A**hole abuses VP: Almost gets people killed.

peacefulgentle

Reaction score
Read about an a**hole who abused his VP and almost got people killed! I say take his VP away!

===================================

- Doug Bates and his wife, Stacey, were in bed around 10 p.m., their 2-year-old daughters asleep in a nearby room. Suddenly they were shaken awake by the wail of police sirens and the rumble of a helicopter above their suburban Southern California home. A criminal must be on the loose, they thought.

Doug Bates got up to lock the doors and grabbed a knife. A beam from a flashlight hit him. He peeked into the backyard. A swarm of police, assault rifles drawn, ordered him out of the house. Bates emerged, frightened and with the knife in his hand, as his wife frantically dialed 911. They were handcuffed and ordered to the ground while officers stormed the house.

The scene of mayhem and carnage the officers expected was nowhere to be found. Neither the Bateses nor the officers knew that they were pawns in a dangerous game being played 1,200 miles away by a teenager bent on terrifying a random family of strangers.

They were victims of a new kind of telephone fraud that exploits a weakness in the way the 911 system handles calls from Internet-based phone services. The attacks — called "swatting" because armed police SWAT teams usually respond — are virtually unstoppable, and an Associated Press investigation found that budget-strapped 911 centers are essentially defenseless without an overhaul of their computer systems.

The AP examined hundreds of pages of court documents and law-enforcement transcripts, listened to audio of "swatting" calls, and interviewed two dozen security experts, investigators, defense lawyers, victims and perpetrators.

While Doug and Stacey Bates were cuffed on the ground that night in March 2007, 18-year-old Randal Ellis, living with his parents in Mukilteo, Wash., was nearly finished with the 27-minute yarn about a drug-fueled murder that brought the Orange County Sheriff's Department SWAT team to the Bateses' home.

In a grisly sounding call to 911, Ellis was putting an Internet-based phone service for the hearing-impaired to nefarious use. By entering bogus information about his location, Ellis was able to make it seem to the 911 operator as if he was calling from inside the Bateses' home. He said he was high on drugs and had just shot his sister.

According to prosecutors, Ellis picked the Bates family at random, as he did with all of the 185 calls investigators say he made to 911 operators around the country.

"If I would have had a gun in my hand, I probably would have been shot," said Doug Bates, 38. Last March, Ellis was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to five felony counts, including computer access and fraud, false imprisonment by violence and falsely reporting a crime.

I just read that on Yahoo news. I hope this doesn't make police think twice about answering a call from a VP or other device deaf people use. It may delay response times if they decide to make 100% sure it's not a hoax.

I hope no more kids get the idea from reading the news report.

Jeez! It certainly causes deaf, like you and me, and others more aware of such unruly troublemakers out there. Randal's punishment was mere like a slap on the wrist to me, shame!

Obviously, there ought to be a serious improvement in order to prevent any "swatting" copycats coming up.

Randal Ellis is currently serving a three year sentence for placing 185 bogus calls to 911 operators around the country... Bates were one of his innocent victims swamped by the swat...
Watch Out for That SWAT!

A pic and article of Randal here...
SWAT teams deployed in 911 fraud - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

I read those link you provided...

I total disagree with "Spoofing Caller ID" which its legal. I never knew it is legal and I don't like that idea about that Spoofing Caller ID.

Spoofing Caller ID is similar like one number for whole doctor office or hospital. It should be register by telephone company with proper matter but not prefer to set Spoofing Caller ID and then set abused the 911.

I heard that one worse than that.. one man face the fine for million dollar due abuse 911 system via using VRS. That time, it wasn't attached real number with 911 yet until today. The Spoofing Caller ID should be illegal for resident, but only for business purpose is different story.

Wonder we could propose due our concerned and safety. The reason I said that if we moved to other place or using your pager that you need to update your address where you are at stay. So you can change update address in order to call 911.

Example; the mysorenson.com offer to update the information. Again -- I don't know about other TRS have that same feature to pop up information to have information where I am at... due similar to Spoofing Caller ID.

Hearing or whoever people like to abused but we still need that kind feature service isn't fair for us who is not abuser like that teenager.

I wonder what teenager do daily...

Good thing the kid got caught. That should make others think twice before doing the same thing. :nono:

This was most likely not VRS, as most pranksters would probably not a) learn sign to abuse the system, and b) show their face to a sign language interpreter.

This was most likely an IP Relay system (typing through the internet).

unfortunately about to vp

:wave:I think so could set up business for okay I think so set up Canada. I wish be wait for you,

I cannot allow Canada. I wonder I don't care uses Law, I complaint to should setting all the World. I wish be friendly,

I don't understand what is happened I don't understand what is access not sure then I don't uses on american. I cannot do it.

I understand that is hard time. I fight to political: I don't like blocked to Canada?

Why are you doing about to setting on website? I thought to you should put in Canada. I wish be click on the comments. I hope be wait for Canada.

I wonderful I don't understand what is happened. I thought to stuck my life. I don't understand wait for you

I am stuck you I don't believe what is happened. I understand what is not easy perfect. I understand I wish be put in freedom... peaceful

I read this thread before. It was probably last Feb on AD. Someone already posted it.

Catty

Back