Why????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillys dad

Reaction score
Why do people who are strictly against cochlear implants come to the HA CI section to upset people? There are several sections of all deaf that I stay out of simply because I disagree with what is being said there. If some one hates CI, why do they feel welcomed to come to this section, make a whole bunch of negative biased, hateful and usually wrong comments about cochlear implants and leave? THAT IS CHICKEN SHIT!!!!!!!!!

Lillys Dad, There are three reasons.

1. Deaf Power

2. Deaf people think the medical doctors just want their money. Many Deaf people do live in extreme poverty conditions and this increases their anger and stress about it.

3. Acceptance, Because CI's are seen as not part of Deaf culture.

As for me, I am not so much of " Deaf Power " and I am more of a realistic person. I have been thinking of getting a CI myself ever since I got my BTE HA and I really would like to hear more sounds much more clear with the CI.

Please realize that Cochlear Implants have a very long road to go before they are actually accepted and is something normal and part of today's technology. I also think it did not help that in the late 1970's and early 1980's there were films being shown of cochlear implants being performed really close to the brain and that set off a firestorm in the Deaf community about the surgery itself. I think nobody questioned that Deaf people wanted to hear better but the surgery itself was too horrifying to see at that time so I can see where emotions got mixed up with logic.

That is my 2 cents and I think in the future, cochlear implants will be much more accepted as technology improves and the key here is keeping the medical cost down. A BTE hearing aid costs just $600. to maybe $800. and with no surgery needed. If you want a really good top of the line BTE then it will be $ 2 or $3,000. tops. Cochlear Implants run in the $10,000. - $50,000. price range so you can see why many Deaf people are very upset. Just too many factors going into this.

Lilly's Dad, don't worry, there are always spoil-sports abound, no matter where you go. Just hold your head up and know that you have done the best you can for your child, and done so by gaining the most information from all sources available prior to making such a huge decision. Also, keep in mind that some of us here are dealing with other emotional issues and to attack something else may help ease other pains in their lives, so it is nothing personal, really.

Heath and Eve, I understand why some are anti CI. That is not the issue. The issue is that, because they are anti CI, they feel justified in coming into an area specifically designed for CI and HA and making nasty remarks, without provocation, debate or any other action which may provoke an attack like that. And yes, I do feel they are unwarranted attacks. Telling someone they are an unfit or horrible parent because they subjected their child to a medical procedure for the benifit of the child is a flat out attack.
I do not care if people agree wtih me/our decisions. I do care however about these reoccurring drive by character attacks.
AS far as holding my head up....... Um, sorry, I will hold my head up because I KNOW that I am doing what is right for my child. While I can agree with turning the other cheeck, there is a limit to that philosophy. After being spit on enough, you will eventually start to fight back. I am sick anf tired of these ignorant, uniformed, biased opinionated assholes makiing all of these accusations agaisnt us.
IF YOU ARE AGAINST COCHLEAR IMPLANTS, WHY DO YOU COME HERE??? IF YOU HATE THEM SO MUCH, THEN DONT GO INTO THE CI SECTION OF ALL DEAF. TAKE YOUR OPINIONS ELSEWHERE. If there is an actual debate about CI, fine speak your opinion in an informed manner. Do not toss a handgrenade into a ci discussion that has nothing to do with your opinions.

I haven't seen the remarks you are talking about but people who write such posts nearly always feel threatened and scared to the point where they feel they have to lash out at others who have chosen a different path to them. I think someone on here called this phenomenon "crabs in the bucket" where the crabs below seek to pull the ones (they perceive) on top down with them. I think this is so true in cultures where there is a perception that it's under attack.

I think they deserve our pity and the help of a therapist. Hopefully they can learn to take pride in themselves and their own identity to the point that it doesn't bother them if another deaf person takes a different route but who are welcoming. I think they will find that adopting a positive attitude will strengthen culture, not destroy it.

