What to expect when taking a vacation oversea?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a trip oversea in Oct, What I want to know what should I expect or need to do when traveling alone? This is my first vacation out of the United States beside Canada so I'm kinda nervous about the whole trip. :giggle: Any feedbacks or tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Wow, that sounds like fun. It might help if you could provide your itinerary. You going to fly there and then travel by Euro rail or a combination of rail, busses, cruise ship?
For example, (if I was going, I would), when you visit a certain place, read up about it on travel sites and try to visit, eat, etc where the locals go. That would be cheaper and give you a truer look at the people, their culture, etc if you go "off the path" most tourists take. Or will your tours be guided?

There are a lot of possibilities, so it would help if you can show us your itinerary. Have fun!

Wow, that sounds like fun. It might help if you could provide your itinerary. You going to fly there and then travel by Euro rail or a combination of rail, busses, cruise ship?
For example, (if I was going, I would), when you visit a certain place, read up about it on travel sites and try to visit, eat, etc where the locals go. That would be cheaper and give you a truer look at the people, their culture, etc if you go "off the path" most tourists take. Or will your tours be guided?

There are a lot of possibilities, so it would help if you can show us your itinerary. Have fun!

I'm flying there, it's gonna be an overnight flight then take a bus to a hotel. What I want to know.. are there gonna be any problems, are they friendly to American tourists? With a war going on in Iraq, some of the people in my family are worried about my safely.

Make sure you know where US embassies are in that country, and their contact in case of emergencies. Do you have travel insurance?

Make sure you know where US embassies are in that country, and their contact in case of emergencies. Do you have travel insurance?

I do know where they are at and no I do not have travel insurance.

I'm flying there, it's gonna be an overnight flight then take a bus to a hotel. What I want to know.. are there gonna be any problems, are they friendly to American tourists? With a war going on in Iraq, some of the people in my family are worried about my safely.

1. do not worry at all about political issues. most people are always friendly (except Frenchies :laugh2:) and usually go out of the way to help you. They don't give a cahoot about politic and they understand it's not American citizens' fault. It's the government, not people. It's like what most travelers say - "Leave a lasting goodwill impression of an American tourist. Humankind up here has extended their love, home and surroundings in such a way that tourist/foreign visitor has not experienced before. I hope you return this goodwill gesture in kind." Some may have a grudge but use your best judgment.

2. Be courteous and learn a few basic foreign languages for wherever you're going. "Thank you. Hello/Bye. Where is ----? How much?" etc.

3. Before leaving hotel, always talk with front desk for any updated news and information for where you're going.

4. Be smart with your judgment and trust your instinct. For example - try to avoid a rowdy bar at certain location during a certain hour. It might be the ingredient for drunken trouble!

5. Forward any iternary plan to your family member or friends in case anything happens to you (oh... god forbids if it comes to that). Write a list of emergency contact info (US Embassy, etc.) on the card so that it'll fit in your wallet.

6. As you know... because of 9/11 paranoia... educate yourself at TSA site about what you cannot bring on your carry-on luggage. If you're currently using medications, it may be good idea to have a doctor's note with you. You know how it is.... they may think you're a drug dealer/smuggler. :roll:

7. Watch out for naughty pick-pocketers. Obviously - do not bring valuables with you unless it's absolutely necessary.

8. ENJOY AND BE SAFE! TRUST YOUR INSTINCT! :cool2:

I have been mugged twice on 2 different occasions while traveling in Italy - so always watch your wallet! Lesson certainly learnt hard way by me! I have noticed how men would try to flirt with me to distract me from their ultimate goal which was to slip a hand into my fanny pack. :lol:

And never never make it too obvious that you are an American - I always keep myself low profile yet courteous to their cultural norms/values.

Enjoy your adventure!

Thanks Jiro for some great tips. ;)

Wow Gemma :shock: I'm not planning on bringing a lot of money, just what I need to bring. I'll watch my purse. Thanks for that tip.

Thanks Jiro for some great tips. ;)

Wow Gemma :shock: I'm not planning on bringing a lot of money, just what I need to bring. I'll watch my purse. Thanks for that tip.

I don't know how long you're going to be gone for but it's good idea to use several traveler's checks and/or perhaps at least $1,000 cash. Europe is not always like USA. ATMs are not very abundant and/or they charge a bit high fee. Handful of places do not accept credit cards unless you meet minimum price (which is bit high). People love cash. You can ALWAYS bargain for low price especially small shops. We do it all the time.

I forgot one more thing - ALWAYS ALWAYS WATCH OUT and READ CAREFULLY for any FEES at places that exchange currency. Some tourists got SCREWED by hidden high fee when they thought exchange rate was a nice steal but did not realize there was ANOTHER fee (service charge) included. The tourists failed to see a SMALL sign behind the wall which was SLEAZY. It is highly suggestible that you exchange your money at hotel or bank. Do not go to some local place. They are SLEAZY and dishonest!

