Your opinion on Marlee Matlin?

CatoCooper13

Reaction score
I'm just curious about your opinions on Marlee Matlin and who have met her in person, etc? I don't really think much of her...sure, she did a fantastic job in the role of Sarah in 'Children of a Lesser God', but in real life, she was a complete bitch.
Although she may have matured over the years since she starred in 'Children of a Lesser God' and winning the Oscar...I still view her as quite immature.
Reason I said this is because a few months after she won the Oscar, she came to my school (California School for the Deaf in Fremont) for a speech and question/answers from all the students and staff faculty...she was very rude and acted childish on stage in the Little Theatre. She even ORDERED a teacher to sit down when that teacher stood up to ask a question (the teacher's tiny and quite slight for her height)!

After that -- I have thought of her in a negative light. I even saw her again nearly 6 years later in Los Angeles at a meeting I was attending. She completely ignored the deaf group that were there and stayed among the hearing group and didn't even bother to say hi nor sign.

That's my experience and opinion of Marlee. What's yours? Just curious....I was just shaking my head in disbelievement of how she treated people at CSDF and how she behaved, etc.

I thought she was interesting until I saw her for who she really was. Whenever they put her in movies or television shows, they portray her as a deaf woman. However, in reality... she's snobish like a hearing woman. She once went to a conference with a huge room full of people. She was on the stage giving her presentation or speech. Instead of signing, she talked orally and had two interpreters on both sides of her signing for her.

VamPyroX said:
I thought she was interesting until I saw her for who she really was. Whenever they put her in movies or television shows, they portray her as a deaf woman. However, in reality... she's snobish like a hearing woman. She once went to a conference with a huge room full of people. She was on the stage giving her presentation or speech. Instead of signing, she talked orally and had two interpreters on both sides of her signing for her.

That proves my point -- that is quite apparent that she has been distancing herself from the actual deaf community and is a big hypocrite. Just because she talks about being an advocate and supporter for the Deaf Community and trying to give her support wherever and whenever possible, but once she's in the deaf community, she's totally a different person. She acted like as if she was ashamed to be part of the deaf community and wanting to be 'hearing', you know? *smh*

i myself do not like Marlee Matlin -- granted yes shes done a great job on "Children of a Lesser God" -- but her attitude SUCKS in real life -- she also has come to MSSD back in uhmm 88 if i remmy right or 87 and talked abt the movie and blahhsie but gosh she came off as a SNOB! :roll:

ive met other ppl i knew from school or know from movies and they are alot better than Marlee combined! so therefore Marlee Matlin gets a :thumbd: from moi in the personality department

I just hope that one day soon, ShoShannah Stern will surpass Matlin and be much more of a success...AND she has a WONDERFUL personality as I know her personally from CSDF. ;) :thumb:

She's a lame!.. One time when she came over to minnesotah for speech, etc.. some deafies went to watch her speech.. mostly hearing went. Anyway Marlee saw some deafies in front row.. Did marlee sign ASL? NO!!! she didn't.. she just talk with her voice. how lame is that?????? She knows there's deafies sitting in front row and she didn't even SIGN a WORD! how RUDE SHE IS!!!!!!!!!

I worked with her for a short time....things didn't work out...she always left me out whenever she held a converstation with other hearings.

I left her project because of that.

I've heard a lot of negative comments on Marlee Matlin from those who have met her. But there was only one positive comment I know of- from this girl I knew. She met MM at some event at CSUN or some place else, she knew MM was snob and all but she decided to go up to her and asked her some questions, she replied back nicely in sign language. She was sort of surprised. That's all I know, Folks!

SilenceGold said:
I worked with her for a short time....things didn't work out...she always left me out whenever she held a converstation with other hearings.

:shock: dang i dont blamecha SG -- Marlee Matlin is definately a DISGRACE to the Deaf community end of story!

Marlee Matlin is downright SNOB to Deaf community. Her behavior does not impress me at all. Also, I am not interested in meeting her at all. I prefer to meet other important Deaf people like Christy Smith, for example.

MM :rl: Deaf Community (smiley with machine gun). She is DISGRACE and HYOCRITE to us!! :madfawk: MM

SilenceGold said:

Dayum...that is so unreal! That is just one other example of how she's been avoiding associating herself with the deaf community by distancing herself from it and interacting more with the hearing group. Grr! :madfawk:

altho i missed meeting her due to my illness, I heard SO MUCH crap from the CSDF sudents and waterrats meeting her personally, it goes to show MM has no respect FOR NO ONE. when she won the oscar for her award, MADE me MAD cuz she talked instead of sigining shows she was right from the start an ASS to begin with she gets a thumbs down completely :thumbd: :thumbd: and no stars either!

