A charity case...

deafdrummer

Reaction score
How many of you have ever found out you were just merely a charity F*? In other words, the supposed love of your life admits to you that either you're not attractive, or something about "the relationship," or that you get the feeling that s/he was feeling sorry for you and wanted to make you feel better.

I hate it when that happens because it can destroy your sense of self in relationships, and it alienates one from other people sometimes.

Comments, post 'em!

Nope. Of course since I don't give it up quickly, it would be quite a commitment for the "love of my life" to hang around just out of pity.

I prefer to have a personal relationship before jumping in bed. But then, maybe I am just old fashioned.

Or I just was not pitiful enough...or maybe I was TOO pitiful.

I also haven't had any action for a long time, so many probably won't like my way of doing this. Darn self-esteem.

;-P

Can you give us an example in your case and we can go from there??

Sure, I can give you an example! I was working at a grocery store during college, and this girl came up to me and gave me a hug. I thought, "Okay, she wants to be friends." I was trying to figure out what it was we had in common, as I was just your typical person in Texas, and she was more into the New Wave thing at the time. She asked for a ride home, since her partner didn't show up to pick her up (as she was still in high school, though over 18). I gladly obliged. And as it was night and we rounded the corner away from the store to get on the street behind it, she asked me to stop as she had something to tell me. I thought, "Okay..." I had no idea what came next; she kissed me!! I was very surprised! What, why me?? It went from there, but it barely lasted two months before she told me she couldn't sneak behind her partner's back anymore. I was shocked because I thought she had broken up with her previous partner, but umm, (I hate it when they tell me this) she felt sorry for me, as she knew I wasn't with anybody and appeared frustrated (and I was! My hormones were raging in those days!).

Here's another one. It wasn't until more than 8 years later before I had another dating opportunity. No one ever asked me out, and the few I did ask out said no. But this one, we were classmates in college for our masters program. She did the same thing by surprising me, except this time, she was free as a bird, not attached to anyone. We had LOTS of fun that weekend. A week later, we were walking back from class to her house near campus. I noticed she was keeping her distance from me, and I thought, "Now what?" So, we just kept walking. We sat down and talked. Again, she let me down. And boy, she was honest by saying explicitly, "Look, remember when I asked if you were seeing anyone and if you were gay? I asked because I wanted to know if I could approach you. I mean, you're deaf and very different. Different enough to not date. I wanted to give you some relief, to have some sex, some fun because you don't get it." Here we go, charity f* again.

You see, the longest relationship I've had was chaotic; 13 months of questioning why we were together. I'm not getting into this one. I just know, looking back on it, that it wasn't right for me to start with, but I was desperate to be with SOMEONE, and that's never a good basis for a relationship.

Now, the last relationship was nearly 6 years ago. I'm still not sure exactly why it is that we got together in the first place, but I guess because we needed some attention because we weren't getting it. She had a disability that was going to be hard to live with, but I was going to anyway. We weren't a good fit for each other, anyway. That one lasted two months.

So, I have not dated anyone since. Nobody ever asked me, and I haven't seen anyone in just the right circumstances. And this time, there will be no more charity F*s. I think I have grown enough to be able to understand how to avoid the basic ones in the future. If I ever do have another relationship, I will have to learn how to avoid the not-so-obvious charity F*s. You know, the ones that avoid facing within themselves just why did they get with me in the first place for a long time, and finally, they have enough a few months later, but keep up the front that they're interested in me until they start having nightmares.

Why not just take the time to really get to know the girl first?....what's ur hurry to hop in the bed with someone...I can see if it's just sex (or lack of it)...but if you desire a really true and lasting relationship with someone, then get to know each other, go out and have fun first.

No one forced you to have what you're calling a "charity f"...I would not let anyone use me in that manner.....

Why not just take the time to really get to know the girl first?....what's ur hurry to hop in the bed with someone...I can see if it's just sex (or lack of it)...but if you desire a really true and lasting relationship with someone, then get to know each other, go out and have fun first.

