When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

I know Cloggy!

My mom always said I have choice how to raise you - one to be handicapped or two to use your ability not your disability.

One thing you and jillio have agreed on is you both are/have raised your children not to be handicapped. You might not agree on the ways to raise your children, but each parent is different. So hats off to the two of you for not looking at your children's disability as an inability.

:ty: vallee.

What about you, Cloggy ? When you expect a child, would YOU want this child to be deaf ?
Have a look at the first posts of this thread.... (march 2006)..... there's the answer...

no matter for me if i have baby one days and whatever which deaf or hearing of our children its god's choice and im sure i wanted nurse or doctors check-up on baby if deaf or not!

One does not "sit at home" while collecting SSI. If you will see the explanations provided elsewhere in this forum, unless you are a child who receives SSI payments through age 18, then you must either be a full time student or training for a job, or be employed at least part time while looking for full time employment. SSI is temporary assistance.

You are correct about "Sit at home", but as for rest of other things that you said and I'm over 18 and will be 32 next Saturday and I have never receive any assistance from SSI. I work my first job at age 20 at family business for 4years, then at age 24 I work at nursing home for 6 years. My last job was temporary agency for short time 6 months, then I quit to go back school to get my GED.

I only receive is tax-free settlement from the hospital that my mom sued for malpractice when I was 2 1/2 years old when they misdiagnosed me for something else. So that is set to pay me for life. I do not receive SSI, SSDI, SSA, Medicare or Food Stamps.

I know few friends who stated "I would rather to sit home and collect from government." That's how they said it like that and I told them that it won't last them that long. Unless you go out and get part time job working somewhere, and the sad part is that they can't be hired is because NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED. I know few of them just spend their WHOLE SSI check in ONE DAY! and what else can they live off on??

I apologize that I misquoted on "Sit at Home" comment. :confused:

You are correct about "Sit at home", but as for rest of other things that you said and I'm over 18 and will be 32 next Saturday and I have never receive any assistance from SSI. I work my first job at age 20 at family business for 4years, then at age 24 I work at nursing home for 6 years. My last job was temporary agency for short time 6 months, then I quit to go back school to get my GED.

I only receive is tax-free settlement from the hospital that my mom sued for malpractice when I was 2 1/2 years old when they misdiagnosed me for something else. So that is set to pay me for life. I do not receive SSI, SSDI, SSA, Medicare or Food Stamps.

I know few friends who stated "I would rather to sit home and collect from government." That's how they said it like that and I told them that it won't last them that long. Unless you go out and get part time job working somewhere, and the sad part is that they can't be hired is because NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED. I know few of them just spend their WHOLE SSI check in ONE DAY! and what else can they live off on??

I apologize that I misquoted on "Sit at Home" comment. :confused:

There is no need to aplogize. I didn't mean to pick on you. I just get tired of the attitude that the other poster had presented saying that all deaf peole live off of government assistance and don't work. I was only pointing out that SSI and SSDI are not as easy to get as some people think they are. And that not all deaf people get any kind of government assistance.....just like you: you work to earn your money. Sorry that it sounded like I was picking on you.

No,
what Lantana ment was that when a d/Deaf person says that deafness is not a disability, that he/she is not disabled, then he/she should not use the SSI/SSDI system.

Cloggy, I agree with u on that statement. However, I was responding to Latanta's comment (see below)

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. '

She said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense. That is a lie right there.

Cloggy, I agree with u on that statement. However, I was responding to Latanta's comment (see below)

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. '

She said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense. That is a lie right there.

And a stereotypical judgement.

Wow you really got me on that one. I see my hearing loss as a disability. I don't think of myself as disabled.

I have a skill, I have a degree, I do have a career. I guess that empowers me. I also am independent. I felt this way with HA and I feel more so with my CIs.

I concur with your statement. I don't think of myself as disabled, but my hearing. Although I know there are many people out there who see us as disabled even though, we do not see it that way ourselves.

Good post. :)

I concur with your statement. I don't think of myself as disabled, but my hearing. Although I know there are many people out there who see us as disabled even though, we do not see it that way ourselves.
Good post. :)

Thank you. Oh, I see these people everyday. I feel sorry for them that they can't take time to see past the "ears." They can learn so much from us deaf/HOH and our families. But these are the same people who judge any disability as a handicap. The problem is these people are know just the "trash" of society, some are the educated and in positions of power.

Thank you. Oh, I see these people everyday. I feel sorry for them that they can't take time to see past the "ears." They can learn so much from us deaf/HOH and our families. But these are the same people who judge any disability as a handicap. The problem is these people are know just the "trash" of society, some are the educated and in positions of power.

That, unfortunately, is very true and very frightening, as their practices perpetuate the myths.

Of course, I would love a deaf child. However, it that child was hearing i'd love him or her just the same as a deaf child.

Back