3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

She probably headed to cicircle

Wirelessly posted

Or she took our advice..relax about it and use ASL

Last edited:
The 5 surgeries throughout my childhood hurt quite a bit, yes. The glasses themselves were physically uncomfortable, yes -- small child & nose bridge, long before the lovely light lenses of today, intentional blurring of 'good eye' to strengthen weaker -- still have one of those pairs from elementary school, a far cry from my bifocals today. I've never thought of it as oppression or cruelty and am very glad I had the opportunity to develop a passion for reading (alongside my passionate hatred for those glasses), even though it was through the help of repeated medical intervention and a device I still wear today. I don't feel like my parents were requiring me to do all that for their sake.

You do know that one can develop a "passion for reading" without being able to see, or having to undergo a series of operations, correct?

There's other ways to read, much in the same way that there are other ways to speak and other ways to love language... than just being able to hear it or articulate speech.

You do know that one can develop a "passion for reading" without being able to see, or having to undergo a series of operations, correct?

There's other ways to read, much in the same way that there are other ways to speak and other ways to love language... than just being able to hear it or articulate speech.

Seems like they cant imagine what it is like to be without sight or hearing.

Seems like they cant imagine what it is like to be without sight or hearing.

Indeed. But I still dislike it when people use their ignorance of blindness to justify inhumane treatment of blind or otherwise disabled people "for their own good."

Indeed. But I still dislike it when people use their ignorance of blindness to justify inhumane treatment of blind or otherwise disabled people "for their own good."

I agree. That was what I was trying to explain but I gave up.

Who here is advocating for inhumane treatment for anyone?

Interestingly enough, if this thread had been titled "3 year old with HAs" rather than "cochlear" we would not have had our throats jumped down. All we were trying to do was point out that there could be logical, physical reasons this particular 3 year old didn't want to wear his CI in that it might hurt, volume too high, etc. But no ........

Wirelessly posted

AlleyCat said:
Interestingly enough, if this thread had been titled "3 year old with HAs" rather than "cochlear" we would not have had our throats jumped down. All we were trying to do was point out that there could be logical, physical reasons this particular 3 year old didn't want to wear his CI in that it might hurt, volume too high, etc. But no ........

You are a generation too late..... if this was about hearing aids, they would done the same thing.

Wirelessly posted

You are a generation too late..... if this was about hearing aids, they would done the same thing.

No, I agree with you. I think you and I are of the same generation. Hence why I was talking about my earmolds, my HAs, and how some fittings, volume, etc. hurt !! :)

Wirelessly posted

AlleyCat said:
Wirelessly posted

No, I agree with you. I think you and I are of the same generation. Hence why I was talking about my earmolds, my HAs, and how some fittings, volume, etc. hurt !! :)

I mean, if cochlear implants weren't around.

Who here is advocating for inhumane treatment for anyone?

An earlier poster compared forcing a child to wear a CI they clearly do not want to keep on, to the "gift" their parents had given them of making them undergo a series of surgeries on their eyes to help them see, because now they have a "passion for reading."

Sure sounds like advocacy of the wrong sort to me.

Yes I do know this. Not the point.

Right, that's exactly what the people who actually know CIs were bringing up, but for some reason, several have taken those suggestions to check the program to be a case of "inhumane" treatment of all deaf, and an attack on their worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back