9 year old Aided main stream child so many questions

Shel90 I can only smile reading your last post....
Last week Will turned in his project with words wrong. I walk in and ask the teacher why he didnt provide the written version of what he wanted. He said I did, I wrote it on the board. I look at my son Why didnt you write it down? My son says, he put it on the board 2 weeks ago for the first group. I was in group 2 and it was erased when I needed it.
The teacher says, yeah that is correct, dont worry I will pretend it is right.

I know how frustrating these educated teachers are yet no one is responding to me. Everyone has the attitude it will be fine, dont worry, it will work out.

You should write a book with your stories!

Shel90 I can only smile reading your last post....
Last week Will turned in his project with words wrong. I walk in and ask the teacher why he didnt provide the written version of what he wanted. He said I did, I wrote it on the board. I look at my son Why didnt you write it down? My son says, he put it on the board 2 weeks ago for the first group. I was in group 2 and it was erased when I needed it.
The teacher says, yeah that is correct, dont worry I will pretend it is right.

I know how frustrating these educated teachers are yet no one is responding to me. Everyone has the attitude it will be fine, dont worry, it will work out.

You should write a book with your stories!

Yea I should especially when I learned ASL and discovered the Deaf world at age 25 years old and how it changed my life for the better. My problem is I don't know where or how to start...

I wish you all the best in exploring all the options available for your son. If my own experience is anything to go by, speech therapy will only benefit those around your son who are hearing. It will only become a source of frustration for your son as it is his weakest point. He would have to put in 200% than those around him all his waking hours. It is exhausting to say the least. Learning sign language will allow him to be himself, he will not have to explain himself continuously. He will not have to bluff his way through life, pretending to be someone he is not. He will not be constantly bombarded with 'but you speak so well, you can't be hard of hearing/deaf'. People will be less inclined to meet him where he's at if he relies on speech alone. He will be much happier with a option of communication that takes the pressure off. Trust me, speech therapy is not a short term thing. If he goes down that road it will be a constant nagging exhausting effort for him for the rest of his life. He will always be falling short of the mark, even when he is considered an 'oral success'.

Last edited:
I dont know why but I always assumed the hearing principal was correct. I am going to do some calling and more research monday morning about this.

We have NO help for my son in our school district. The deaf school is about 20 minutes from us. The reason we are struggling is because our educators are NOT educated on how to help us.

I have a feeling Monday morning when I ask for ASL for him I will get the standard "he does not qualify."

I am pretty sure that they will have to teach him ASL and then provide an interrupter which will solve a few of his current issues.

So many things should happen for us but NO one knows until it is too late or I figure them out on my own. I dont believe anyone is being malicious but again they are so under educated with his condition.....It is so frustrating.

I wish I would have taught him ASL from age 2!

Check out the Deaf School.....there may be some strongly academic kids there....Look into a regional dhh program or a magnet school....those placements are good b/c they offer the challenge of the mainstream, PLUS Dhh specific resources......Definitly try to go full toolbox with him....you really don't need to worry about speech/spoken language with HOH kids......so why not add ASL and deaf school/camps etc?

If your son has mild hearing loss, is aided and is struggling then I'd really suggest looking for a paediatric Audiologist who also specializes in "communication disorders" - and have him evaluated for Auditory Processing Disorder (APD).

Also, for school, if he isn't already using an FM system, then request this (politely demand). FM can be especially helpful for those with mild HL because it minimizes all the background noises that his HAs will be picking up and (because he has mild) he WILL be hearing and having to sort through in order to make sense of the voices etc he needs to hear.

Oh..............and just wanted to say your son's experiance is nothing new...lots of HOH kids struggle around 3rd/4th grade....not to mention it IS really frustrating trying to get an education for a low incidence kid in the mainstream...that's one of the unsurmountable flaws with inclusion/mainstreaming....most teachers (including special ed teachers) have NO CLUE how to teach dhh kids.....they're well meaning.....but they don't have the training....
Oh....and if you're encountering resistance to him learning ASL, tell them that you want him to be bilingal and to learn to function both with and without his hearing aids. Ask the school admin if they will pay for his hearing aids when he is an adult (as they are expensive.Many dhh as kids adults are on disabilty,NOT b/c they aren't "well educated" but b/c they cannot afford the sky high price of hearing aids.) There ARE HOH (both audilogically and functionally) kids at schools for the Deaf
Also, exposure to the Deaf community will help him socially and emotionally...which will REALLY help him in life. Yes, academics are very important but they are only a small part of the puzzle overall.......

I have a small piece I would like to add......like others have said, it can be exhausting trying to "fake it" all day, every day. He will have and want times with no hearing aids. Swimming, bathing, sleeping etc, Learning ASL will give you both a way to communicte at all times. There are some great ASL websites that people here on AD recommended. You might want to check them out for yourself, it can be fun too.

