Why????

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't mind people who are opposed to CIs posting here, we just don't like our decision to receive a CI for ourselves or our child attacked by those who do not agree with implantation.

When an adult or child has been deemed a CI candidate, HAs are of little or no benefit. That's probably the reason why you don't see many of us discussing HAs.

I can understand that the CI is the most popular topic here than the HAs. The CI have better technology and to be able to help HoH and Deaf people to hear better. HAs are basically just going out of style really. But most of them don't even wear HAs, some do. Its just that fact that they are offended because that's the way you were born with or became ill with. Just something that alot of us has accepted. That's why there are alot of angry members here. Like I said, I'm not for it but I'm alright for those who has it.

See now you have your opinion, but it doesn't sound bad because you are saying it in a respectful way. I totally understand how people can disagree with implants on children, but it all comes down to how you say something. Flat out telling someone you get nauseous at the sight of their child, is just wrong. I respect the opinions on this site... most of the people have more right to be here than I do. I am not deaf, but as a parent I am trying to gain knowledge and that is why I am here. Not to see bashing of anyone.

see the dark bold up here.. I never said that. NEVER. You have every right to be here as well. You are entitled to speak of your opinion at anytime.
I'm not here to sound mean or anything. I know you might be hurting after what they said. I apologize for that. but I don't feel that there should be an apology for those who have strong opinions about it. I certainly do hope that your daughter will succeed in being able to hear well. I really do.

You obviously missed what I was getting at....you said that this is ALLDEAF...and again I will reiterate that it means the forum is open to ALL deaf, not just the ci-haters among us. We are all welcome to our opinions but we have to be respectful in the way we communicate those opinions. And so far, I haven't seen that from you.

I had two posts in this thread and I dont know what happened to them. I will start again..

I can think of few of the many reasons why there are so much anger and resentment about CIs but I agree that it is wrong for anyone to come in and bash anyone directly.

Since I work with deaf children, the CI issue has been debated at my work and I do see a lot of anger and fear from people. I wont go into the details but if 90% of deaf babies are being implanted and the parents decide to put their child into the mainstreaming programs at their home school, then it means the closings of the deaf schools due to low enrollment and as a result, many jobs will be lost. As GHSH1996 stated..the school no longer needed her due to the children having CIs. Of course, that will harbor some bitterness from deaf staff due to our inability to meet the auditory needs of the children. As a teacher who is deaf myself, I am VERY worried about my future as a teacher for the deaf. If my school closes, I lose my job. I went to school and work hard to get where I am at..at a job that I am passionate about and look forward to going everyday. Many of the staff at my work are dedicated to their jobs and have a connection with the students there so if my school closes, the students will be all spread out going to their home schools so it wont be the same. Also, many people are wary of working in an environment with communication barriers and limited opportunities. For many deaf staff, they view it as hearing people taking away career opportunities and giving those opportunities to hearing people who are able to meet the auditory needs of the children with CIs. I know some of u in AD believe in ASL and having deaf adults as role models but trust me..what I see out there with the other parents..it is all about making their child as hearing as normal and it is a very large percentage so that will have a big impact on our school's future.

Myself, I have VERY mixed feelings about CIs. ....the biased and selfish part of me dont like them cuz they put my future as a deaf educator at a GREAT risk but another and more reasonable part of me keeps an open mind and see from everyone's point of view.

On the other hand, we see many older children come to our school who have CIs but have been unable to benefit from them and as a result, they fall behind academically or their language is delayed because during the first part of their lives, much focus was put on speech and listening skills and they never learned ASL. When they arrived at our school, their congnitive skills are so delayed making it very difficult for them to catch up and it breaks our heart to see them suffer for life due to not having a full access to language while they were still very young. Of course, that will fuel the bitter and angry feelings about CIs from many deaf people.

I will be honest about what I see out there and about my feelings about this whole issue. I will never bash anyone for the decisions to make and will always try to keep an open mind but sometimes it can be difficult to keep those bitter feelings at bay. Like I said, I am on the fence about it. I am not against CIs or using them as a tool for the deaf children to learn to speak and communicate with hearing people but I do think it would be wonderful if they also learn ASL too just in case the children dont process the spoken language 100%. I am tired of seeing many deaf children with low reading and writing levels due to not getting a full access to language in the first 5 years of their lives. Also, I am tired of people putting the blame on us teachers and the deaf schools. I used to think the state schools were lousy but now that I work for one..I really got to see the whole picture and all the complexities of deaf education. There are good people working in the state schools who really are passionate about working with deaf children and I would hate to see that disappear.

