$70k for CIs!

The only thing I am looking at in here....

I see prices for CI from $25,000 all the way up in the neighborhood of $100,000+....

Makes you wonder....

This, I agree. Kids, they can get the implants quickly and easily it seems. It's adults that have to fight. My state medicaid readily approves implants for kids with no problem, but I'm having to appeal to them. kind of frustrating really.

When I worked at Home Depot - you had to work 3 months to get insurance. On my third day I was approached by the store manager with a letter letting me know that I could get two CI's if I wanted to right there. :shock:

Doesn't hurt to ask around. The higher ups (the ones with power) are hearing and more likely they would want to "fix" you. So, easier to have them make the phone calls.

probably because researches says cochlear implant are more successful in children than adult.

So they are focusing on children now and saving their budget for children. Back then, it was adults because they weren't all that sure about implants on children.

but I think it is full of crap. Implant does help some deaf adults. It just not the result they were looking for.

In my previous job the insurance plan, HMO, and the cost me is co pay which is 25 dollars and insurance just pour out to paid 150,000 dollars. I was surprise about the cost because I asked them about it and they say 'don't worry... insurance will taken care of you.' Good enough, the insurance did taken care and paid that I am adult.

They are looking for support case that work for me due my lifestyle and benefit for me. As well, it went successful but didn't expect order off work for month.

Anyway, yes the CI cost as equal new car or house price.

In past, some people try to fund money to get benefit CIs but it was much success. So today, it isn't going happen here to USA due we are face the people lost their job

:wave:Well, I had my first CI yesterday in right ear. So far only minor discomfort. Did not and so far have not needed any pain meds. Did not keep me in over night. Only in hospital about 6 hours and all seems to have gone well. I did notice that I was hearing a lot of ??? noise in implanted ear? well not sure hearing is correct word but brain interpreted it that way. When I lay down noise went away and the when I sat up it would come back getting louder the longer I sat. I think it is due or was due to swelling. This morning still there but not nearly so loud, either I'm getting acustomed to it or it has subsided. I am amazed that it is hardly noticable with exception of loss of some hair in that area. Of course it is not active yet and obviously will be noticable when connected up. Now I get to wait a month or so until it gets activated. Going to be interesting to see what happens. I have Phonak in left ear so still hear but comprehension is not to swift.
Rampratt:wave:

the various prices will depend on the hospitals I'm sure... since they do factor in hospital/surgery costs with the implant, and each hospitals have their own different charges for whatever.

One of my cousins just got news that she is a candidate for Cochlear Implants and the cost is $70,000!

any ideas on how to raise money or finding help purchasing them?

Medicare pays for CI.

Yes, open set, ZERO, but SPONDEE, closed set, she could have pulled off, maybe, 30-40%, but only very familar, very different words.
She still pretty much qualified . I remember you saying that the only part of the hearing test she had some " maybe she doesn't qualify for CI" was a closed set one with very familiar and very different words.
A sitution like that is a very legit one for " off label" implantation....and I do think that while, insurance companies will be " cracking down" on who can and can't get CI, they'll use speech perception scores, so maybe kids who don't totally fit FDA criteria may be able to benifit.
I've got to say... I do think that the screening process needs to be both strict (to avoid " gotta have the latest CI b/c I can't hear in noise/ on the phone, even though my speech scores are good otherwise) but it also needs to have some flexibilty built into it, so that if a kid has low speech perception (in all or most situtions) but has a less then profound/severe-profound loss, they should qualify.

When you say medicare... how or where do I apply? There gotta be a foundation or program for each state that is willing to help pay qualified candidate to get CI. I 've read Cochlear Implant Assistance Program - Colorado Neurological Institute and other, but none of them is located on the SouthEast Coast. Does anyone know a place on the East coast?

the CNI Cochlear Implant Assistance Program will help anyone, regardless of where they are.

Medicare, Medicaid, they're both government-funded insurance. You will have to check with your local health department or family services about Medicare/Medicaid, apply and see if you qualify. I don't know where you are so I wouldn't know where you could try going for insurance/assistance in regards to the implant. Have you check with Vocational Rehab? I've heard that some VR's will pay for the implant.

Who would spend 70K for something that's a hit or miss?

That's why people make their insurance companies pay for them rather than out of their own pockets.

thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!

now i am trying to get used to my new hearing aids and that needs its own thread :)

imma have to agree with shel.. 90% is not 100% so it is still hit and miss. Please dont let my post derail anyone from looking into the implants tho. I am currently going through the " HIP" hearing implant program. I have been deaf for quite sometime and feel its time i take advantage of technology while I am able to have it done.

Back