3 year old with cochears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

I'll just vomit everywhere.seriously.

That's just too bad. I have your best interests at heart, so just shut up and eat it!

Wirelessly posted

*hugs* but it's still no.

(have to admit that guilt trip does work...and I probably eat a few bites while gagging.. which btw I have ate onions for my parents but they couldn't make me eat more than one)

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

*hugs* but it's still no.

(have to admit that guilt trip does work...and I probably eat a few bites while gagging.. which btw I have ate onions for my parents but they couldn't make me eat more than one)

I understand. Child abuse is a gray area.

Wirelessly posted

These days, it's ok for a child to reject HAs but not CIs.

Back in my time, its usually not ok to reject HAs.

Wirelessly posted

These days, it's ok for a child to reject HAs but not CIs.

Back in my time, its usually not ok to reject HAs.

Tell me, where is the line? A child WILL pull his devices off, that is a fact. At some point, they will. 100% of kids do. Should parents say "Oh, there you go, I'm done", after that? No, that is ridiculous. My daughter pulled her aids out and threw them for less than one week. But at the time it was CONSTANT. She was 20 months old and had never had something in her ears before, so I am sure it felt weird. She tore them apart, because she could. She was curious. It was a HUGE hassle. It had me in tears. But, it was one week. Then she noticed she could hear better with them, and she left them alone. Should I have given up? Was she showing me that she hated them? No. They were new and different, so she needed time to adjust.

The same thing happened with her second CI. It sounded weird and she didn't like it. She didn't want to wear it. It didn't hurt, it just sounded different than she was used to. We checked the device, we knew the MAP was good, so, we insisted that she wear it. Less than a week later, she was asking for it. It has been 3 months now, and she refuses to only wear one. She says "I need two to hear."

Being a parent means having to make choices. If you choose an implant for your child, you need to make sure you are willing to do the follow up, and that includes making sure it is working well, and that they wear it.

Tell me, where is the line? A child WILL pull his devices off, that is a fact. At some point, they will. 100% of kids do. Should parents say "Oh, there you go, I'm done", after that? No, that is ridiculous. My daughter pulled her aids out and threw them for less than one week. But at the time it was CONSTANT. She was 20 months old and had never had something in her ears before, so I am sure it felt weird. She tore them apart, because she could. She was curious. It was a HUGE hassle. It had me in tears. But, it was one week. Then she noticed she could hear better with them, and she left them alone. Should I have given up? Was she showing me that she hated them? No. They were new and different, so she needed time to adjust.

Adjust? Or could it be "time to come with the terms that she is being forced to do something she doesnt want to do and learned to accept it"?

I just wonder.

Adjust? Or could it be "time to come with the terms that she is being forced to do something she doesnt want to do and learned to accept it"?

I just wonder.

She wasn't forced. She was old enough to understand, so we explained. We told her that it would only sound better if she wore it and got used to the sounds. That the more she listened, the better it would sound.

Unfortunately, not all kids are old enough to be reasoned with.

Also, if she was being forced, why does she now INSIST on wearing both?

I don't know why you were forced to wear a device.

But I don't believe that deaf people are wearing devices for the sake of the hearing, no.

I provide my child with baths. She often objects on principle, until she's in the bath and having fun. I provide her with vegetables, which she accepts only after bribery and cajoling. I insist that she go to bed at night and wear warm clothing in the snow, even though it's a pain in the neck to put it all on. I require her to attend school. I suppose you could argue that all parenting is oppression, in general.

"People don’t try to force the blind to see, even though the rest of the world can, they don’t try to force people in wheelchairs to walk, even though the rest of the world can. If your child was born with Down’s syndrome, you wouldn’t dream of putting them through cosmetic surgery so they would look more ‘normal.’ Why do we push hearing aids, speech therapy and lip reading on the deaf; so the deaf can seem normal?"

Forcing Ha's and implants is nothing like asking your kid to take a bath or mind their manners.

Last edited:
People don’t try to force the blind to see, even though the rest of the world can, they don’t try to force people in wheelchairs to walk, even though the rest of the world can. If your child was born with Down’s syndrome, you wouldn’t dream of putting them through cosmetic surgery so they would look more ‘normal.’ Why do we push hearing aids, speech therapy and lip reading on the deaf; so the deaf can seem normal?

Forcing Ha's and implants is nothing like asking your kid to take a bath or mind their manners.

You are actually quite wrong. There is vision therapy for the blind, and many blind children have eye surgeries. Children who walk on crutches and uses braces could very well be in wheelchairs if their parents chose that.

Not saying it is right, but it happens every day.

But in my case, I did not choose an implant for my child so she would fit it and "seem normal", I chose it because I wanted her to have options, including the option to listen and speak.

People don’t try to force the blind to see, even though the rest of the world can, they don’t try to force people in wheelchairs to walk, even though the rest of the world can. If your child was born with Down’s syndrome, you wouldn’t dream of putting them through cosmetic surgery so they would look more ‘normal.’ Why do we push hearing aids, speech therapy and lip reading on the deaf; so the deaf can seem normal?

I don't consider providing my child with baths, healthy food, or access to language (asl and english) by sending her far from home to a special school or by wearing a CI as "forcing." why do you call one an opportunity and one a "forced" option?

The same thing happened with her second CI. It sounded weird and she didn't like it. She didn't want to wear it. It didn't hurt, it just sounded different than she was used to. We checked the device, we knew the MAP was good, so, we insisted that she wear it. Less than a week later, she was asking for it. It has been 3 months now, and she refuses to only wear one. She says "I need two to hear."

Being a parent means having to make choices. If you choose an implant for your child, you need to make sure you are willing to do the follow up, and that includes making sure it is working well, and that they wear it.

So how did you make her wear it in the first place if she hated it?

I am not against encouraging kids to wear it, or bribe, or whatever get them to wear it at their own will... but If they refuse to wear it even MONTHS later -to the point that it is getting worst and not better- .. you tried everything... then what? My solution to this is give them a break, give them the alternative they need and have them wear it when they are ready instead of fighting them.

and why do you insist it is "irresponsible" if a parent discovered that they can't get CI to work out well? I only consider it is irresponsible if a parent insist going only one path only.

:rofl: Who told you that? Do you know what kind of nasty surgeries go along with my eye disease and many others?

So how did you make her wear it in the first place if she hated it?

I am not against encouraging kids to wear it, or bribe, or whatever get them to wear it at their own will... but If they refuse to wear it even MONTHS later -to the point that it is getting worst and not better- .. you tried everything... then what? My solution to this is give them a break, give them the alternative they need and have them wear it when they are ready instead of fighting them.

and why do you insist it is "irresponsible" if a parent discovered that they can't get CI to work out well? I only consider it is irresponsible if a parent insist going only one path only.

When she would take the hearing aids out, I would stop her, and put them back it. That's it. It was very short term, as it usually is, but in the moment, it felt like forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back