2006: Germany's Warmest Year in More than a Century

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
2006: Germany's Warmest Year in More than a Century

Cold, icy temperatures early in the year gave way to sweltering summer heat in 2006. It turned out to be Germany's warmest year since 1901, according to a report from the German weather service.

A hard winter, a wet spring, a blistering summer and a mild and sunny autumn -- it was a year that saw extremes in weather in Germany but also the warmest temperatures since 2006, according to a report released the German weather service on Friday.

In fact, temperatures were about 1.3 degrees Celsius (34 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than usual in Germany in the last days of the year over the same period last year, according to weather officials. In some regions of Germany, temperatures averages up to two degrees Celsius above average.

The unusual warm temperatures were not just evident in Germany. Worldwide, officials said that 2006 was the sixth warmest year on record.

Sunny, sunny days

The year began with icy temperatures but winter remained relatively dry. Spring saw rain and more rain. But summer, in a period reminiscent of a heat wave two years ago, brought with it two full months of heat and sunshine.

In August, things went back to normal with cool temperatures and rain. But soon after, records were broken again as September gave way to an autumn full of sunshine and mild temperatures, particularly in the northeast region of the country.

Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: There was more sunshine that usual throughout the year

Officials said the sun was a far more familiar presence in Germany than usual.

"Each region saw between 10 to 25 percent more sunshine," according to Meteomedia weather service. The sunniest place was Lindenberg in the far south of Germany which had 2,201 hours of sunshine this year. But most areas in Germany saw at least 1,780 hours of sunshine on average.

The hottest temperatures recorded in 2006 were in Bernburg an der Saale in eastern Germany on July 20 -- the mercury climbed to a sweltering 39 degrees Celsius (102.2 F). Meanwhile, on Jan. 12, Meteomedia reported temperatures of minus 38 degrees Celsius (-36.4 F) on the Funtensee lake in southern Bavaria.

It also rained less in 2006 in most regions of Germany, according to weather officials, except in the northern coastal regions.

2006: Germany's Warmest Year in More than a Century | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 29.12.2006

I feel odd to see my boys ride with their bicycle which normally they ride during Spring to Autumn... but Winter? We used Spring/Autumn jacket instead of Winter coat... No snow/icy I noticed that some buds flowers already grew in my garden... :ugh3:

I sat outside to have my lunch with my co-worker almost everyday... I feel it's really Spring, not Winter... Normally, I used dryer for Winter time after use wash machine but I hanged clothes outside last week... I don't use heaters anymore but use fire-places sometimes.

Perhaps the weather in Europe will become like Australia weather... :dunno2: I joked my family that we might have BBQ party to celebrate Xmas Day at our garden this garden... :giggle:

Anyway, I hope this weather won't be forever because I need to have 4 seasons a year...

mmmmmhhhh Oh Well!

Yeah, I noticed somethin' strange about weather around here. Some people think it was caused from El Nino. Some think it was caused from Global Warmin'.

Be aware of viruses/plagues/diseases that may cause people sick or die. I heard about the birds were droppin' dead in Austin, Texas and, now in Australia.

I believe it was change from global warming

Yeah, I noticed somethin' strange about weather around here. Some people think it was caused from El Nino. Some think it was caused from Global Warmin'.

Be aware of viruses/plagues/diseases that may cause people sick or die. I heard about the birds were droppin' dead in Austin, Texas and, now in Australia.

Avian Deaths in Australia Not Bird Flu....read on:
NEWS - SCIENCE - Comcast.net

Viruses does not cause by weather.. It causes by virus in the air that we breathe in with surrounding with people who has colds, flu, etc. I haven't had any cold or flu since I quit smoking 10 yrs ago. I had to smoke outside with others who had flu or cold and that's how I got sick. It's in the air that virus breeds, inside or outside.

Avian Deaths in Australia Not Bird Flu....read on:
NEWS - SCIENCE - Comcast.net

Viruses does not cause by weather.. It causes by virus in the air that we breathe in with surrounding with people who has colds, flu, etc. I haven't had any cold or flu since I quit smoking 10 yrs ago. I had to smoke outside with others who had flu or cold and that's how I got sick. It's in the air that virus breeds, inside or outside.

Mystery as hundreds of birds fall from sky in Australia

Thu Jan 11, 1:31 PM ET

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australian authorities are investigating the mysterious deaths of hundreds of birds that dropped from the sky over a small coastal town in a period of a few weeks.

Residents of Esperance in Western Australia found their suburban properties littered with the bodies of honeyeaters, wattle birds and yellow-throated miners, local media reported this week.

Michelle Crisp told the Australian newspaper she and her neighbour had counted 80 dead birds in one day. "It was like a moonscape, just horrible," she said.

"The loss of birds has been so noticeable people are saying 'We've just got no birds in the garden at all', or 'We're getting no dawn chorus,'" conservationist Graeme Hamilton told AFP Thursday.