I think I know maybe one of the many reasons why and can understand from their point of view even though it is wrong of them to make degrading remarks. I work all day with children and I am around the CI controversy. I am not gonna go into details what I see and deal with about this issue but I can tell u this. So many people are scared about the future...if deaf schools start shutting down due to lack of enrollement cuz parents choose to put their children in mainstreamed programs, lots of jobs will be lost. Many of us love what we do and to lose our jobs will be heartbreaking and there are many people that really are not comfortable working in an environment where communication is a barrier or opportunities are limited. I have seen so many anger from so many people about the CI issue at my work and the fears of losing their jobs and losing the connection with deaf children. We all love working with deaf children and if they are spread all over in public schools, it just wont be the same.

That is one of the many reasons I can think of why people are angry and do this kind of behavior. I have VERY mixed feelings about CIs in children..some biased but I try to keep my personal feelings out and have an open mind. It is a struggle cuz of course I dont want to lose my job cuz as a deaf person myself, I cant meet the auditory needs of the children with CIs and if the parents dont support ASL so yes, I am a little worried about my future as a teacher. The same time, I keep an open mind and would not attack anyone for making the decision to get the implant for themselves or for their children.

Again, I really cant speak for everyone but that is one of the many reasons I can think of. I see so much anger about CIs out there and it isnt pretty.

Once again R2, good point. I was just discussing this with another member via PM, when I had a thought.

Before I say this, please remember that this example is just a theoretical example. NOTHING MORE.

What would happen to me as a member of Alldeaf if I went into the gay/lesbian area of this message board and began telling people they were horrible humans, immoral and so on, because of the fact they were gay or lesbian? I would bet you I would be banned in a heart beat (rightfully so). With that said, why is it that people feel free to come into the CI section of this message board and bash us at will for the decisions we made? When we complain about these people we are told that they are to be ignored, or tolerated. If I did the same in the gay section, would people tell you to ignore me when I made my horrible statements? I doubt it!
So why is it that those that come here and torment us fopr the choices we make continue to get a free pass?

I am very proud of being deaf. My parent never make me get CI. My parent love who am I. They never get any embrass that they sign in public. We sign in public. My husband is hearing. We are married for 10 years. He accept who am I. He never let my deaf bother him. I never let his hearing bother me. I feel very sorry for any children who have ci because they don't know who are they. they will be cunfused about being deaf or hearing. I used work at school and I had chat with deaf children and taught them about deaf people can do anything. Their teachers loved me and asked me to come often. Now School don't need me anymore because of new deaf children already have CI. It upset me because I missed work with deaf children. I don't against CI but I feel that CI is trying make deaf world end. I support that deaf world should be very strong and show hearing people that we can do anything if we don't have CI. CI don't help us for futrue. It is my opinion.

I am very proud of being deaf. My parent never make me get CI. My parent love who am I. They never get any embrass that they sign in public. We sign in public. My husband is hearing. We are married for 10 years. He accept who am I. He never let my deaf bother him. I never let his hearing bother me. I feel very sorry for any children who have ci because they don't know who are they. they will be cunfused about being deaf or hearing. I used work at school and I had chat with deaf children and taught them about deaf people can do anything. Their teachers loved me and asked me to come often. Now School don't need me anymore because of new deaf children already have CI. It upset me because I missed work with deaf children. I don't against CI but I feel that CI is trying make deaf world end. I support that deaf world should be very strong and show hearing people that we can do anything if we don't have CI. CI don't help us for futrue. It is my opinion.

Hmm, I see you joined AD almost a year ago like me and it is the first time I've seen you on the HA/CI thread. It's good how you are happy being deaf and that your family love you and accept you.
As a matter of fact, I am first generation deaf and our grandson is getting his second implant in about two weeks from now. I was very anti-CI up to less than a year ago when I first joined AD due to our deaf son sending me the link. I love my deaf son very much and want to be supportive of his and his hoh wife's decision to have their son implanted which is why I came on here to learn as much as I can and I am glad I did -- there are a LOT of wonderful hearing parents on here whose FIRST deaf person to meet are their OWN children. I accept CIs in children and I have seen on the HA/CI threads of successes of implanting children. These hearing parents have done their homework and they have tried EVERYthing and checked EVERYthing about CIs. They are NOT "jumping into" implanting their children.
I urge you to keep back any of your biased opinions until you open up your mind and read everything and ponder carefully on what's written on here. I am VERY supportive of CIs and not ashamed of it.
Just please do not come on here to blast at those parents. It is a wonderful support system and I enjoy participating in these threads and I don't appreciate those that come on here negatively. In other words, if you don't agree on CIs, then please don't post on here. There are other threads that you will probably be more interested in.
I understand that you are not needed to work with deaf children at that school but there may be other places where you can work at?

