A Cure For Deafness In Future!!

xvxcalvin

Reaction score
Stem Cells May Be Key To Deafness Cure, Researchers Say They Can Grow Into The Hair Cells That Allow Us To Hear - CBS News (For more information, go here)

I just copy and paste here if yall dont believe me.

It's called Stem Cell, it regenerates in the inner ear to help people hear once agian

(CBS) In a dusty, cluttered lab at Stanford University, a team of young scientists is on a quest. Curing deafness is the goal, reports CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Kaledin, and Stefan Heller says stem cells hold the key.

"I hope that in five years, we are at a point that we can say that it is possible to cure deafness, at least in an animal," Heller says. "That will be the first step toward treating human patients."

DONT GIVE UP YOUR HOPE. THERE MAY BE CURE IN FUTURE?

Stem Cells May Be Key To Deafness Cure, Researchers Say They Can Grow Into The Hair Cells That Allow Us To Hear - CBS News (For more information, go here)

It's called Stem Cell, it regenerates in the inner ear to help people hear once agian

(CBS) In a dusty, cluttered lab at Stanford University, a team of young scientists is on a quest. Curing deafness is the goal, reports CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Kaledin, and Stefan Heller says stem cells hold the key.

"I hope that in five years, we are at a point that we can say that it is possible to cure deafness, at least in an animal," Heller says. "That will be the first step toward treating human patients."

Cool! Heard this before with Chicken's cell. Now with Stem cells!!. I agree that soon enuf that we won't be needing CI LOL. But still it may not be perfect.

Catty

believe it....:cool2:

Hmm, I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet because the stem cell experiment is still fairly new. While it may be a good thing but on the other hand, just exactly how would that work for one who has been deaf all it's life and the only thing he/she has known is to be deaf? It's like asking for his/her world to be turned upside down.

Yup, stem cells can do a lot of things (they are key in development of a fetus, but adults also have stem cells... there's two different 'kinds').
They can possibly cure spinal cord injuries causing paralysis, forms of brain damage, cure neurological diseases... a lot of things.

The only problem with harvesting adult type stem cells is they can't be used for as many things as embryonic stem cells... and there's still the controversy over embryonic stem cells.. but adult stem cells can be harvested from the patient's own body and be used to make new kinds of cells.

Hmm, I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet because the stem cell experiment is still fairly new. While it may be a good thing but on the other hand, just exactly how would that work for one who has been deaf all it's life and the only thing he/she has known is to be deaf? It's like asking for his/her world to be turned upside down.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...I am with u on that one 100%. :)

Hmm, I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet because the stem cell experiment is still fairly new. While it may be a good thing but on the other hand, just exactly how would that work for one who has been deaf all it's life and the only thing he/she has known is to be deaf? It's like asking for his/her world to be turned upside down.

Well, similar to CI, some might want it, and some might not, and both are fine and up to the individual (or should be).

Well, similar to CI, some might want it, and some might not, and both are fine and up to the individual (or should be).

Yeah, It's a personal choice if one chose to do this or not. I'm not against it myself, but I have to wonder how will the attitude of this come out, if the stem cells are successful. If it is successful, I'm pretty sure it will be the next "hot" thing to get one's hand on it.

OMG, I don't know what next after the stem cells. Don't the hearing people give up when we keep saying that hearing aids and CI don't work for us? Now someone want to have stem cells for us, Deafies and Hard of Hearing people to hear the words without lipreading. I doubt that we won't be able to hear the perfect sound like the hearing people hear. I am getting sick of tire of people trying to fix us saying they are hoping that we can hear better than CI. Sigh. I am perfectly happy being Deaf ever since I was born with it. We still have to keep fighting the hearing people and hearing authorities that they can not fix us. That is their pipe dream of having us hear like them. When will they ever end and just accept us being Deaf and Hard of Hearing, eh? Only the late deafen people and maybe some hard of hearing people who wants to hear the words without lipreading very badly, that is okay for them. I don't know. Just let them and they can make the decision on their own. Just leave us alone and we will be happy to have ASL and sign language interpreters. We don't want to be suffered and put through again and again. It just not fair to us. :(

OMG, I don't know what next after the stem cells. Don't the hearing people give up when we keep saying that hearing aids and CI don't work for us? Now someone want to have stem cells for us, Deafies and Hard of Hearing people to hear the words without lipreading. I doubt that we won't be able to hear the perfect sound like the hearing people hear. I am getting sick of tire of people trying to fix us saying they are hoping that we can hear better than CI. Sigh. I am perfectly happy being Deaf ever since I was born with it. We still have to keep fighting the hearing people and hearing authorities that they can not fix us. That is their pipe dream of having us hear like them. When will they ever end and just accept us being Deaf and Hard of Hearing, eh? Only the late deafen people and maybe some hard of hearing people who wants to hear the words without lipreading very badly, that is okay for them. I don't know. Just let them and they can make the decision on their own. Just leave us alone and we will be happy to have ASL and sign language interpreters. We don't want to be suffered and put through again and again. It just not fair to us. :(

This does not have to deal with us d/Deaf people. Many hearing people who's hearing has decline would want this. We d/Deaf people can choose this or not. It's just like d/Deaf people choosing to use a HA or CI. I understand this is your personal opinion but just think of how this scientific advancement would benefit the world. If they can fix something so advance and complex like the ear, imagine what's next.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did this.

The only problem is that stem cell research is still a sticky issue here in the United States. :(

Well, in the USA at least, there are patient rights... they can't actually FORCE you to do anything (though they might pester you a lot over something)

Doctors can barely save a person's life without their permission, in a lot of cases, let alone do an elective procedure. (the only problem is with kids, parents or guardian ends up being the one to decide, in that case).

Also not everyone is "capital D" Deaf, either. Not everyone subscribes to the whole 'culture' of 'only being different'.

Edit:
There is a difference between someone pestering you about it, and other things, too. Just like people can be fine the way they are, and feel they shouldn't need to change (which is perfectly ok), other people -do- have the right to think you 'need to be fixed', as long as they don't discriminate or actually force you. They are only expressing their thoughts, however annoying and silly they might be, which is allowed. All you can do is either ignore them, or try to get them to see your side.

Well, I am happy to know that over the years we are seeing progress in relation to improving hearing. It is good to know that more doctors/researchers, etc are using science to possibly reverse hearing loss.

I can understand why some people may not be interested about the hearing development process, just as those who are not interested in CI. However, it is a fact that more people have hearing loss today. A few months ago, someone posted a thread about soldiers losing their hearing. I am sure they would want to get their hearing back.

Maybe they will work on only people who just lost their hearing instead of long term nerve damage? I don't know so I will wait and see if it will work on worst case of deafness first then I will believe it.

I doubt that this will ever become a reality. They've been saying that there's a cure just around the corner for YEARS now. Matter of fact, back in the 70's, the big thing with AG Bad was chiropratic to "cure" deafness.
Besides,, if stem cells would cure deafness, then how come a bone marrow transplant hasn't cured deafness? BMT is basicly stem cells.
Also, on the list of bad things, hearing loss IS not THAT bad. Things like mental illness, Alzieherimers, mental retardation, and other things like that are SO much more deserving of research and treatment then something as mild as hearing loss.

Back