear as well as hearing people. We Deaf are fall from alone....Many disabilty rights activists don't care that we can't see/walk/fill in the blank here. We can do anything and everything BUT walk,hear,/fill in the blank. Our disabilty is a PART of us...not something "wrong" with us or something that needs to be "fixed or "cured" We believe that disabilty is a nautral part of human variance and that most disabled people can do anything and we can adapt to and LIVE with our disabilties instead of sitting in a corner waiting for a cure (that will most likely never come b/c of the deep pockets of the medical industry) whining about how we're so "limited" b/c of our disabilties. Almost everyone has a disabilty...Those of us who are Dis Rights activists just have more visable disabilties then the rest of the human race!

:wtf: :zzz:

Boult, I think what I have to say is quite important. The whole oral deaf movement is based on the assumption that we HOHees have more in common with hearing folk then we do with deaf people. I have lived my ENTIRE life in the hearing world....I am almost hearing with my aids..Growing up I never had ANY exposure to ASL Deaf culture...matter of fact I was encouraged to assilmuate into the hearing world and I was taught that my being hard of hearing was bad and "limiting" I feel somewhat comfortable in the hearing -world, but I will never ever 100% BE a part of the hearing world!

deafdyke said:
Boult, I think what I have to say is quite important. The whole oral deaf movement is based on the assumption that we HOHees have more in common with hearing folk then we do with deaf people. I have lived my ENTIRE life in the hearing world....I am almost hearing with my aids..Growing up I never had ANY exposure to ASL Deaf culture...matter of fact I was encouraged to assilmuate into the hearing world and I was taught that my being hard of hearing was bad and "limiting" I feel somewhat comfortable in the hearing -world, but I will never ever 100% BE a part of the hearing world!

You did an excellent JOB in your truth perspective ! deafdyke ! :thumb:

I was in the same boat as you during my childhood. ASL is really priority for the Deaf children in their explosure. I am so amazed, their languages pick up very fast than our time ! They are very brilliant Deaf children :D

Do not pay attention to Boult and Jake. They did complain and negative about Deaf Cultures in other forums. They do not accept themselves for who they are.

We do debate between oral and ASL with cochlear implants for all these years !! I do admire Dr. Harlan Lane's books alot ! He made many good points and educational to the hearing Parents of Deaf children in Boston now.

Bush_in_2004! said:
On the other hand . . . I heard speeches by Lane and one walks away with the impression that you see me post about him time and time again -- he doesn't mention any of the things you say. Further, the last time we heard from Lane -- "Journey Into the Deaf-World" he appeared absolutely one-sided.

of course, its been a while now since Lane wrote baloney so maybe he's found all his marbles . . .

jake !!

Nothing new with you !! You need to control yourself jealous of Dr. Harlan Lane, his books published thousand of books so far. How many people purchase or read your book ?? Jake ??

I do ADMIRE in Dr. Lane's books !! I am very impressed of him because he is hearing as advocate alot of Deaf Community. He educationed to the hearing parents of Deaf children. :ily: Dr. Lane !!

Sabrina said:
jake !!

Nothing new with you !! You need to control yourself jealous of Dr. Harlan Lane, his books published thousand of books so far. How many people purchase or read your book ?? Jake ??

I do ADMIRE in Dr. Lane's books !! I am very impressed of him because he is hearing as advocate alot of Deaf Community. He educationed to the hearing parents of Deaf children. :ily: Dr. Lane !!

the members of alldeaf would like YOU, in YOUR OWN words to explain exactly what Lane's book Mask of Benevolence is all about. Please write 2 or 3 paragraphs. NO asking for help!

We're waiting . . . .

"Nothing new with you !! You need to control yourself jealous of Dr. Harlan Lane, his books published thousand of books so far. How many people purchase or read your book ?? Jake ??"

many thousands too. but I yield to Dr. Lane, there is an advantage to being college professor and selling books on education (this does not, of course, guarantee a book is good,or even correct!)

DD sez: "You see absolutly nothing good about the whole Deaf-World."

me: if its entirely dependent on society for $$$, then its pretty hard to be impressed with the results.

DD also sez: "I mean it seems like every single book that's out there on Deaf-Culture is automaticlly crappy in your book."

