What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Nothing wrong with that at all. People seemed to start ganging up on my when I was just saying what I though. I wasn't condeming anyone for it, I didn't know it was a regular term and wasn't trying to offend anyone.

But it seems like I did (especially Reba).

LOL, Reba is a hearie professional, too!

I am, I was just saying it was an accident. I corrected it before you even posted. I read a lot and in forums when I see that convention (lower case starting a string of caps or words that would be capitalized that begin with lower case letters followed by caps) I can tell it was an acident.

You can tell it was an accident, but you can't tell whether the lower case was the accident, or the upper case was the accident unless it is clarified by the poster.

Nothing wrong with that at all. People seemed to start ganging up on my when I was just saying what I though. I wasn't condeming anyone for it, I didn't know it was a regular term and wasn't trying to offend anyone.

But it seems like I did (especially Reba).
Nah, I'm not offended. Just giving you a heads up of what to expect.

How can I be offended? In addition to being a hearie, I'm also called a terp. And that's my "professional" title! :lol:

Nah, I'm not offended. Just giving you a heads up of what to expect.

How can I be offended? In addition to being a hearie, I'm also called a terp. And that's my "professional" title! :lol:

What about being called a terpie? LOL!!!!

She's a hearie terpie that assists communication between hearies and deafies!
ROFL! How about a word for HOH people like me?

Also, the thread was started by a hearing person, AquaBlue, so really any complaints about the word "hearie" in the title should be taken up with him. I've seen pictures of the guy though, he's kinda big, I wouldn't argue with him. ;)

Ok,, the thing that ticks me off most about hearies is when you don't understand what they said...then they say ..oh never mind and don't tell me and this happens often to me. It makes me feel as if I am not important enough to know what was said. Also, my family or friends who leave me out of conversations and don't make it a point to make sure I heard everything.,..then they wonder why I don't hang out with them or visit them much. Duh?

ROFL! How about a word for HOH people like me?

Also, the thread was started by a hearing person, AquaBlue, so really any complaints about the word "hearie" in the title should be taken up with him. I've seen pictures of the guy though, he's kinda big, I wouldn't argue with him. ;)

How about not quite deafie not quite hearie terpie?

Many enter the deaf culture here and "in real life" talking down to us bumpkins. Most on these missions to explore strange new worlds claim superiority of some sort, and professionalism is as good as any. Most become annoyed, tell us we deserve to remain misguided, and boldly go bother better people.

But those who stay are often surprised at the amount and degree of professionalism within the deaf culture in general and in this site in particular.

At any rate, diversification thrives, and many members will agree with any view opposing anything.

A long-time beekeeper, I take offense at bees in "bonnets." Professionals call the headgear "helmet with veil," and a few bees inside are normal, no need to panic. But that's just me.

I'm back..

wow, this thread has rocketed up a few pages already. while I can understand flight's bitterness about hearie/deafie, I don't take deafie offended. but I have always worried I'd offend a hearie if I say it. at wrong time or wrong place and I don't say it to offend anyone of course.

flight, I think it's how deaf people nicknamed it by mouthing it, heeariee. and I also believe deafie means profoundly deaf. you know, like in ASL - spelling deafIE? or DEAFie.

just like sometimes I'd say, oopies, sorrie! :mrgreen:

now, to answer to the title.. being left out of conversations! unless that friend doesn't know how to sign at all... but sure, you can see if they're trying hard to not leave you out. I get peeved enough to terminate friendship. seriously. because I'd just cry inside. I am -not- responsible to remind my friend to be a friend.

I've had enough, drives me mad. :squish:

Oh, and BTW, all caps is considered yelling.
ohdearnonono, don't go there please. in our culture we use capitals for zillion reasons. captials for all tones. to 'color' the darling black texts in white background. etc. I use capitals a lot to emphasize and I cry/speak angers silently! so many hearies have misunderstood over that and drives me mad.

NUTS. especially when they still debat after an explanation. argh.

but I still like you. :mrgreen:

Many enter the deaf culture here and "in real life" talking down to us bumpkins. Most on these missions to explore strange new worlds claim superiority of some sort, and professionalism is as good as any. Most become annoyed, tell us we deserve to remain misguided, and boldly go bother better people.

But those who stay are often surprised at the amount and degree of professionalism within the deaf culture in general and in this site in particular.

At any rate, diversification thrives, and many members will agree with any view opposing anything.

A long-time beekeeper, I take offense at bees in "bonnets." Professionals call the headgear "helmet with veil," and a few bees inside are normal, no need to panic. But that's just me.

Good post. And once again, your sense of humor is first rate.

ohdearnonono, don't go there please. in our culture we use capitals for zillion reasons. captials for all tones. to 'color' the darling black texts in white background. etc. I use capitals a lot to emphasize and I cry/speak angers silently! so many hearies have misunderstood over that and drives me mad.

NUTS. especially when they still debat after an explanation. argh.
but I still like you. :mrgreen:

Okay. But in this culture, all caps are considered yelling. We adjust our communication according to the reciever's culture, one would hope. It avoids misunderstanding.

And, I still like you, as well!

LOL! That's an apt description of our missionaries who come here to enlighten us to the error of our ways. They're like those Christian missionaries who come to the reservations of American Indians (many of them Christian) to save them from the Devil. There's an an old Indian (Indian Indian - not American Indian) saying that goes "If you think you're enlightened, you're not enlightened."

As for bees in your bonnet, you're quite welcome to them. :P I hated having them buzz over the microphone on my HA. Dunno how I'd feel about them buzing over my CI.

...A long-time beekeeper, I take offense at bees in "bonnets." Professionals call the headgear "helmet with veil," and a few bees inside are normal, no need to panic. But that's just me.
Do you prefer "he's got a bee up his butt"? :rofl:

Okay. But in this culture, all caps are considered yelling. We adjust our communication according to the reciever's culture, one would hope. It avoids misunderstanding.

And, I still like you, as well!
aw, that's a relief. c:)

I understand, totally. but WE write this way, OUR way of writing and this forum says US. you'll find it amazing they didn't understand at all or believed what they wanted to. I swear I have lost hearie friends over that. I guess that's another thing that ticks me off.

Last night, a nurse who said "every four hours" THREE TIMES when discussing the meds! Sheesh! I even nodded to let her know I got the message the first time.

Just becuase I'm deaf doesn't mean I'm either dumb or dead.:dunno2:

what ticks me off about hearies

I talk very good not 100% about 70%

while I work with new co worker
ask me about the file I told her which file she say that file go to payroll I say ok it right there

Then she give me a look saying the other co worker say you are deaf I say yes I am deaf she say to me if I am deaf how come I talk very good I was like oh that I told her because I lost my hearing when i was little girl she say oh but she say to me i don't sound like deaf

one man who I don't really like him.

He ask me where is my boss is I told him she in that office then he copy me what I say I felt that he is make fun of me the way I talk. So when he talk to me again I do like got pen and paper to write him he give me a look and ask my boss why I do that then she told him that he make fun of me the way I talk he told my boss wow she know that I did that to her

Back