10 things you shouldn't say to a deaf person

'never mind'forget it'it no matter'...get that a lot ..sometime it gets me down other times it dont and occaionally it can cause big problems cos no one had patience to explain..when i first lost hearing after about two or so years i cry with frustration get depressed alto it can be frustrating for the other person i have come to realise now husband h/of/h and coincendetly my son lost some hearing in one ear due to constant infections they going try gromit he 30yr old man and a dr so it his choise

I never got that it was always "forget it" after their second attempt didn't work. My biggest pet peeves usually involved my mother: 1) talking to me from the other room like I could hear her - I'm 44 and she still does this, and 2) asking me in front of the person talking to me "Did you hear what she said? What did she just say." After several times telling her how she embarrassed the crap out of me she finally stopped.

Laura

My famliy would call me when I was upstairs in my bedroom with a my door closes , the door was a solid wood door, they yelled that they're going out for dinner And when I went downstairs a half hour later , no one was home! My famliy would come back and tell about the great meal I missed ! And they said they called me and I never came down stairs!! WTF! My mother did not go upstairs to tell me know they where going out! This happen a lot too . GRRR !! No one is my famliy got it !

My biggest pet peeve is when I made on the phone and I tell the person I am talking to that I am HOH and to talk slower and they will start YELLING at me!! Or I will tell a person I can't hear them and the person on the phone will
say to me "I can hear you just fine." Great , how the Hell is that going to help me??

Wirelessly posted

Alot of these I can agree with. Constantly people think just because I have a hearing aid I'm "cured"

Wirelessly posted

Alot of these I can agree with. Constantly people think just because I have a hearing aid I'm "cured"

When people tell I "hear good" I tell them "No, my HA helps me hear , I can't hear without it ." I think some people do not understand how HA working. I tell people that are in a room with me I can't hear them as I am on the phone. I try to tell the person I have to put my HA in mode to talk on the phone but they will still try to talk to me and get upset as I do not answer them.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Fuzzy - yup, I've asked them. What they mean is "I don't believe you are actually really hoh/deaf, I think you're trying to get off the hook for ignoring me talking to you!"

Yup - always nice for people to accuse you of lying & wearing a HA "for fun".

Really? what assholes. I would tell them.... you know what I would tell them :)
GFY :)

Fuzzy

My famliy would call me when I was upstairs in my bedroom with a my door closes , the door was a solid wood door, they yelled that they're going out for dinner And when I went downstairs a half hour later , no one was home! My famliy would come back and tell about the great meal I missed ! And they said they called me and I never came down stairs!! WTF! My mother did not go upstairs to tell me know they where going out! This happen a lot too . GRRR !! No one is my famliy got it !

Oh, come on, they are doing it on purpose. If they don't admit it, they are fu*king liars.

Fuzzy

When people tell I "hear good" I tell them "No, my HA helps me hear , I can't hear without it ." I think some people do not understand how HA working. I tell people that are in a room with me I can't hear them as I am on the phone. I try to tell the person I have to put my HA in mode to talk on the phone but they will still try to talk to me and get upset as I do not answer them.

Well, this however is another beast entirely.
A lot of people, doctors included, really does not get it. They just don't,
and some are decent about it some don't.
You act accordingly.

Some people, like with everything, come across deaf and HoH for the very first time, and are truly clueless - these should be forgiven, and explained to.

You need to distinguish who is who, is all.

Fuzzy

#2..Im'a good driver just b/c I dont talk while I drive AND do not play wit' da radio.. I usually try to wear my HA when Im drivin in small downtowns and in big cities so I could hear sirens. I cant hear sirens unless it's right by me. I can hear them maybe just down the street with my HA. HA doesnt cure deaf b/c tools break. :lol:

I've had couple of ugly poor uneducated hicks told me that I cant read... :roll: (They're just not happy with themselfs)

It hurts when ppl see your HA and you're ignored right away. Foo-kin audists..makes me wanna kick their fuckin asses all over the place. But Im very good ignorin them as well. :cool2:(they really dont like that!)

