2nd implant

samantha kennel

Reaction score
my son has 1 implant and we are debating on the 2nd Dr. likes to wait 6months to a year apart. any parents out there going through this??? he has ha in other ear now, basically for sound location.he is doing great in av theropy and picking up so much.. insurance will pay for second .

I am sure the company that provided his implant will give you a few contact information of other parents who've been through this including the center. There's other forums out there that have more parents of CI kids than this forum could help. Hope it works out well.

samantha kennel said:
my son has 1 implant and we are debating on the 2nd Dr. likes to wait 6months to a year apart. any parents out there going through this??? he has ha in other ear now, basically for sound location.he is doing great in av theropy and picking up so much.. insurance will pay for second .

U can ask Cloggy about this on CI thread, his daughter has two CI implants. Good luck.

It wasn't good as well, if implant in one ear is good enough.

Mind me asking how old your son is? and since you said it's helping, that's great!

The benifit from a second implant can be really ambigious....like the only clear cut benifits from a second implant are: abilty to localize sound (I can't do this, and I have two hearing aids.....while it's annoying I've survived) and being able to function in noisy situtions (again, many dhh folks are lost in noisy situtions) I'd wait til your son is a little older, and then ask him if he wants another CI. He's doing really well with the first one, which is good......but since the second one's benifit is really ambigious, there's no harm in waiting a little.

deafdyke said:
The benifit from a second implant can be really ambigious....like the only clear cut benifits from a second implant are: abilty to localize sound (I can't do this, and I have two hearing aids.....while it's annoying I've survived) and being able to function in noisy situtions (again, many dhh folks are lost in noisy situtions) I'd wait til your son is a little older, and then ask him if he wants another CI. He's doing really well with the first one, which is good......but since the second one's benifit is really ambigious, there's no harm in waiting a little.

I have to ditto what DD said, I have a hard time justifying getting a second CI just for sound location. I never had it myself and I generally don't miss it one bit even with my CI. I can understand (maybe) getting another one to assist with hearing speech but I really believe having a second CI is best suited for seriously visually impaired folks. Just remember that a second CI will not give you the same bang for your buck (read insurance) in terms of benefits (which is why I'm not bothering with it).

That being said, each to their own and whatever choice you make is fine with me (not that you needed my approval anyway ;) )

Is the second ear currently getting adequate stimulation from a hearing aid? If so I would personally wait it out - maybe some better technology will come someday that he can take advantage of with that ear.

There aren't too many parents of CI kids here - it's not too hard to see why.

I'm confused here, Your son had his first implant, and?? what happened to the first one? And you're taking him again for his second implant? If he is doing well with his hearing aids, Why do you think he is needed for a second implant?

samantha kennel said:
the dr is right.. 6 month apart is recommended span. I saw one of the article that talk about that.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/520683/
A new study suggests that sequential bilateral cochlear implantation, or the placement of cochlear implants in both of a child’s ears through separate surgeries, has the potential to improve speech perception abilities in quiet and in noise.

psst: next time you start a thread regarding a cochlear implant please start it in proper place that is: "hearing aids and cochlear implants" section but not in "general chat" cheers!!

samantha kennel said:
and ask Cloggy. he has a daughter who is bilateral and has a thread about her at: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27616

It's looks weird to me... There's almost none to get 2nd CI in USA.

gnulinuxman said:
You just want everyone to be normal. :Owned:
I say... "Go for it". You read "You just want everyone to be normal"
Amazing! And what has ":Owned:" to do with it????

Are you saying being deaf is not normal????

Those are your words.. not mine.

Cloggy said:

You have been bought and paid for by the CI industry.

Cloggy said:

he changed his post.. eh...

Back