Once again R2, good point. I was just discussing this with another member via PM, when I had a thought.

Before I say this, please remember that this example is just a theoretical example. NOTHING MORE.

What would happen to me as a member of Alldeaf if I went into the gay/lesbian area of this message board and began telling people they were horrible humans, immoral and so on, because of the fact they were gay or lesbian? I would bet you I would be banned in a heart beat (rightfully so). With that said, why is it that people feel free to come into the CI section of this message board and bash us at will for the decisions we made? When we complain about these people we are told that they are to be ignored, or tolerated. If I did the same in the gay section, would people tell you to ignore me when I made my horrible statements? I doubt it!
So why is it that those that come here and torment us fopr the choices we make continue to get a free pass?

(to steal from Fragmenter) -- QFT!!!!! (if there is only a Yosemite Sam with guns firing for a smilie! LOL) Well, I'll try this one -- :rl:

I understand everyone has their opinion. But when it's not asked for, don't give it! People think hearing parents make the decision to implant their child because they are lazy to learn sign, or that they are embarrassed. It has nothing to do with that. Decisions have been made and to hear that you are disgusted by a child with CI is just not right. Every family makes the decision that is right for THEIR family. It may not be the same decision for everyone, but it's their right to make it. Personally, if my daughter grew up signing and not speaking or hearing, do you think she would feel left out in my entire hearing family? Think about family reunions... she would sign with me, my husband and her brother. That's about it. Should I expect my entire extended family to learn sign. No. I think sign is great, I am learning and teaching my daughter. She is doing well with it and I hope she keeps it up. That doesn't change my decision to get her implanted.

I understand everyone has their opinion. But when it's not asked for, don't give it! People think hearing parents make the decision to implant their child because they are lazy to learn sign, or that they are embarrassed. It has nothing to do with that. Decisions have been made and to hear that you are disgusted by a child with CI is just not right. Every family makes the decision that is right for THEIR family. It may not be the same decision for everyone, but it's their right to make it.

:gpost: :applause:

This particular board is called "Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants" -- not "Hearing Aids and people-opposed-to-cochlear-implants."

If you're anti-CI and want to rant about CIs and why adults or children shouldn't receive them, ask the moderators to create your own "anti-CI" board and leave us alone. :pissed:

There. I feel better now. :)

This particular board is called "Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants" -- not "Hearing Aids and people-opposed-to-cochlear-implants."

If you're anti-CI and want to rant about CIs and why adults or children shouldn't receive them, ask the moderators to create your own "anti-CI" board and leave us alone. :pissed:

Thanks. Good idea you had. If they have their own section, they can complain all they want to each other.

:beer:

Should I take the white glove off and start bitchslapping idiots with it?

This is why I don't care to come and visit AD anymore. Moderators needs to get on top of this and get this under control. This should not be a one-way street where losers are allowed to fling turd at easy targets and get away unscathed.

I won't be visiting AD much until the big wigs takes those blatant offenses seriously. I could have been really vile towards those losers but I'm sane enough to keep it to myself... unlike them.

This is for the anti-hearing losers at AD: YOU CAN KISS MY SWEET :booty:

My deaf children are going to hear and speak to the best of their abilities regardless of your lame opinions.

:beer:

Should I take the white glove off and start bitchslapping idiots with it?

This is why I don't care to come and visit AD anymore. Moderators needs to get on top of this and get this under control. This should not be a one-way street where losers are allowed to fling turd at easy targets and get away unscathed.

I won't be visiting AD much until the big wigs takes those blatant offenses seriously. I could have been really vile towards those losers but I'm sane enough to keep it to myself... unlike them.

This is for the anti-hearing losers at AD: YOU CAN KISS MY SWEET :booty:

My deaf children are going to hear and speak to the best of their abilities regardless of your lame opinions.

Hey son! Don't blame you for not liking it on here but we sure can use having you on here to help defend those other parents!

Good rant! Hope you feel better now! :giggle:

(hopefully Fragmenter will post on here more often -- he is my son, LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back