A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Jim lost his bike in the High Park fire in Fort Collins Colorado
16gg1s6.jpg

Must not have loved that bike too much. He left it behind. To save yourselves: Wife takes car, husband takes motorcycle. It's got to be somewhere in the marriage contract. :P

Must not have loved that bike too much. He left it behind. To save yourselves: Wife takes car, husband takes motorcycle. It's got to be somewhere in the marriage contract. :P

exactly my thought :lol:

Nothing beat heat shrink tubing and soldering. It's perfect for low price and weatherproof. All factory for auto and diesel do like that. Also most mechanics do that.

2233-heat-shrink-wrapped.jpg

problem with shrink tube is it's not great for full exposure in weather since most wirings in cars are at least protected by hood or some covering. in motorcycle - bunch of wirings are usually fully exposed so it's best to use liquid electrical tape + heat shrink tube or elastic electrical tape.

517ynCBSWAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

so I was riding on highway to get a feel of my new bike and I felt my handling/steering was slightly off or feeling funny. it turned out to be bad steering bearings. this is always a common issue with my bike model usually at 12,000 miles. only $30 part.

my old bike already had a replaced bearing so its steering is perfect - Cadillac-smooth. now this new bike's bearings need to be replaced since it's almost 12,000 miles - a very common issue for many bikes. gonna buy new handlebar since it's slightly bent from falling down at standstill by previous owner which he forgot to mentioned to me. good thing is that he will pay for new handlebar... only $140.

so... Ohlins shock. new steering bearings. new handlebar. RaceTech Gold Valve Kit. fuse box. ADV-Monster Light. new top case (gotta hunt for it). and I'm set for life riding in NYC and any rough road with Cadillac-like feel :thumb:

problem with shrink tube is it's not great for full exposure in weather since most wirings in cars are at least protected by hood or some covering. in motorcycle - bunch of wirings are usually fully exposed so it's best to use liquid electrical tape + heat shrink tube or elastic electrical tape.

517ynCBSWAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The electrical tape is shitty. . It's always peel out after hot weather. I seem it many times before The liquid electrical is very good but too mess so easy for two or more wires.

Like that.

rd_IMG_9126.JPG

Depend what kind of heat shrink tube. The marine heat shrink tubing is great for boat.

http://www.harborfreight.com/42-piece-marine-heat-shrink-tubing-67598.html

My friend use it all times for his boat and no problem so far even heavy rain.

Replacing the connector for the fuel level sender

You may double heat shrink tubing for that which perfect for outdoor like your motorcycle or boat or lamp, etc.

The electrical tape is shitty. . It's always peel out after hot weather. I seem it many times before The liquid electrical is very good but too mess so easy for two or more wires.
yup. that's why you have to buy a higher-quality electrical tape with high heat & voltage resistance. it's little expensive.

Like that.

rd_IMG_9126.JPG
ew..... what a very messy job. I wouldn't wire it like that. I'm glad I've had lot of electrical engineering experience back in high school. I did many soldering, wiring, tinkering, etc. what I would love to have right now is a metal fabrication shop.

Depend what kind of heat shrink tube. The marine heat shrink tubing is great for boat.

42 Piece Marine Heat Shrink Tubing

You may double heat shrink tubing for that which perfect for outdoor like your motorcycle or boat or lamp, etc.

yep. I agree. liquid electrical tape is pretty messy. I hated it. however, it depends on how you do it and what the situation is but for me with peace of mind... I'd go with liquid electrical tape plus heat shrink tube. if the wire is damaged and exposed, you can't really put the heat shrink tube inside because you need to completely take it off to put the tube in. so what to do? liquid electrical tape + elastic electrical tape.

waterproof-version posi-lock is very convenient and you don't need to do wire-stripping, shrink-tubing, etc. if you found exposed damaged wire, you can simply cut it and connect both wires with posi-lock but yea - it really depends on situation and you just use the right solution for right problem.

about elastic electrical tape aka "Rescue Tape" (so awesome and versatile that US military uses it) - it's a new different type of electrical tape. I saw it at motorcycle expo and I thought it was very cool but.... when I saw the price tag, I was bit :eek3: because it's so few tape for $$$.

when you wrap any wiring or hole in tank/tube or whatever, it shrinks up itself to make it completely sealed and waterproof - you gotta stretch it while wrapping though. it's also got very high heat resistance and voltage resistance. you can use it on just about ANYTHING.