No one forced you to have what you're calling a "charity f"...I would not let anyone use me in that manner.....

You don't understand, Robin. I don't have functional intimate relationship skills. I was wild (or natural) for too long. I belong in the paleolithic time, not here, not now. I can't cope with the need to be this, to be that, have this job, believe this, believe that. I just can't do it.

You have to understand... What were relationships like 20,000 BCE? What did we do if we could barely communicate, had no christian or muslim god, had very little in the way of social stratification or cultural differences? It was all about simply being (and surviving, of course). That is where I belong, unfortunately. I'm very simple in that regard, and people can't deal with that.

You see, I can't tell when people consider me a charity F* to start with. I don't know how to read people very well. All I can do, honestly, is hope that when I meet someone, that the same patterns don't repeat, and that I can be experienced enough to stop it when I see it. I don't practice, I can't practice because the opportunities aren't there.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sorry for ur dilemma, I'm not a therapist so I can't help you with this....but it seems that you know what ur problem is...so it's gonna be you to solve it.

How many of you have ever found out you were just merely a charity F*? In other words, the supposed love of your life admits to you that either you're not attractive, or something about "the relationship," or that you get the feeling that s/he was feeling sorry for you and wanted to make you feel better.

I hate it when that happens because it can destroy your sense of self in relationships, and it alienates one from other people sometimes.

Comments, post 'em!

Dude, did you ever stop to think that it just a way for a woman to redirect blame? Just saying...

You don't understand, Robin. I don't have functional intimate relationship skills. I was wild (or natural) for too long. I belong in the paleolithic time, not here, not now. I can't cope with the need to be this, to be that, have this job, believe this, believe that. I just can't do it.

You have to understand... What were relationships like 20,000 BCE? What did we do if we could barely communicate, had no christian or muslim god, had very little in the way of social stratification or cultural differences? It was all about simply being (and surviving, of course). That is where I belong, unfortunately. I'm very simple in that regard, and people can't deal with that.

You see, I can't tell when people consider me a charity F* to start with. I don't know how to read people very well. All I can do, honestly, is hope that when I meet someone, that the same patterns don't repeat, and that I can be experienced enough to stop it when I see it. I don't practice, I can't practice because the opportunities aren't there.

Dude, in 20,000 BC you would probably be killed because you cobuldn't hear the sabortooth cat reaping up on you or wost cast out by your peers for being deaf. Trust me, we live in better times.

Well, I'm sorry for ur dilemma, I'm not a therapist so I can't help you with this....but it seems that you know what ur problem is...so it's gonna be you to solve it.

I wasn't asking for help, because I know you can't do anything about it. You don't even know me. So, I can't expect that of you. I wanted to share my experience, and see who else has experienced this.

BUT, there is something to be said for being single, in that you can do whatever you want, anytime... Anyplace... You don't have to haggle over where to move next or what to do for a living. You just go do it. Not everyone has that freedom, and that's probably why I am the way I am, because I seem to value that more than a relationship, no matter how much I miss or dream of having one. There are consequences in the decisions you make. It's probably one of the consequences of being mentally wild. Sure, I know how to read and write, and think, BUT what's different is a soundless sense of self that feels, "I am it. I rule my roost." And I know how to live singly. It would be nice to have a partner, though, but I'm not going to kill myself over it like a friend of mine did in August last year.

He was brought up like every other hearing man. What happened was, he was my coworker and hated it at my company and Houston. He wanted to get out, and he eventually quit his job without notice and moved to Arizona to be with his old flame, which was a big mistake. It became evident to him (whether he was conscious of it or not) that he and she were not the same people they were 40 years ago. Things began to fall apart. He started drinking as soon as she asked him to move out of the house and didn't want to continue the relationship any further. He got into a wreck and was arrested for DWI and his truck impounded. His employer brought him to court, where he lost his driver's license. Said employer also let him go, as he had no way to get to his job sites. He ran out of money because he no longer had a job. The time frame between the day of the relationship ending and his day of death was only 10 days... What's sad is that he didn't talk to me about any of this. In fact, I didn't know because it was all happening on Facebook, and I had left for Ohio on a near 3-week trip just 3 days after, and I didn't know that he was not present to receive my trip journal entries via e-mail. It wasn't until I got to work the first day and saw his obituary on one of the walls at work. It was a rough day for me, especially when I came back from Ohio a changed person.