I agree with many ADers..this is a forum and it is open for different opinions. From what I read, I dont think GHSH1996 is bashing anyone..just expressing her opinions.

Again, this post is not about bashing anyone but just to explain a couple of reasons for the anger and bitterness about CIs. U dont have to agree with me or whatever.

see the dark bold up here.. I never said that. NEVER. You have every right to be here as well. You are entitled to speak of your opinion at anytime.
I'm not here to sound mean or anything. I know you might be hurting after what they said. I apologize for that. but I don't feel that there should be an apology for those who have strong opinions about it. I certainly do hope that your daughter will succeed in being able to hear well. I really do.

You did not say that!! I am sorry if it looked like I stated you said it, another member said it. It wasn't even to me, but I saw it.

Thanks. I know she will succeed in whatever she does, with or without the implant! I will make sure of that.

I share in Victoria's mom's sentiments when she said "Flat out telling someone you get nauseous at the sight of their child, is just wrong." I know who she was directing this statement at, and it was not you, RebelGirl. And no one ever accused you of being the one who made that statement.

Unfortunetly not everyone saw the statement Eve and I are speaking about. It was removed pretty fast because it did not belong in the thread it was in. It was such an uncalled for statement, in the middle of a pretty funny thread.

You obviously missed what I was getting at....you said that this is ALLDEAF...and again I will reiterate that it means the forum is open to ALL deaf, not just the ci-haters among us. We are all welcome to our opinions but we have to be respectful in the way we communicate those opinions. And so far, I haven't seen that from you.
You haven't seen that coming from me? Obviously you haven't paid attention, hon. I'm truely respectful to others but coming from you.. I think not.. especially with your words "jumping to the conclusion" in several threads is a TOTAL TURN OFF. but that's okay.. I don't give a damn what you think of me. But the truth is, hon.. I have alot of respect for members here. But you've got the attitude of "mrs.-know-it-all and you've got the answer to everything" well, that's where you're asking for trouble.. but yeah there are quite a few that can take a stand on your side.. so what? good for them. I'm here only to speak of what I want to say whether you like it or not. but in the last 2 years, this is the first I have been disrespectful to you in an open forum and it has gone too far.

Also.. you didn't get what I said about CIs. for all you care is you're just making so damn sure WE don't drag you down so you keep on. So, Keep going and fight all you want but its not going to change my mind. You defend your own friends and disrespect others as well.. so we're even. :bye:

You did not say that!! I am sorry if it looked like I stated you said it, another member said it. It wasn't even to me, but I saw it.

Thanks. I know she will succeed in whatever she does, with or without the implant! I will make sure of that.
That's alright.. I just wanted you to be sure you know I didn't say it.

Eve said:
We are all welcome to our opinions but we have to be respectful in the way we communicate those opinions. And so far, I haven't seen that from you.

And I haven't seen that coming from you either Eve, take a look at your lock up thread dear..

Now, I finally got what everyone is saying. I saw Kalista's locked thread. Now, all the pieces to this puzzle fits. Oh boy.

Forgive me for the off topic here but Victorias mom I just noticed your avatar of your daughter, she is soooo cute....

Oh yes - Victoria is supercute isn't she?

And Shel90's little boy running on the beach is so adorable as well.

Since I work with deaf children, the CI issue has been debated at my work and I do see a lot of anger and fear from people. I wont go into the details but if 90% of deaf babies are being implanted and the parents decide to put their child into the mainstreaming programs at their home school, then it means the closings of the deaf schools due to low enrollment and as a result, many jobs will be lost.
Well, there could be some element of truth in what you say; Still, I don't think the CI is primarily responsible for the diminishing returns currently being experienced at state-supported Deaf schools everywhere.

By far, and the #1 reason why Deaf schools' enrollment #'s are declining, is simply because of better advances in medicine. This factor alone, I'm guessing, has reduced the overall incidence of Deafness by more than 50%. And BTW, this is a good thing; I would never wish for more Deaf people to be born, nor wish Deafness upon anyone else.

Couple that phenomenon with the increasing trend towards mainstreaming, and you pretty much have a lethal tide, which pretty much has eroded state-sponsored Deaf schools' 'beachheads'. (Ok, I'm going overboard with analogies here!) Maybe with further advances in the CI technology, increasing Cued English usage, etc., all could very well be the final nail in shuttering Deaf schools all over. (If the medical community ever perfects stem cell technologies in curing Deafness, all bets are off!)

Like you, I pretty much have ambivalent feelings about this; I want ASL to continue, and have Deaf culture alive and vibrant well into my old age. Time will tell, and markedly illustrates how we need to truly appreciate what we have now, and enjoy life being a Deaf person immersed in Deaf culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back