Hamilton, chief executive of the country's main bird conservation group, Birds Australia, said he had never heard of bird deaths on the scale seen in Esperance.

"Certainly several hundred birds have been reported dead to the department of the environment but it may be up to several thousand as not every dead bird would have been reported."

He said the only possible explanations would be a sudden epidemic of disease or a natural or manmade toxic substance.

"No other animal groups seem to be affected, we're not turning up dead cats and dogs and marsupials," he said. "It's a mystery."

The states' department of food and agriculture has conducted autopsies on several birds.

"It doesn't appear to be an infectious cause. Certainly, one thing that is being considered is a toxin," said acting chief veterinary officer Fiona Sunderman.

"The birds are dying around sprinklers, water tanks, bird baths. They're seeking water and they're dying around those water points," said district nature conservation co-ordinator Mike Fitzgerald.

Esperance, surrounded by lakes, offshore islands and national parks, was renowned for its bird life.

Mystery as hundreds of birds fall from sky in Australia - Yahoo! News

That's what I am talkin' about. First in Austin, Texas and now in Sydney, Australia.

I felt still SPRING here....

Lovely weather out there ongoing.. but sometime snow arrived here but breeze isn't really COLD strange somethin'n odd!

btw isn't about blamed el nino caused it.. I believe it's possible related Global warming came increase slower grew..

Have you heard about Greenland and having cracked the ices breaks piece of lines... and discovered the new island..
and also Arctic (North) there same thing mostly break pieces of ices cracked too.

In my concern future, what might be happending 2040'ish and to see any changes Global warming increase higher alike "tropic".

Hi Liebling,

i agreed with you. For me got frist time about warm weather from here in Germany. Outside seem like spring, right now! we did expect, that it will getting snow here.. ups not coming... but i am afraid, maybe it outside will be very cold coming, soon!!! I dont want, i get sick or whatever shock for cold weather.

Seems the world has gone barmy about the weather!!
Copy and paste from my email here for you to read.

>
>
>> *AUSTRALIA appeared to be suffering an accelerated Greenhouse effect,
>>with the pace of global warming faster across the country than in other
>>parts of the world, climatologists said today.*
>>
>>The world's driest inhabited continent, already suffering one of its worst
>>droughts, was waging its own unique climate war, said Australia's Bureau
>>of
>>Meteorology yearly climate report.
>>
>>Half the country was desperate for water and the other half was awash with
>>a year's rainfall for the entire continent.
>>
>>"Most scientists agree this is part of an enhanced Greenhouse effect,"
>>bureau senior climatologist Neil Plummer said.
>>
>>"Temperatures are actually rising a little bit faster over Australia
>>compared to the global average, and we know that of Australia's 20 hottest
>>years, 15 have occurred since 1980".
>>
>>As the first cyclone of the summer bore down on Australia's northwest
>>coast, bringing more rain and potentially destructive winds, the report
>>revealed extraordinary climatic contrasts.
>>
>>Some areas experienced rare summer snow falls over Christmas to dampen
>>bushfires, even as the drought tightened its grip and major cities imposed
>>tough restrictions on water usage.
>>
>>While the nation received above average 2006 rains, with 490mm of rain
>>falling against the 472mm average, key water catchments and rivers
>>shrivelled in the food bowl southeast where most Australians live.
>>
>>"Rain fell, but just not in the most populated areas. Most Australians
>>would certainly have seen 2006 as a dry year," Mr Plummer said.
>>
>>Australia's average temperature for 2006 was 0.47C (116.6 fahrenheit) above the long-term
>>average, but it was only the eleventh warmest year since 1910, the bureau
>>report said.
>>
>>And despite record daily temperatures in the southeast, last year was
>>cooler than 2005 due to a very active tropical wet season early in the
>>year.
>>
>>
>>Mr Plummer said an El Nino weather event in the Pacific Ocean bringing
>>severe drought to eastern Australia was responsible for much of the
>>variation, but that was beginning to weaken.
>>
>>"What we see on the rainfall is a signature of El Nino. There are signs
>>that is weakening and most times we see a breakdown in late summer or
>>autumn, and usually a good break with lots of rain."

Liebling, Is Germany a member of the Kyoto treaty ? Also, you should rent the DVD called:

" An Inconvenient Truth "

An Inconvenient Truth

You should be able to buy the DVD online from the official website of the Inconvenient Truth, bu first check to see if they will send the DVD to Germany, That is if your local video rental store does not have the movie on DVD.

I felt still SPRING here....

Lovely weather out there ongoing.. but sometime snow arrived here but breeze isn't really COLD strange somethin'n odd!

btw isn't about blamed el nino caused it.. I believe it's possible related Global warming came increase slower grew..