Wish? Are you currently learning ASL and already begin taught him ASL? If not, then why wait longer?

Here is fact, there are countless of highly educated Deaf people coming out from Deaf School holding good job nowadays. Speech is seriously least the worries.

Image if Deaf was good with speech but undereducated because of countless hours spent focus on speech rather than education, is that a good thing? Something you gotta to think about.

I wish I would have taught him ASL from age 2!

Also here are some organizations you might want to join:American Society for Deaf Children - Home
and
Hands & Voices
Is moving an option? There are some pretty good schools/programs for the Deaf out there.(I know a few that are turning into the kind of schools that people move for,like Maryland School,Texas School,FSDB,Rocky Mountain Deaf school)...especially at the larger schools......I wish I knew of magnet schools and regional programs,as it sounds like he doesn't NEED the hyperspecialization of a school for the Deaf...unfortuatly many schools for the Deaf are a last resort placement....Schools and Programs for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students in the United States

Wish? Are you currently learning ASL and already begin taught him ASL? If not, then why wait longer?

Here is fact, there are countless of highly educated Deaf people coming out from Deaf School holding good job nowadays. Speech is seriously least the worries.

Image if Deaf was good with speech but undereducated because of countless hours spent focus on speech rather than education, is that a good thing? Something you gotta to think about.

That's me! But I am extremely lovable!! :wave:

Hello, so mad at myself for waiting for 8 years to find this!!

My immediate issue is that My son is mild hearing loss aided bi latterly. Qualifies for no help. I have fought tooth and nail for EVERYTHING at our school. Our principal and special education adviser are kind, however under educated about his disability.

So, we are 3rd grade now, and we are chugging along. I have been saying for 4 years to anyone and everyone he can not discern words. He dosent know that when you say Fake a left he thinks you just said TAKE a left.....

I finally have had it with "it will all work out. we wont count off for those mistakes..."

I heard someone say he needs "refine discrimination" help. I wrote it down thinking I can find that.

Not having any luck on google. Can anyone point me in the direction???
thanks!!

First, a kid with mild hearing loss should be using hearing aids and an FM system especially in elementary school.
The FM system will ensure that the teacher's voice goes directly to his ears without any background noise.

If your son is having trouble despite appropriate hearing aids and FM systems, you should consider testing for auditory processing disorders and/or auditory therapy.
Unless he is struggling to understand speech and struggling to be understood going to a Deaf school is not the right answer.
Your son has mild hearing loss. Most kids at Deaf schools have severe to profound hearing loss.
And, I realize people will not like this but...the Deaf school in my state produces graduates who are considered a success if they can ride the bus to their 3 day a week job without help.
Maybe it is just the school here but Deaf kids should be expected to be ale to do everything their hearing peers can do except hear.
Only 20% (6) of the students were planning on going to college and all but one of those students were going to be part-time students at a community college while enrolled in the Deaf school post-graduate transition program that teaches "independent living skills". The one kid who was actually going to a 4 year college was going to Gally (way to go kid!).

But I was disgusted when I read an article praising recent Deaf school graduates who can ride the bus by themselves. WTH?
Just because a person is deaf or has hearing loss doesn't mean the bar should be lowered.
Obviously not all hearing kids go to college but the expectations should be the same for hearing and deaf kids.

First, a kid with mild hearing loss should be using hearing aids and an FM system especially in elementary school.
The FM system will ensure that the teacher's voice goes directly to his ears without any background noise.

If your son is having trouble despite appropriate hearing aids and FM systems, you should consider testing for auditory processing disorders and/or auditory therapy.
Unless he is struggling to understand speech and struggling to be understood going to a Deaf school is not the right answer.
Your son has mild hearing loss. Most kids at Deaf schools have severe to profound hearing loss.
And, I realize people will not like this but...the Deaf school in my state produces graduates who are considered a success if they can ride the bus to their 3 day a week job without help.
Maybe it is just the school here but Deaf kids should be expected to be ale to do everything their hearing peers can do except hear.
Only 20% (6) of the students were planning on going to college and all but one of those students were going to be part-time students at a community college while enrolled in the Deaf school post-graduate transition program that teaches "independent living skills". The one kid who was actually going to a 4 year college was going to Gally (way to go kid!).