Rescue Tape - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
RescueTape.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz9leDRkE80]Rescue Tape In-Store DVD - High Quality - YouTube[/ame]

I just saw the video and I was :eek3: to see that somebody used it for back-up engine belt! no way! btw - good idea about double heat tubing. thanks for suggestion. I'll try that once I get all stuff for fuse panel.

oh boy oh boy.... I'm so exhausted right now since I haven't slept for 2 days (with a little nap in between). I need to make a shopping list before I sleep otherwise I'll forget everything :dizzy:

yup. that's why you have to buy a higher-quality electrical tape with high heat & voltage resistance. it's little expensive.

ew..... what a very messy job. I wouldn't wire it like that. I'm glad I've had lot of electrical engineering experience back in high school. I did many soldering, wiring, tinkering, etc. what I would love to have right now is a metal fabrication shop.

yep. I agree. liquid electrical tape is pretty messy. I hated it. however, it depends on how you do it and what the situation is but for me with peace of mind... I'd go with liquid electrical tape plus heat shrink tube. if the wire is damaged and exposed, you can't really put the heat shrink tube inside because you need to completely take it off to put the tube in. so what to do? liquid electrical tape + elastic electrical tape.

waterproof-version posi-lock is very convenient and you don't need to do wire-stripping, shrink-tubing, etc. if you found exposed damaged wire, you can simply cut it and connect both wires with posi-lock but yea - it really depends on situation and you just use the right solution for right problem.

about elastic electrical tape aka "Rescue Tape" (so awesome and versatile that US military uses it) - it's a new different type of electrical tape. I saw it at motorcycle expo and I thought it was very cool but.... when I saw the price tag, I was bit :eek3: because it's so few tape for $$$.

when you wrap any wiring or hole in tank/tube or whatever, it shrinks up itself to make it completely sealed and waterproof - you gotta stretch it while wrapping though. it's also got very high heat resistance and voltage resistance. you can use it on just about ANYTHING.

Rescue Tape - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
RescueTape.jpg

Rescue Tape In-Store DVD - High Quality - YouTube

I just saw the video and I was :eek3: to see that somebody used it for back-up engine belt! no way! btw - good idea about double heat tubing. thanks for suggestion. I'll try that once I get all stuff for fuse panel.

oh boy oh boy.... I'm so exhausted right now since I haven't slept for 2 days (with a little nap in between). I need to make a shopping list before I sleep otherwise I'll forget everything :dizzy:

No problem.

WTF? Another company?

You remember Mighty Tape?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0SUrAG-D4&feature=player_embedded]Billy Mays' Final Commercial (Mighty Tape) (1 Minute Spot) - YouTube[/ame]

ah... they call it "Mighty Tape". in motorcycle, it's called "Rescue Tape". well see? even Bill Mays approved it! I may consider buying it..... but I'm not too thrilled about its cost. we'll see!

well you know what's WTF? during dinner, my bro went :mad2: and told me to stop spending money on motorcycle :whistle:

Nothing to wrong with spend money on motorcycle. It's hobby as enjoy and more safely.

Nothing to wrong with spend money on motorcycle. It's hobby as enjoy and more safely.

exactly! :thumb:

my bro spends money on clothes and social fun so why not me spend money on motorcycle? :D

btw - motorcycling is not a hobby to me. it's more of a necessity as a primacy vehicle to me so all these upgrades are necessary for me to make it more comfortable and safer. I really regret buying Xterra since I don't drive it much - only 11,000 miles in 3 years. I should have bought something like.... Isetta :lol:

250px-BMW_Isetta_300.jpg

oh forgot to post up a pix of what I did last night -

ae7gjm.jpg

I think once after all upgrades have been completed..... I will take it to race track in South Jersey so I can practice my cornering ability that I've learned from Total ARC course. and then I look forward to meeting some ADers when traveling out of states! :D

for the past couple weeks, it had been awesome life experience for me. meeting these people, making a deal with them and forming a friendship as the result. Biker Community is truly fun! :thumb:

for those who are really into motorcycle, I strongly urge you to participate in well-known forums and get out there to meet some wonderful folks. don't worry if there is a communication barrier due to your deafness. lot of them are usually very accommodating and they are very friendly. some are them don't speak good English but we all have one same common interest - RIDING!!!!!! :cool2:

Last edited:
I just bought Ohlins rear shock. I'm extremely excited. it was a steal of the year. only $600... brand new.

S46ER1S.jpg

MSRP is nearly $1,000
:jaw:

Nice!! I should have this for my VL800!! It would make things easier than removing cover, jack up bike and use channellock plier to twist the setting whatever set to. With this shock, dial knob would be very convenience!!

Catty

broken piece? what about helmet warranty? mine has 5-years warranty.

Cheap beaten up TMS helmet have no warranty whatsoever, I just ordered a new Bilt flip-up Solar modular helmet (matte black color) for $99 on sale. Originally $200. It says 5 years guarantee.

Street Gear - Street Modular Motorcycle Helmets - Cycle Gear

Why I ordered that? Because it have Metal to Metal latch for flip-up comparing to my old TMS flip-up helmet that have Plastic to Plastic latch which are fragile and breaks easily. TMS lasted me 6 month before I drilled a hole and use short bolts on both side to permamently secure flipup while new Bilt should last a life of helmet.

Catty

Like that.

rd_IMG_9126.JPG

42 Piece Marine Heat Shrink Tubing

What's that metal canned crap sticking out of wire cable? Care to tell me what it is?

