13-Year-Old Hearing Impaired Child Hit, Killed By Trash Truck

Nesmuth said:
Http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3402248/detail.html

This happened near my place. Its sad. I thought trash trucks had cameras on the back of them.

Richard

Ouch...yeah most garbage trucks don't have cameras on the rear....even here in Seattle don't either. The 13 year old should know better not to go behind of that truck, but it happens. It's rare to hear someone getting killed by a dump truck from behind.

Well, the boy from my school was killed by a truck years ago in Ohio. His death was shocked the school. He was a sweet kid.

If you read the story, it says "A 13-year-old on in-line skates and pushing a scooter was killed Wednesday when he ran into the back of a trash truck that was in reverse and rolled over the child's head, Placentia police said." The boy ran into the back of a trash truck!!!! So, you want to blame someone, it was the boy's fault, not the driver of the trash truck. Sad, I agree but what was the kid doing in that area of the truck's path in the first place? Seems his parents did not train the kid not to be in the area. Now, the fault should go to the parents, not the kid.

We are all for the blame game. Something Richard likes to do.

whilist its tragic blaming on people is not the way to go, accidents do happen doesn't matter who's fault it was it happened...

IMO the kid may have been at fault but it was indeed the truck's fault for not being extra precautious for ANY one, whats more the back up sounds that goes beep beep falls on deaf ears, IMO if ur gonna back up a truck that large someone has to be OUT of that truck for directions and if they see a kid coming weather deaf or not the person standing outside can tell the driver to stop this would be prevented! and none of the greif would have happened in northern california they have that two team truckers where one is outside to direct and the other inside cuz of the blind spots. due to So many deaf kids espeically at deaf schools or mainstreamed schools and local areas.

my heart goes out to the families of the lost son, and also to the driver who was severely tramuzited, none of this would have happened if there was more preventable ways to do this.

That's a sad thing to happen. :cry: Accidents do happen -- people are reckless and don't realise what mistakes they may make would cause, etc.

Neverask said:
If you read the story, it says "A 13-year-old on in-line skates and pushing a scooter was killed Wednesday when he ran into the back of a trash truck that was in reverse and rolled over the child's head, Placentia police said." The boy ran into the back of a trash truck!!!! So, you want to blame someone, it was the boy's fault, not the driver of the trash truck. Sad, I agree but what was the kid doing in that area of the truck's path in the first place? Seems his parents did not train the kid not to be in the area. Now, the fault should go to the parents, not the kid.

We are all for the blame game. Something Richard likes to do.
sounds like the kid commited sucide or something like that

I thought it was just more than just the driver to put garbage in the truck, garbage trucks around here have 3 or 4 people on each truck, 2 on back of the truck, and the driver. This would have been prevented if there was 2 people on back of the truck, looks like they didn't have that, just the driver.

Teekie said:
I thought it was just more than just the driver to put garbage in the truck, garbage trucks around here have 3 or 4 people on each truck, 2 on back of the truck, and the driver. This would have been prevented if there was 2 people on back of the truck, looks like they didn't have that, just the driver.
There are several different garbage trucks. One only needs to be done by one person. Those are the kind that back up, attach to a huge dumpster, then flip it over with a cable wire. The other kind also only needs to be run by one person. It's the one similar to a huge forklift and picks up the dumpster, then flips it over. The one you're probably referring to is the one that drives house-to-house and collects trash. Yes, those usually have at least 2 or 3 in the front and on the back. However, that is usually during the garbage run... not regular driving. I wonder what actually happened in this case. :dunno:

Do not need to blame anyone who is the fault. It's just happening.

I feel sad for his parents to lost their son. Very sad.

I don't believe it is anyone's fault, It was only an accident and things like this do happen but not quite often.....It sad that this 13 years old child died in the result of it....and it does help others to avoid accidents like this one....

VamPyroX said:
There are several different garbage trucks. One only needs to be done by one person. Those are the kind that back up, attach to a huge dumpster, then flip it over with a cable wire. The other kind also only needs to be run by one person. It's the one similar to a huge forklift and picks up the dumpster, then flips it over. The one you're probably referring to is the one that drives house-to-house and collects trash. Yes, those usually have at least 2 or 3 in the front and on the back. However, that is usually during the garbage run... not regular driving. I wonder what actually happened in this case. :dunno:
The garbage trucks that lifts with a forklift around here is accompanied with 2 people too. Even recycle trucks. All trucks around here for garbage or recycle is accompanied with 2 or 3 people plus the driver..even not on runs, just driving.. They should have had them there anyway with the driver, not just himself, for safety reasons since they do not have anything to watch the back if they backed up? I didn't see anything about them having mirrors on the back either, the trucks around here has mirrors on back in case with 2 or 3 people as a precaution even though there's people with the driver.

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
Poor this boy! :( My heart goes out to this innocent boy.. Rest In Peace...
What if this boy wasn't innoncent? I was watching this show on television recently. They said that there's this syndrome where kids would do anything to get their parents attention... even if it means getting run over by a car. When their parents don't do anything with them, they start causing problems and trouble in order to get their parents to attend to them. Sometimes, the parents are so calm that the kids just gets upset and runs out into the street on purpose knowing that if a car was coming, the parents would freak out and pay more attention. Sometimes, it goes far enough that the kid ends up getting run over? Of course, this was probably not the case... but anything could happen. :dunno:

VamPyroX said:
What if this boy wasn't innoncent? I was watching this show on television recently. They said that there's this syndrome where kids would do anything to get their parents attention... even if it means getting run over by a car. When their parents don't do anything with them, they start causing problems and trouble in order to get their parents to attend to them. Sometimes, the parents are so calm that the kids just gets upset and runs out into the street on purpose knowing that if a car was coming, the parents would freak out and pay more attention. Sometimes, it goes far enough that the kid ends up getting run over? Of course, this was probably not the case... but anything could happen. :dunno:
Thanks a lot... for putting words in my thoughts, caring for my boys. :ugh: I hope my boys won't do anything like that. :ugh:

Its sad but there is no blame really, it was just an unfortunate accident..i think he was just being a reckless kid that didnt think about dangers...its nothing new, it happens all the time. Condolenses to the kid's family.

Yeah, a unfortunate accident.. he probably was rushing to pick up his brother so he wouldn't be late, who knows?

Teekie said:
I thought it was just more than just the driver to put garbage in the truck, garbage trucks around here have 3 or 4 people on each truck, 2 on back of the truck, and the driver.

Yeah thats the old days here but scrooges have infiltrated city budget planners and the results are semi-robotic garbage disposal trucks that can do the work of three people to save money on labor costs.

Richard

Back