The reason I bring this up is because I know why I'm different and how I arrived at a life like mine instead of one where I have 1.5 houses, 2.37 children, and 1.67 cars in the driveway and have been married 2.3 times (I never married in this life). I see it very clearly. At the same time, I have years of experience in isolation, especially in the very beginning when no one knew I was deaf. I have lived alone much of my adult life. Because my friend was brought up in a religious family and eventually broke from it, was married twice and had one child, a typical life in modern civilization, he didn't know what to do once he lost his girlfriend. He didn't know how to deal with the pain of loneliness, and he couldn't see beyond it. I have years of experience with this and know that it's not the end of the world. But apparently, he thought it was...

Dude, in 20,000 BC you would probably be killed because you cobuldn't hear the sabortooth cat reaping up on you or wost cast out by your peers for being deaf. Trust me, we live in better times.

HOw is a sabortooth cat different from a Lion or Tiger??? I am sooo curious!! Did they make a zoo for Sabortooth cat???

When I said "we," I wasn't talking about deaf people. I was talking only about hearing people. Chances are, among hearing people with no visible defects, there was only rudimentary communication skills and very little in the way of cultural and social stratification within a large group of people. Thusly, less "stuff" to get in the way of how you selected a lover in those days.

Sorry, but I'm lost here...are you looking for a relationship, even possible marriage...or just a "lover"?....Lovers come and go with no commitment, and no explanations needed or necessary, just a walk out the door....and that could also be called a "charity F"...just someone to get a release from sexual tension.....a "free F"...if you will.....and just because you have sex with someone doesn't mean that person is gonna want to have a serious relationship with you, or even stay with you.

A relationship can be built upon time...common interests and trust. So actually, I don't know what the problem really is here. You seem to be a free spirit, and many people are....You also seem to be a deep thinker...so I would suggest getting into activities or clubs that interest you and find other people that have the same interest that you do.....If I'm off base here, then sorry!...It's the only input I can think of.

How many of you have ever found out you were just merely a charity F*?
In answer to your question, I've never experienced that.

I even question that it was true "charity" on the other party's part. It sounds more like exploitation to me.

Deaf drummer, I have never met you and don't expect to meet you, but I sympathy with you.

You see, in my HS and almost all of my 20s, I was single and I hated it!!! I never had a date for my prom nor home coming dance and that still kills me to today.

I eventually found my niche buying and selling bikes.

I got into a 2 year relationship from 2008 to 2010. It unraveled when the woman begged me to get her a ring.

I now have a different girlfriend. She does want a ring, but she is not going to beg me for one. She wants us to live together.

I know that when we live together, I won't be able to do as much buying and selling of bikes. I won't be able to freelance as much as I do right now.

My current girlfriend is patient, but I know that I would eventually have to make a choice of getting married and living with my girlfriend or just free lance for rest of my life.

I have to make my choice. I know you do too. We are in the same boat. I hope that it turns out well for you.

In answer to your question, I've never experienced that.

I even question that it was true "charity" on the other party's part. It sounds more like exploitation to me.

Agree, somewhat...reading/understanding and knowing someone's true and real intentions is hard. Same as for being a good judge of character.....

Agree, somewhat...reading/understanding and knowing someone's true and real intentions is hard. Same as for being a good judge of character.....
One person using another for sex, and then saying that it was out of charity seems cruel, to me. It's bad enough that one person took advantage of the other but then to tell the person it was for charitable reasons only--that is low.

Back