Catty

so I was riding on highway to get a feel of my new bike and I felt my handling/steering was slightly off or feeling funny. it turned out to be bad steering bearings. this is always a common issue with my bike model usually at 12,000 miles. only $30 part.

my old bike already had a replaced bearing so its steering is perfect - Cadillac-smooth. now this new bike's bearings need to be replaced since it's almost 12,000 miles - a very common issue for many bikes. gonna buy new handlebar since it's slightly bent from falling down at standstill by previous owner which he forgot to mentioned to me. good thing is that he will pay for new handlebar... only $140.

so... Ohlins shock. new steering bearings. new handlebar. RaceTech Gold Valve Kit. fuse box. ADV-Monster Light. new top case (gotta hunt for it). and I'm set for life riding in NYC and any rough road with Cadillac-like feel :thumb:

I never thought that steering bearing would wears out quickly on your bike. Looks like there are alot of stress point on bearing. It seem that factory cuts corner by installing cheap bearings. Does your bike use "beveled" bearing (just like on car wheel spindle) or just "straight" bearing?? Most common is beveled bearings for heavy duty usage.. My VL800 have no issue with bearing because it's heavy duty, it's a heavy bike so they knew that Rider would not like it if bearing wears out on them.

As your bro tells you to stop spending. Hey it's your bike and tell him shut the H3ll up cuz he's jealous :mad2: Tell him that you're young and have long ways from retirements.

I do spend some $$'s on my bike and do some modification. I do wish that I have $2,000 to spend to serenade my bike with nice accessories :lol:

Catty

Catty

Hi guys! Glad to see a motorcycle thread here. I have been riding for over 15 years. I currently do club level racing in the CMRA. If there are any Austin-area riders, shoot me a PM and we'll work out a schedule and go riding. Here are our rides...

My son's 110cc mini
2011-12-25111906.jpg

2011-12-25105418.jpg

My personal daily rider. 2006 GSXR 1000.
CraigsImage17649.jpg

Here's the fam...
2011-04-30160716.jpg

I race two bikes, one is a 2003 SV1000 and the other is Opie Caylor's 2004 GSXR 750 (no it's not the bike he hit the deer with) **edit** I don't have a picture of the Caylor bike on this machine. I will post it later but here's the SV1000...
photo_25201.jpg

Here's what's inside the SV...
Spears 13/1 high-compression/overbore pistons (race gas ONLY)
Spears camshafts
Spears cable clutch conversion
Head ported and milled (larger seats and heavier springs)
520 chain conversion
Vortex clipons
Vortex rearsets
Power Commander III USB
Penseke double clicker
Racetech forks (these will need to be resprung for my fat ass)
Quick throttle conversion (R6)
M4 full exhaust with jet coating
EBC HH race pads
Galfer braided lines
BNC air filter
Airbox mod
Raised gas tank
Hotbodies fairings for a 05-06 GSXR1000 (WHICH I LOVE!!

This was from a CMRA-sanctioned race at Texas World Speedway in College Station
2011-10-23113214.jpg

2011-10-23113425.jpg

Trackdays at GrandSport Speedway in
GSSApril30-5564-S.jpg

gssapril30-5645-M.jpg

Girl in the middle was my interpreter.
2011-04-30160312.jpg

Trackday at MSRH in Angleton. You will have to click the link to view picture. I have this as a poster in my bedroom. It's my favorite picture.
Hart Photography & Graphics > Level 2 - Set 4

Here's a link to a customer testimonial that I wrote for Fastline Motorcycle School...
Customer Testimonials - Fastline Motorcycle School

Here's a youtube video of my first ride out there. I have several more that I can post if you guys are interested.
GSS 4/30/11 following NitroHonda - YouTube

for the past couple weeks, it had been awesome life experience for me. meeting these people, making a deal with them and forming a friendship as the result. Biker Community is truly fun! :thumb:

for those who are really into motorcycle, I strongly urge you to participate in well-known forums and get out there to meet some wonderful folks. don't worry if there is a communication barrier due to your deafness. lot of them are usually very accommodating and they are very friendly. some are them don't speak good English but we all have one same common interest - RIDING!!!!!! :cool2:

I agree but I generally avoid group rides for the most part. I'll ride with a friend or two but groups of sportbike riders? Absolutely not. As for partcipating in forums... sure. I'm a member of wforiders.com and motohouston.com and highperformancecrew.com but... they are... let's just say very harsh folks. I get along with them just fine since I'm a grump but it is certainly challenging.

A few years ago some passing drunk children decided it would be hilarious to kick my garage door really hard. It was bent out of shape and basically jammed shut against the frame.

Unfortunately for me, I was about to go off on vacation and, fearing someone might get into the garage by exploiting the damage, I did the only thing I could to secure it. I put my bike inside the kitchen while we were away.

Image368.jpg

A few years ago some passing drunk children decided it would be hilarious to kick my garage door really hard. It was bent out of shape and basically jammed shut against the frame.

Unfortunately for me, I was about to go off on vacation and, fearing someone might get into the garage by exploiting the damage, I did the only thing I could to secure it. I put my bike inside the kitchen while we were away.

Image368.jpg
Cozy. :giggle:

Back