Me: "Deaf President Now" is an excellent book! Better than anything I ever wrote. And it was published by . . gasp! . . Gallaudet! Give it a read.

if its entirely dependent on society for $$$, then its pretty hard to be impressed with the results.
You're assuming with that statement that all Deafies are on SSI/Disablity. You are assuming (like so many newly dx hearing parents of deaf/hoh kids who choose oralism ) that knowledge of ASL= a poor education/less oppertunties in life/ that their kids will become those peddlers who sell ASL cards/or that it automaticly means that they'll be on SSI/Disabilty for life.
However, in this day and age, those who depend on the healthcare system and sophiscated healthcare technology in order to function in day to day life. (read oralists) are probaly the ones most likely to have to go on SSI/Disabilty b/c they cannot find a job that pays enough money for both basic costs of living AND healthcare expenses and the additional expenses that their disabilty incurs. Even a lot of hearing/otherwise able-bodied people have trouble finding good healthcare. My sister who has absolutly no disabilties, and went to a VERY good competive school (Boston University) and who isn't one of those people who live large,(read two SUVs) or has trouble with money, has trouble finding access to good quality healthcare! I don't even WANT to think about what it's going to be like for me (hoh, and many other disabilties) when I get out of school!
Yes, a lot of us deaf/hoh are unemployed/underemployed...but so what? Many other groups of disabled ( blind,low vision, wheelchair users, etc) are unemployed/underemployed or live off of SSI/Disabilty. It's not just those of us who are profoundly/extremely severely effected by our disabiilties.(eg a quaduplic or someone who is profoundly/severely/extreme profoundly <eg someone in a coma or a persisant vegetaive state> mentally effected, or someone who has ten gazillion serious medical probs.
It's not just those who've gone to schools for the deaf or who use ASL who are unempolyed/underemployed. Even mainstreamed and oral are unemployed/underemployed. As a matter of fact, nowadays the gross majority of deaf/hoh students have been mainstreamed. Very few of us have gone to schools for the deaf. Besides if schools for the deaf are a key culprit, then how come employment levels were so high among deaf/hoh folks before IDEA was enacted? In 1970 the employment levels for deaf white males were HIGHER then for the HEARING population! This is when most deaf/hoh students attended schools for the deaf, and only a small percentage of deaf/hoh were mainstreamed!
Maybe it has to do with methodology...I know that for example, Braille is really out of fashion in blind education, just as ASL is out of fashion in deaf education.
The blind/low vision community has simliar unemployment/underemployment problems. Yet of those who are employed, most of them (80%) are literate in Braille. Maybe there's a simlair correlation with ASL and the number of deaf/hoh who are employed. I know also, most mainstreamed teachers (including special ed teachers) are not adquatly trained to teach deaf/hoh and actually they are not aquatly trained to teach most kids with classic disabilties. Most of their training is spent on learning disablities! I gotta run...will return later!

Thanks Sabby! Actually, I don't think Boult is Anti-Deaf, just that he's fallen into the trap of thinking that the oral route is the best thing in the world! I HAVE experianced growing up oral...I HAVE experianced the "oralist dream" of a deaf/hoh child returned to "normal" hearing society. It's NOT all it's cracked up to be! I am very glad that I have the skills to function somewhat in the hearing world. I am NOT advocating throwing out the hearing aids/CIs/oral training with the bathwater. I think that oral training and oral skills are something VERY valuable. However I don't think that most pro-oral people aquatly understand/express to parents the downsides of the oral movement. Most oralists have this "high and mighty" attitude that the oral route is FAR superior to the ASL and English route b/c ASL is a "crutch" and "speshal needs". I also don't think it should be an "either or" choice when it comes to language use. It is the parents responsibilty to ensure that deaf and hoh kids grow up with fluency in BOTH ASL and English, so that the child has the option to choose later, which world (s) they want to be a part of! I just know far far far far too many deaf AND hoh kids who were raised oral and discovered ASL/Deaf culture relatively late and who wish that they'd been raised with both English and ASL! I actually even know MANY PARENTS of adult deaf/hoh kids who grew up oral, and who now say that they wish they'd pursued ASL AND English, instead of falling into the trap of thinking that ASL is a "crutch"(like Jake does) My OWN PARENTS say this! They are actually VERY hardcore about this....at conferences of people with my syndrome, my parents are always talking to parents of kids with my syndrome (most kids and people with my syndrome are deaf/hoh) encouraging them to go with BOTH ASL and English. My parents aren't the only ones doing this....most of the parents of adults with my syndrome strongly encourage parents of the younger kids to learn ASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back