:smash: I proudly hail from the high school she has graduated from- I just see her as an alumi that has succeed and I do not care if she choose to shun the deaf world- I actually do not blame her for her choices. Its really annoying when deaf population has all of the expectations of how a fellow deaf person should act. So what if she's rude or snobbish- Theres lots of rude, snobbish people that also happen to be deaf. She just happens to be a famous deaf actor- deal with it.

Well I must say I am surprised. I've heard of her of course and she was good in "Children of a Lesser God", and other movies and she guest starred in ER a couple episodes. But I am surprised to hear of her attitude towards other deaf people. After all, she DOES sign and her role in those shows was a signing deaf person. So I cannot imagine why she would not want to sign, and I can only conclude that she might be unhappy at being deaf and doesn't want to be singled out as a deaf person or actor... if it's not that then her attitude is really bad.

I am really surprised that she was rude as well... just because she's famous doesn't give her the right to be rude. If I had met her, I would have treated her like any other deaf person who has achievements. I've met some deaf people and snobbish they may have been about their achievements, rude they have not been.

Cricket said:
:smash: I proudly hail from the high school she has graduated from- I just see her as an alumi that has succeed and I do not care if she choose to shun the deaf world- I actually do not blame her for her choices. Its really annoying when deaf population has all of the expectations of how a fellow deaf person should act. So what if she's rude or snobbish- Theres lots of rude, snobbish people that also happen to be deaf. She just happens to be a famous deaf actor- deal with it.

I'm not going to flame you or anything, but am just wondering why you don't care if Marlee has a lousy attitude...why? If she had graduated from MY school, I'd be embarrassed about her attitude and would try to explain it away, something like that.
If you find it annoying about the deaf world having its expectations of how a fellow deaf person should behave in the public...well, it sounds like you're not quite proud of being deaf yourself, is it?
I've met quite a number of well known celebrities and they've had much MUCH better attitudes than Marlee. They're supposed to be role models that people look up at. I know, it's the media that hypes things up and make things look worse for the person, I know no one's perfect. What Marlee has done, is no excuse. She knows better than what she has been doing and shunning the deaf community the way she has.
Sure I have met a number of deaf people who had really bad attitude and being rude, I'd just not associate myself with them at all.

That's just my 2 cents' worth.

For me??? No way! She is good at "GODS" but others.... I not think she is good as hearing person. I think she is brag that she is wonderful woman in the world... Me :sure: not think SO!!!!! I never want to watch of her movies anymore since I heard about her and etc... about her. FORGET IT. I not appreactice that.... :roll:

ShoShannah Stern
Is that the deaf prospect for the WNBA?
Did Marlee learn to speak first and then learn ASL later? I'm guessing yes, since she's abround 30 or 40. I've noticed actually that a LOT of Deafies who were raised orally and came to ASL late, tend to have psychlogical issues about ASlL vs. orallism. A lot of them still subconsciously believe that the oral route is supioer to ASL b/c they were fed all that shit about ASL being speshal needs growing up.
Maybe she hasn't quite come to terms with her deafness yet.

deafdyke said:
Is that the deaf prospect for the WNBA?
Did Marlee learn to speak first and then learn ASL later? I'm guessing yes, since she's abround 30 or 40. I've noticed actually that a LOT of Deafies who were raised orally and came to ASL late, tend to have psychlogical issues about ASlL vs. orallism. A lot of them still subconsciously believe that the oral route is supioer to ASL b/c they were fed all that shit about ASL being speshal needs growing up.
Maybe she hasn't quite come to terms with her deafness yet.

ShoShannah Stern's showing up in a new TV show that is supposed to start this coming fall in the Northern American region -- it's called, 'Threat Matrix'.

As for Marlee's inability to adapt and accept her deafness, it's possible that her behaviours stemmed from her anger and indecision of whether to totally accept the fact that she's DEAF for life.

Hopefully, Marlee Martin regrister at AD someday. Wait for her reach about our negative comments (worth lifetime!).

Actually, I don't like MM at all. She's bitchy at my friend (TexasSD alumnus) with wheelchair. How cold-heart she was!

Back