For example - many local places do like this -
$100 is equivalent to 68 Euros. They will charge you.... say $120 for 68 Euros.. WOW! SOUNDS LIKE A NICE STEAL!! but.... there's a "service fee" for like $50 to exchange it which you will end up with about 50 Euros from $120. Sleazy! (I think my math's wrong but you get the idea)

I do not know what to say but Have fun safe trip!!! :D

I don't know how long you're going to be gone for but it's good idea to use several traveler's checks and/or perhaps at least $1,000 cash. Europe is not always like USA. ATMs are not very abundant and/or they charge a bit high fee. Handful of places do not accept credit cards unless you meet minimum price (which is bit high). People love cash. You can ALWAYS bargain for low price especially small shops. We do it all the time.

I forgot one more thing - ALWAYS ALWAYS WATCH OUT and READ CAREFULLY for any FEES at places that exchange currency. Some tourists got SCREWED by hidden high fee when they thought exchange rate was a nice steal but did not realize there was ANOTHER fee (service charge) included. The tourists failed to see a SMALL sign behind the wall which was SLEAZY. It is highly suggestible that you exchange your money at hotel or bank. Do not go to some local place. They are SLEAZY and dishonest!

Ok I'll do that before I leave the United States. Thanks!! ;)

yeah, Jiro.. airport exchange counters or banks are trustworthy, right?

Cheri, if you are going to an area that has some risks.. I'd invest in travel insurance. I had to get some myself when I was travelling. Check your credit cards to see if they already have you covered with travel insurance. We care about you :)

Gemma, dang... we were warned about gypsy pickpockets, and I did indeed see one in action in Rome in the subway! This lady was carrying a 'baby' (obviously fake and a distraction) and she tried to grab someone's fannypack as she was exiting the train....

Cheri, if you are going to an area that has some risks.. I'd invest in travel insurance. I had to get some myself when I was travelling. Check your credit cards to see if they already have you covered with travel insurance. We care about you :)
I'll look into that. Thanks!! :)

Gemma, dang... we were warned about gypsy pickpockets, and I did indeed see one in action in Rome in the subway! This lady was carrying a 'baby' (obviously fake and a distraction) and she tried to grab someone's fannypack as she was exiting the train....

That's frighten.. :Ohno:

And what do you mean about restrooms in some countries... :confused: Are you saying I gonna use the outdoors?

yeah, Jiro.. airport exchange counters or banks are trustworthy, right?

Sure yes. You just have to be smart and calculate the exchange rate at few places. some places charge just a bit high. some charges at very reasonable rate.

Knowing how blonde you are, I know that men will chase you so try to hide your hair as much as possible. :giggle:

Jiro and Liza are giving excellent advice so there is nothing else I can offer but the most important thing is to have a sense of humor when something goes wrong, dealing with long lines or impatient people. I always made an adventure out of everything in order to keep my sanity :)

Like for example - a year ago while in Mexico, we had to deal with 9 hour of wait at the border line before entering Arizona as the line was dang long. During the 9 hours, I kept myself amused and explored everything while my friends steamed mad in the car. They kept complaining - I say hell with it - lets explore but they refused to get out of the car so I went off on my own and had so much fun exploring and flirting with cute Mexicans.

And what do you mean about restrooms in some countries... :confused: Are you saying I gonna use the outdoors?

:lol: no, no... WC is just another name for 'restroom' in case you need to find public restroom at airports or other places in another country. It seems like some countries do use the word 'WC" ~ It did help a lot knowing what that country's word for 'restroom' was in case I needed to go and this was in a foreign language. :shock: Imagine having to 'go' and you didn't know where cos restroom was a different word in another language?

Cheri, WC is short for "Wash Closet" which is basically a restroom or bathroom.

where are you going?

btw.. I didn't have problems travelling by myself in airports overseas in countries like France and the scandinvanian countries. England's Heathrow airport is really tough! But people usually are helpful.. except for Newark employees *rolls eyes*

The airports in US will make you throw out containers containing liquid that is over 35ml I believe.. if they are in your carryon bags. Throw all your makeup stuff and little stuff into ziploc bags before the security checkpoints... trust me... you'll get through faster... oh they will make you remove your shoes and belts..... so be sure to wear shoes that you can easily remove, and don't wear belts.. lol

:lol: no, no... WC is just another name for 'restroom' in case you need to find public restroom at airports or other places in another country. It seems like some countries do use the word 'WC" ~ It did help a lot knowing what that country's word for 'restroom' was in case I needed to go and this was in a foreign language. :shock: Imagine that?

Ohhhh.. I didn't know that, Thanks!! :laugh2:

You all are so great with giving me tips, suggestions. I wanted to say thanks so much!!

Back