1 Ohio school, 4 bullied teens dead by own hand

I am talking about punishments in general (for all kids - bullies or not). The bullies definitely should be seeing the shrinks.

I do remember seeing two boys in first or second grade). The bully was so sneaky that he pushed the victim not too hard when they are right behind the teacher. The victim retalitated by pushing him back. The bully "fall" against the chair, making so much noise. The teacher heard the noise and thought the victim was really the bully and punished him. The bully laughed at the victim. That was mean of him.

OIC. And yes, bullies should definately be in counseling. They have issues.

Yeah, that second paragraph is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

Part of the problem it the schools have a 'wait and see attitude' when it come to bullying. The adults think this is just kids being kids and as long as no one know get 'hurt' it ok. But the adults are forgetting you CAN'T see emotional abuse that easy and a child will not say anything as they the bullying will get worst. This is what the schools asre doing my city , they have 'zero tolerance' with bullying , but they are going a 'wait and see '
how bad it will get before it stopped! I say WTF ! I think the kids may had called me names in school but I could not hear them and did not react to it. And this was no fun to a bully, they want to see the kid cry ! I did not have any girl friends in grade, but the boys would play with once in awhile. The girls were meaning than the boys.
This horrible that more kids are dies from being bullied. Something need to be done.

I had a principal tell me once that my son needed to learn how to live with bullying, because since he had a handicap, someone was always going to be making fun of him. "That's just life" was his reason for not addressing the situation properly.

CPS sometimes helps children who are being harmed by an adult.
But, what happens when one child is being harmed by other children both mentally and physically? Nothing.

Federal laws should mandate that ALL public schools have a zero tolerance policy for bullies. If you are caught bullying it should be an automatic suspension and remediation of missed coursework along with counseling. It is not a corporal punishment, but it is a swift harsh punishment that it will take just once for them to learn. Bullying should never be tolerated in any shape or form. On the second offense the student should be placed in a boot camp were conformity is enforced on them and they are taught to respect to be respected. Usually one trip through boot camp is enough to reform even the worst offenders.

Sounds like a plan.

I had a principal tell me once that my son needed to learn how to live with bullying, because since he had a handicap, someone was always going to be making fun of him. "That's just life" was his reason for not addressing the situation properly.

I don't think that went well with you.

Part of the problem it the schools have a 'wait and see attitude' when it come to bullying. The adults think this is just kids being kids and as long as no one know get 'hurt' it ok. But the adults are forgetting you CAN'T see emotional abuse that easy and a child will not say anything as they the bullying will get worst. This is what the schools asre doing my city , they have 'zero tolerance' with bullying , but they are going a 'wait and see '
how bad it will get before it stopped! I say WTF ! I think the kids may had called me names in school but I could not hear them and did not react to it. And this was no fun to a bully, they want to see the kid cry ! I did not have any girl friends in grade, but the boys would play with once in awhile. The girls were meaning than the boys.
This horrible that more kids are dies from being bullied. Something need to be done.

The wait and see thing is exactly why I asked how this is going to be enforced.

What year did that happen? That is so horrible! What did you do , I would taken my child out of school . Some parents think it fine for sons to bully other kids the parents say their son are just doing what boys do, 'that boys will boys' what a load of CRAP! I thinks parents have to really demand the school do something and if school does not take action a large group of parents should protest the school polilty. Parents have to be more proactive in their kids schools today as a lot of schools have too many budget cuts to address bullying on their own. It school not be this way, but the schools are not going a very good job in keeping our kids safe.

The wait and see thing is exactly why I asked how this is going to be enforced.

I think the first time a kid hit a another kid or made fun of a child that bully need to be send home for the day. If that kids bully the same kid again , he need to be send home for a week , and if that does not work the parent better find another other school for their kid. The bully has to learn that the school does not belong to him or her to do as they pleases . The bully need to know they're not running the show. And while the bully is out of school for a week they should be seeing a case worker and see if there is anything going on at home that up setting the kid . Some kids will act out if they are being bullied or abused at home.

I think the first time a kid hit a another kid or made fun of a child that bully need to be send home for the day. If that kids bully the same kid again , he need to be send home for a week , and if that does not work the parent better find another other school for their kid. The bully has to learn that the school does not belong to him or her to do as they pleases . The bully need to know they're not running the show. And while the bully is out of school for a week they should be seeing a case worker and see if there is anything going on at home that up setting the kid . Some kids will act out if they are being bullied or abused at home.

That may very well be the case in a lot of schools but in my case my bullies came from well-to-do two parent homes. One of which was from a family that were extremely religious and went to church every time the doors were opened.

I think bullying is part mindset and one part mental problem, if that makes sense. Maybe Jillio can better explain.

As someone who's been at both ends of bullying, all I can say is I don't think bullying laws are effective. And zero tolerance kind of posses a problem because can everyone really be tolerated? Also as a lot of them are set up everything that falls short of being a complement is bullying. I mean you practically can't tell someone they are being annoying without it being bullying or that you are bullying others if you don't invite them to your party.

You can't force people to like each other and there will always be those with little or nothing that is likeable about them.

As someone who's been at both ends of bullying, all I can say is I don't think bullying laws are effective. And zero tolerance kind of posses a problem because can everyone really be tolerated? Also as a lot of them are set up everything that falls short of being a complement is bullying. I mean you practically can't tell someone they are being annoying without it being bullying or that you are bullying others if you don't invite them to your party.

You can't force people to like each other and there will always be those with little or nothing that is likeable about them.

One can tell someone that they are being annoying in an assertive way. Sometimes they will back off.

As for inviting someone to the party, that is really up to the host. The person who wasn't invited can take up a party and not invite the first person.

jillo.... do you think that a big part of bullying might be due to kids in really snobby not diverse suburbs?I really do think many parents of high school kids are still stuck in the "oh high school is the good ol' days, and any bullying is just mild. Kids are cruel" mode of thinking :roll:

jillo.... do you think that a big part of bullying might be due to kids in really snobby not diverse suburbs?I really do think many parents of high school kids are still stuck in the "oh high school is the good ol' days, and any bullying is just mild. Kids are cruel" mode of thinking :roll:

Some of it is the result of that, yes.

What year did that happen? That is so horrible! What did you do , I would taken my child out of school . Some parents think it fine for sons to bully other kids the parents say their son are just doing what boys do, 'that boys will boys' what a load of CRAP! I thinks parents have to really demand the school do something and if school does not take action a large group of parents should protest the school polilty. Parents have to be more proactive in their kids schools today as a lot of schools have too many budget cuts to address bullying on their own. It school not be this way, but the schools are not going a very good job in keeping our kids safe.

It was in the mid-nineties.

That may very well be the case in a lot of schools but in my case my bullies came from well-to-do two parent homes. One of which was from a family that were extremely religious and went to church every time the doors were opened.

I think bullying is part mindset and one part mental problem, if that makes sense. Maybe Jillio can better explain.

You hit the nail on the head. Bullying is the result, often times, of a particular mid-set. And it is also taught behavior. The kid learns it from the parent.

Often times, extremely religious people are very judgemental and intolerant of those who don't share their religious beliefs. Exposed to that judgemental mindset in the home gives permission to the child to use that mindset in dealing with others.

Back