10 myths about introverts

It's interesting that the majority here see themselves this way. I can't help but wonder how much growing up in a hearing world with profound loss contributed to my being this way. Or perhaps it just compounded a trait that already existed.

I am on this site because my daughter is the one with a hearing loss (not myself)- so I can say without a doubt that my introversion is not due to that. But I can definitely see how many people here might be introverts (or exhibit these traits) because of the difficulties of communicating in a hearing world. You make a good point :).

It's interesting that the majority here see themselves this way. I can't help but wonder how much growing up in a hearing world with profound loss contributed to my being this way. Or perhaps it just compounded a trait that already existed.

The combination of this and the effort and focus it takes to understand what someone is saying is pretty formidable. Nothing like having someone repeat themselves once or twice only to find they had nothing to say anyway.

Today I had the perfect example... Went to breakfast at a little local diner. Yesterday my HA crapped out (perfect timing on a holiday weekend no less) so right now am fully deaf. Of course a cute waitress I've been flirting with was there on her off day (it's family run) and sat right next to me. I thought about explaining my current predicament, but didn't. So a perfect opportunity to chat her up was wasted because I just didn't want to deal with communication difficulty. /sigh/ Just kept it to a "hey what's up?" and that was it.

Don't mean to come across as a downer that's not like me at all. It feels better having vented a little though!

I was thinking right along the same lines. I think the communication barrier plays a big role for us.

I used to be extremely out going, social butterfly and talked to anyone, everyone all the time. My mom used to say I had diarrhea of the mouth, not so any more. Now I sound a lot more like an introvert. I think this is due more to circumstance than personality. At least for myself anyway.

I was thinking right along the same lines. I think the communication barrier plays a big role for us.

I used to be extremely out going, social butterfly and talked to anyone, everyone all the time. My mom used to say I had diarrhea of the mouth, not so any more. Now I sound a lot more like an introvert. I think this is due more to circumstance than personality. At least for myself anyway.

and....

Originally Posted by Stealth521 View Post

The combination of this and the effort and focus it takes to understand what someone is saying is pretty formidable. Nothing like having someone repeat themselves once or twice only to find they had nothing to say anyway.

Today I had the perfect example... Went to breakfast at a little local diner. Yesterday my HA crapped out (perfect timing on a holiday weekend no less) so right now am fully deaf. Of course a cute waitress I've been flirting with was there on her off day (it's family run) and sat right next to me. I thought about explaining my current predicament, but didn't. So a perfect opportunity to chat her up was wasted because I just didn't want to deal with communication difficulty. /sigh/ Just kept it to a "hey what's up?" and that was it.

Don't mean to come across as a downer that's not like me at all. It feels better having vented a little though!

i agree!

i wasn't shy when i was young, in retrospect i was naive and thought I was an 'equal' but as i got older the truths of life unfolds, and depression crept in my life, and i became an introvert...and I'd say a significant factor (I dont're really know How much in Percent wise or what but a big part anyway) because id 'rephrase, I do wonder how much growing up in a hearing world with profound loss have ...

contributed to conceal the real situation of growing up believing and how much (and the 'when' will be varied but not so much I suspect) of the naivey fades into jaded mistrust or that distanting of social interactivity became widening and thus the 'active mind' we were so trained into using, and becoming just wont go away, and to cope with the more isolation in adulthood becomes a way for some of us to cope, we turn into ourselves to avoid madness and more reflective, while the so call more mature adulthood around us which we were lead to believe (as youngsters) to have time for us to talk more deeply has faded away also , because A) they died away literally), B) similar aged cohorts too busy with own professional/family lives (to even reflect on their own!) and c) the world's is more selfish than even in the past, as we are more media-material driven than ever. People got shallow. Or a combination of all 3, (and more suggestion anyone?) ...

All has lead to shape my being this way

Back