Have you heard about Greenland and having cracked the ices breaks piece of lines... and discovered the new island..
and also Arctic (North) there same thing mostly break pieces of ices cracked too.

In my concern future, what might be happending 2040'ish and to see any changes Global warming increase higher alike "tropic
".

Yes I aware about this. It sound no good... :(

Hi Liebling,

i agreed with you. For me got frist time about warm weather from here in Germany. Outside seem like spring, right now! we did expect, that it will getting snow here.. ups not coming... but i am afraid, maybe it outside will be very cold coming, soon!!! I dont want, i get sick or whatever shock for cold weather.

Yes I aware about this... It´s no good... :(

Liebling, Is Germany a member of the Kyoto treaty ? Also, you should rent the DVD called:

" An Inconvenient Truth "

An Inconvenient Truth

You should be able to buy the DVD online from the official website of the Inconvenient Truth, bu first check to see if they will send the DVD to Germany, That is if your local video rental store does not have the movie on DVD.

Interesting, I have no idea either Germany is a member of the Kyoto Treaty... Thank you for information... I will find out...

This is to let you know " An Inconvenient Truth " is also in book too. I just picked up the book at the library off the " New Books " shelf and I am reading it at home, I am really enjoying the book and it is very educating too. Hopefully something positive happens with what Al Gore is trying to do for the environment around the world.

It's just the earth's normal weather cycle. Some areas (like Germany) are warmer this season, and some areas (like southern California and Texas) are colder. There's nothing that man (including Al Gore) can do about it.

I got an official email at hour ago today.
It written:

The German weather officials have put out warnings concerning a very severe
windstorm headed our way today. It is expected to hit our area sometime
between 1600 - 1800 hours with winds in excess of 80 kms per hour lasting
most of the night. Officials recommend that everyone stay at home and off
the roads.

We are closing all except essential Garrison activities/facilities at 1500
hours today. All employees, including child care workers at the XXXs and
XXX, are to go directly home and prepare their homes for the high winds.

It mean that we have to leave work one hour early (3pm) for go home to prepare those thunderstorm...

I called my hubby to put things from our garden away to our garage...

And other email at few minutes ago.

NOTICE TO COMMUNITY:

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING. FORCASTED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AND HIGH WINDS FROM 1500 TO 2400 HOURS TODAY. SUSTAINED WINDS UP TO 72 MPH (120 KPH) WITH GUSTS TO 90 MPH (150 KPH). SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO FORESTS AND ROOFTOPS AS WELL AS SOME LOCAL FLOODING MUST BE EXPECTED.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CLOSURES AND CHANGES:

All schools are on normal hours with no after school activities.

Teen Center is closed.

All Youth Sports and Youth after school programs are cancelled for today.

XXX and XXX will remain open until 1500 hours today.

Shuttle busses will cease operation at today at 1245.

All AAFES facilities will remain open during normal hours.

The Commissary (XXXX) will close at 1500 today.

All religious activities including Club Beyond are cancelled.

It look like that we will have severe thunderstorm what we had in 1990... :eek3:

My co-worker just told me what she heard from radio that thunderstorm/windstorm will be 160 KPH... ... I called my hubby again to make sure that he put things from our garden away to garage... It look like that I have to go home from work instead of go to Fitness Studio...

whoa...
hopefully not goes like this... just lowest kph than 160 kph..
cross finger for you 60 kph than 160 kph thunderstorm!

Warm? Are you kidding me? The entire West of the USA is in DEEP FREEZE. It has not hoovered above 20 degrees F in Salt Lake City since December, with average night minimum of 5 degrees. Even people are not going to the ski resorts because it is below zero up there and the snow is just frozen solid and not good for skiing. In the southern part of Utah, Saint George, it has been cold that the water fountains froze. St George is only an hour from Las Vegas, so that is normally a warm place but Las Vegas is freezing too. 3/4 of the orange farms in California are frozen and losing their orange crops. So, don't give me that global warming thing.

Warm? Are you kidding me? The entire West of the USA is in DEEP FREEZE. It has not hoovered above 20 degrees F in Salt Lake City since December, with average night minimum of 5 degrees. Even people are not going to the ski resorts because it is below zero up there and the snow is just frozen solid and not good for skiing. In the southern part of Utah, Saint George, it has been cold that the water fountains froze. St George is only an hour from Las Vegas, so that is normally a warm place but Las Vegas is freezing too. 3/4 of the orange farms in California are frozen and losing their orange crops. So, don't give me that global warming thing.

Strange weather climates in Germany & everywhere.

Thanks for bringing this up about SLC, Utah
ski slopes being frozen.
I agree that's not good for skiing.

Hmm, we are very concerned about the weather and safety
especially during the upcoming Deaf Olympics
Do you think that they probably will cancel
and postpone the event due to the weather and safety ?

Back