I've had ppl told me I talk well and I appreciate it b.c I worked hard for my good speech. :)

It hurts when ppl see your HA and you're ignored right away. Foo-kin audists..makes me wanna kick their fuckin asses all over the place. But Im very good ignorin them as well. :cool2:(they really dont like that!)

What's an "audist"?

I'm new here. Trying to figure out the deaf culture.

I was asked those question before, I usually downplayed or don't care. You guys are too touchy over little things.

What's an "audist"?

I'm new here. Trying to figure out the deaf culture.

It's not in the dictionary, YET...meanin prejudice against the deaf.. what we deal with is audism ... like racism..same! Ive dealt with audism all my life and that makes me very angry but what can I do about it..just too many audists in this world and I know God is angry as well. It's in the bible,ya know.

It's not in the dictionary, YET...meanin prejudice against the deaf.. what we deal with is audism ... like racism..same! Ive dealt with audism all my life and that makes me very angry but what can I do about it..just too many audists in this world and I know God is angry as well. It's in the bible,ya know.

Makes sense. Only, I don't agree that most hearing people's actions are as you may assume. Deafness and HOH presents many challenges for us and at the same time very unique differences to our modes of communication. To expect all hearing people to automatically know how to communicate with each of us is a bit near sighted.

It is what it is, try not to let it anger you and make the best of each situation.

Makes sense. Only, I don't agree that most hearing people's actions are as you may assume. Deafness and HOH presents many challenges for us and at the same time very unique differences to our modes of communication. To expect all hearing people to automatically know how to communicate with each of us is a bit near sighted.

It is what it is, try not to let it anger you and make the best of each situation.

Feel sure most of us deafies do try to make the best of situations....but you can only bite your tongue so many times....it bleeds, you know?

You can hear!

I worked as a stocker at a store for a while. Maybe 1 hour of my shift was when the store was open. One customer or freeloader had a bad slur and I couldn't understand him. He tells me I can hear him and he starts yelling the same question over and over. A department manger heard the guy yelling, went up to the guy and answered his question. The more the guy yelled the less I understood him. I still don't know he asked.

Feel sure most of us deafies do try to make the best of situations....but you can only bite your tongue so many times....it bleeds, you know?

exactly!

I do make the best of each sitation..thats all you can do :roll:

EDIT: Dont you hate when other people hang around with ppl that have more friends than you and do not stick up for ya b/c they would feel left out? Does anybody go tru this? Just curious..know what I mean? I mean, we're deaf and hearin ppl hear more and talk more..see the pattern here?

some ppl really understand what we deal with..they get it.. just a lot of idiots and bimbos are clueless and i feel bad for them

Last edited:
Hm. I think I'm guilty of #10... and glad a lot of you don't find that objectionable. Seriously, how is it different from telling someone their French is really good? I should be so lucky as to ever sign to the point where someone would compliment me on it...but about the best I can manage (from frequent practice) is 'I'm sorry, I'm really slow, my sign is very bad."

Which is still better than my French.

The #11th thing you shouldn't say to a deaf person

Wiki encyclopedia

On October 5, 2005, the first of three recipients was implanted with Cochlear's TIKI device, a totally implantable cochlear implant, in Melbourne, Australia.[13] This was part of a research project conducted by Cochlear Ltd and the University of Melbourne Department of Otolaryngology under the umbrella of CRC HEAR to be the first cochlear implant system capable of functioning for sustained periods with no external components. The system is capable of providing hearing via the TIKI device in stand-alone mode (invisible hearing) or via an external sound processor. Although these recipients continue to use their devices successfully today, it will be many years before a commercial product becomes available.

says who? Who wrote that - officially?

Totally Implantable CI in six months.

I think you missed my point. In other words, stop biting your tongue.

Apparently, you haven't been around as long as I. And you missed my point also. Whenever you become tired of the "nevermind"...."can't you read lips"?...."I don't know how to talk to you"...."can you read"?....the list goes on and on. And there have been many instances where I have bit my tongue in order not to lash back at a Hearie who is being very rude and ignorant. Especially when I had an eye exam last week, and the doctor refused to have an interpreter.....and was talking to me when the lights were very dim during the eye exam....and I said, "you will have to cut the lights on, I cannot see you".....and he replied, saractically...."can't you read lips"?.....Say what?....

Back