But I was disgusted when I read an article praising recent Deaf school graduates who can ride the bus by themselves. WTH?
Just because a person is deaf or has hearing loss doesn't mean the bar should be lowered.
Obviously not all hearing kids go to college but the expectations should be the same for hearing and deaf kids.

ecp.........
I agree there needs to be higher standards for Deaf kids.....But,did you know that most of the kids at deaf schools are transfers? It's very well known that the early childhood at Deaf Schools are REALLY good.........but things get watered down b/c all the kids who transfer in from the mainstream(where they fell through the cracks) start coming.....and not all kids at deaf schools are severe/profound kids....there are lots of HOH kids too....why the hell should a few measly dcbs make a difference as to placement/accomondations? The learning and content and accomondations are the SAME.............it's just that for various and sundry reasons a lto of the students (some of whom are guess what.....ORAL) are behind...........Besides dhh and other disabled kids get treated like "oh wow gosharootie! You can ride the bus alone" in ....guess where....THE mainstream as WELL!

and before I get attacked about being a fan of deaf schools despite "knowing nothing about them".....there are good deaf schools/programs and good hearing schools..Heck,there was a guy from TLC who went to Princeton! There are also kids from deaf schools who go to other competive colleges....There are ALSO bad deaf and hearing schools.Would you mainstream your kid in East St. Louis,or Gary Indidana or Compton or a school overrun with gangs? Would you mainstream your kid at a school where even the hearing kids get a horrible education?
.And it does seem like there are usually at least SOME kids at schools for the Deaf who are strongly academic (and it depends on the school)...That said, early childhood education at Deaf schools can and do offer things that an inclusive placement may not be able to......and that's true for say blind schools...Did you know even at the blind schools where there are a lot of severe multi kids,there are some "just blind" kids who attend for preschool/kindergarten?
I just thought of an AWESOME idea....Ask the Deaf school which elementary school,they may use for mainstreaming...Those schools tend to be a lot more experianced with dhh kids......Maybe your son could simply transfer there...Maybe a good idea might be to start a regional dhh/magnet program there....then he'd get the best of both worlds.....Inclusion,unless the kid is a minimal accmondations superstar tends to suck.....and there's a very real risk he could just get lumped in with the Resource Room/special ed kids.....

If your son has mild hearing loss, is aided and is struggling then I'd really suggest looking for a paediatric Audiologist who also specializes in "communication disorders" - and have him evaluated for Auditory Processing Disorder (APD).

Also, for school, if he isn't already using an FM system, then request this (politely demand). FM can be especially helpful for those with mild HL because it minimizes all the background noises that his HAs will be picking up and (because he has mild) he WILL be hearing and having to sort through in order to make sense of the voices etc he needs to hear.

That's what I'm thinking to....APD with his mild hearing loss. Although nothing was said when he was given hearing aids that may be a contributing factor.

ecp.........
I agree there needs to be higher standards for Deaf kids.....But,did you know that most of the kids at deaf schools are transfers? It's very well known that the early childhood at Deaf Schools are REALLY good.........but things get watered down b/c all the kids who transfer in from the mainstream(where they fell through the cracks) start coming.....and not all kids at deaf schools are severe/profound kids....there are lots of HOH kids too....why the hell should a few measly dcbs make a difference as to placement/accomondations? The learning and content and accomondations are the SAME.............it's just that for various and sundry reasons a lto of the students (some of whom are guess what.....ORAL) are behind...........Besides dhh and other disabled kids get treated like "oh wow gosharootie! You can ride the bus alone" in ....guess where....THE mainstream as WELL!

Totally agree...

The blame on Deaf schools continue.:ugh:

I not able to help i come from another country but one thing i have in common as far as parenthood is making dicisions about your child,i had to and it had me tearing my hair out as you say another15years...i can only say i got my child to the right school totally disagreed with proffesionals and i was right.
Sometimes a gut feeling is right but i not saying do it i maybe wrong all you can do is your best

Will is using an FM system and has everything the school has to offer. However, no one takes into account the normal things that happen....
People walk in a class and yell things to there good buddy the teacher. Will gets only parts of this because it is confusing.
The teacher has to walk around our turn to answer someone, again, confusion, and adaption is hard for a 9 year old to learn.
He dosent always want to wear his hearing aids. Yes, I can make him however, it is his right not to wear them and there is no help when they are off.
Life happens, situations happen everyday.

My plan this morning is to start him, me and his sister in ASL. I am also going to go and sit at the deaf school for several days and see if that is a viable option for him. He qualifies for gifted and talented with his high IQ. However, first I must tackle the hearing challenges.

Where do I find these specialized audiologist? he tests perfect for communication in the 'ideal setting'. This is my huge issue. Life is not ideal EVER! So, he struggles on so many different occasions and dosent realize it.....Maybe we could just have a separate state for the deaf and hoh :)

AHHHHHH of course grand rapids Michigan does not recognize ASL. They believe kids should recognize speech.

BANGING MY HEAD!

Has Will had a comprehenisive Hearing examination-exactly where is he-now? Then based on facts-one can deal with that situation.
aside: head banging not usually a solution.

Back