A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was just a one second bar soap in the mouth. Mom warned me she was going to do that, and I kept saying it.

I was talking about Oral deaf with hearing aids and CI. When us oral deaf tell parents our experience, they think CI will be different but the truth is, there will always be some stuggle.

My daughter would have been an "oral deaf failure" if she had not gotten a CI. It made a tremendous difference.

The other day, I thought someone said bee with my CI... turned out she said pee. I kept asking her to repeat herself over 5 or six times because she wasn't using the word in a sentence.
Finally she used it in a sentence and I understood. This was in a quiet small room too.

With my hearing aids, I would have know the difference. Therefore this doesn't mean I didn't have the auditory pathway for bee and pee.. because I heard it all my life.

Just an aside, if you are unable to discriminate between "p" and "b", you probably need a tune up. Those sounds share a lot of the same acoustical information, so your audiologist would figure out which of your electrodes covers the formant in which those two sounds are DIFFERENT and turn up the gain. That should increase your ability to discriminate those two sounds. Mention it to your audi and I bet he fixes it right up.

I have an appointment this afternoon for a hearing test in the otology/neurotology department of a hospital, and immediately afterward with a surgeon who does the CI implants. I have tough questions to ask and will get the answers. I feel that the hearing people in this thread are entirely too rah rah over it.

I have an appointment this afternoon for a hearing test in the otology/neurotology department of a hospital, and immediately afterward with a surgeon who does the CI implants. I have tough questions to ask and will get the answers. I feel that the hearing people in this thread are entirely too rah rah over it.

Make sure you ask about EARLY childhood implantation. Adults are a totally different situation.

Just an aside, if you are unable to discriminate between "p" and "b", you probably need a tune up. Those sounds share a lot of the same acoustical information, so your audiologist would figure out which of your electrodes covers the formant in which those two sounds are DIFFERENT and turn up the gain. That should increase your ability to discriminate those two sounds. Mention it to your audi and I bet he fixes it right up.

yeah, I will always have have a mapping... and sometime screw it up too

actually, after years of mapping, I don't think it really will make much of a difference. Everytime I go....its you know. oh. ok. The beginning was great though.. but I had my CI for 7 years.

But did you grow up with a CI? My point was that while your argument fits a child for whom spoken language is not audible or any child growing up in a culturally signing environment, it doesn't apply to most children who are growing up with CIs (or HAs that provide full access to spoken voice).

I had HAs and for what has been said many times on this forum, that CIs are just glorified HAs and either give a realistic grasp on sounds as would meet perfect hearing.

I don't know, it looks like you are getting very varied accounts from FJ, Rick, me, deafgal, deafskeptic, Sheila, RD, and I know I'm missing a few others with CIs or with children using CIs (oh, and Posts from Hell wears a CI, right? ) -- it looks like a whole range of findings, both rah rah and eh, not so rah rah. A CI is not a silver bullet for everyone, but it's worked really well in my daughter's case. And as FJ said, it's a very different experience for early implantation vs. adult implantation.

Good luck, keep your mind open.

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:
actually, after years of mapping, I don't think it really will make much of a difference. Everytime I go....its you know. oh. ok. The beginning was great though.. but I had my CI for 7 years.

just make sure you tell the audi what you can and can not discriminate. Do you do booth testing? That should tell what you are and are not hearing and then he can fix what you are missing.

As for cats, ever heard the phrase "it's like herding the cats"?

As for the rest of the animals, I dunno about them.

Yes, I have. And the visual I get in my head when I hear it cracks me up!:laugh2:

We do the beep test (I don't know what they call that type of test).. I have to tell her when to stop if it get too loud on different pitches. That's how they map my CI.

Wirelessly posted

just make sure you tell the audi what you can and can not discriminate. Do you do booth testing? That should tell what you are and are not hearing and then he can fix what you are missing.

Boy is that a loaded statement. Discrimination often can't be "fixed". And to use the word "fixed" in relation to anything related to hearing loss is a great way to turn people off. And a demonstration of the beliefs you really hold.

Thanks Beclak not so certain about the "not stirring the pot" part :) There are some, myself included, who might not agree with that description.

I do not disagree that there are advantages to being truly bilingual and if it can be accomplished then there is no reason not to. However, like anything else, each kid is different, some like my own child never had interest in sign and was and still is an auditory learner and how she processes information the best (as opposed to my hearing daughter who is the opposite and is a visual learner). Others are like a former member Cloggy's daughter who grew up with both sign and spoken languages (she is multilingual) but over time had a decided preference towards spoken language only.
Rick

Yes, I agree with you that every child is different and that as parents we make choices that are in the best interests of our child and the well-being of our family. What I think has been misinterpreted here - we are not discrediting the efforts made by hearing families for their deaf children nor are we belittling the choices made. The main argument here is that is a fairly common trait among hearing parents and families that have a deaf child/ren in their midst (may I clarify - not all) pushing strongly for spoken/oral language. What I am saying here is that spoken language is not natural for a deaf person or child and even if pursued - it can never reach to the standards that are known to and expected by the hearing.

Boy is that a loaded statement. Discrimination often can't be "fixed". And to use the word "fixed" in relation to anything related to hearing loss is a great way to turn people off. And a demonstration of the beliefs you really hold.

She didn't say discrimination could be fixed. Or that hearing loss could be fixed. You put those dangerous words into close proximity, not FJ. CI processors are tools with setting that can be adjusted (fixed).

Yes, I agree with you that every child is different and that as parents we make choices that are in the best interests of our child and the well-being of our family. What I think has been misinterpreted here - we are not discrediting the efforts made by hearing families for their deaf children nor are we belittling the choices made. The main argument here is that is a fairly common trait among hearing parents and families that have a deaf child/ren in their midst (may I clarify - not all) pushing strongly for spoken/oral language. What I am saying here is that spoken language is not natural for a deaf person or child and even if pursued - it can never reach to the standards that are known to and expected by the hearing.

Exactly. Many seem to use that dichotomous thinking and are unable to understand that when we discuss the majority it does not rule out the few exceptions. Then they take it personally, when it is really their misunderstanding of the discussion that creates the objections to begin with. Just because something may be right for an exception, does not mean that is is a method that should be used across the board when it has already been shown with years of research and life results that it is not effective for the majority. Policies should be instituted based on the efficacy of the method for the majority, and accommodations made for the exceptions. We do it in reverse.

She didn't say discrimination could be fixed. Or that hearing loss could be fixed. You put those dangerous words into close proximity, not FJ. CI processors are tools with setting that can be adjusted (fixed).

CI processors can be adjusted. They don't fix anything. You can accept my suggestion that the terminolgy is offensive to many deaf, or not. Your choice. But realize that if you continue to use that phrasing, having once had it pointed out that it is offensive, then you cannot complain of people become offended and discount anything else you have to say.

The statement to which I first responded stated, "It can be fixed". That implies that the issue of not hearing in certain frequencies can be fixed. CI or no, it often cannot be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back