What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Sometimes I wonder if the hearing culture have any brains......

A guy cam eup to me to start chatting and I just signed, " I'm Deaf" and smiled.

He looked at me and continued to talk.

I signed again, "I'm Deaf".

He just stood there and looked at me. And started to talk again

I went ahead and walked away. I figure if they can't get a response from me, why stick around?

Sounds like m crazy co-worker. She called today (someone told her I was back in town, UGH!) I knew it was her from the voice, so I just laid the phone down and walked off. Came back 5 minutes later and she was still chatting, LOL.

"Why are you teaching your hearing son sign language, he's not deaf" (my ex mother in law said that to me.) :pissed:
My mother was listening to a radio talk show one time and a mother had called in and asked about using sign with her hearing baby. The doctor on the show said why bother teaching sign the baby is not Deaf.

I was totally shocked that a doctor would say such a thing. I wished I had been in the car, I would have called in.

I can't stand hearing people who ask if I have someone who "takes care of me" or wonders if I'm married to someone who's blind "like me." Arrrgh! :(

what Ticks me the most from "seeing" from the hearings... is Oh poor ya ya not able hear music.. i was like this :rme at them.. i even told them not all music that good is that right?.. and i can read the lyrics..
also i used to work as mechanic and they always asked how can i hear the engine knock, and felt sorry for me and i said I CAN FEEL if it knock or ask a hearie to help me out .. i feel sorry for uneducated hearing people...

It's been an education reading some of these but I guess mostly I'm not surprised because there is so much unawareness of so many things. But aside from a few true assholes (people who would actually make fun of anyone for how they speak - or don't, for example), I think most of the things hearies do just comes from inexperience, or simply unawareness. Most people have good intentions but are simply clueless, and there is always an endless supply of new clueless folks!

Some of what I read really has direct counterparts in the hearing world. I'm a foreigner living in Turkey; back when I was just getting my head around Turkish, people would assume I understood everything. So often, when I missed something, they'd say it again, just as fast, but as loud as possible. (Yeah, I could hear them but I may as well not have been able to.) The impatience when you don't get something, and the "oh never mind" answer sound SO familiar! And another similar one - they hear an accent and immediately start speaking what they call "Tarzanese" here. "You like live Turkey? You learn talk Turkey language good!" And it's so hard to convince them that this doesn't help!

The one that I never thought about was talking and signing (or not signing) at the same time. Since I work as a translator and spent lots of my time in translator mode, I think I'd err in the opposite direction. I've been learning TSL for just a few weeks now but already I catch my hands wanting to sign what I'm talking about when I talk to my hearing housemate. :lol:

I've just started meeting deaf people in Turkey, and as I do, I'm amazed at some of the comments I get from hearing people. Some just show they have never thought about it before ("But how will you communicate?" -Well, there is this thing called signing, people can learn it...) But the one that had me picking up my jaw up off the floor: "Well, just be careful, you know lots of disabled people's sexual orientations change." :shock: I don't even know where to file that one!

All I can say to you, kipourgos, is "tuvalyet nerede?" Which I learned during 3 weeks in Turkey back in 2001. :)

When you are in bed, the hearing person wants to have the lights off when I want to have the light on.....

Afterall we do like to see the expression of pleasure on your faces. :)

doesn't only apply to the Deaf! :giggle::giggle:

1. How a lot of people who can hear often seem to think they know everything about your condition.

2. How a lot of people who can hear are very ignorant and seem to think that you're "retarded" because you wear hearing aids.

3. Sympathy... (I was at a restaurant in Moose Jaw, SK and I don't know how the subject came up, but someone brought up the fact that I'm hard of hearing to the restaurant owner (Hungarian man) and he felt bad for me and insisted I have a free Sprite...)

1. How a lot of people who can hear often seem to think they know everything about your condition.

2. How a lot of people who can hear are very ignorant and seem to think that you're "retarded" because you wear hearing aids.

3. Sympathy... (I was at a restaurant in Moose Jaw, SK and I don't know how the subject came up, but someone brought up the fact that I'm hard of hearing to the restaurant owner (Hungarian man) and he felt bad for me and insisted I have a free Sprite...)

:laugh2: But he wasn't sorry enough to give you a whole free dinner?

:laugh2: But he wasn't sorry enough to give you a whole free dinner?

:lol: LOL! I think he would have, but no offence to him, it looked like he needed the money. His restaurant was empty except for us and the waitress was his daughter who looked about 8. I also accidentally made fun of his wife. :lol: I know this is off topic, but I shall elaborate. I ordered a burger from the menu called "Betty's Burger" and so when I got it, a friend was just joking around with me going "Why'd you take Betty's burger?" I replied jokingly that Betty was getting too fat so I took her burger and sent her to wait in the car until we were finished eating. Apparently the restaurant owner was offended because it was called "Betty's Burger" after his wife, Betty, who cooks for the restaurant. :rofl: Needless to say, I felt bad when I found out!

:lol: LOL! I think he would have, but no offence to him, it looked like he needed the money. His restaurant was empty except for us and the waitress was his daughter who looked about 8. I also accidentally made fun of his wife. :lol: I know this is off topic, but I shall elaborate. I ordered a burger from the menu called "Betty's Burger" and so when I got it, a friend was just joking around with me going "Why'd you take Betty's burger?" I replied jokingly that Betty was getting too fat so I took her burger and sent her to wait in the car until we were finished eating. Apparently the restaurant owner was offended because it was called "Betty's Burger" after his wife, Betty, who cooks for the restaurant. :rofl: Needless to say, I felt bad when I found out!

:laugh2: Well that's a good story!

:giggle: opps lol

Yes, hand over the mouth, chewing gum, cigars, mustaches, mumbling, turning away while talking, talking with mouths full, lights out, sitting in shadowed places, all of these.....plus some people try to get you to maintain eye contact while you are lip-reading, dipping their heads. The lack of eye contact happens when there is either one of the above.

I hate it when people just automatically assume I didn't hear something because I'm HoH. I mean, hearing people hear everything 100% of the time, right? Even when it's in a noisy bar or when they're far away from the person talking. They never say, "what?" or "pardon me?" or anything like that, right? But when I don't hear them, they just automatically assume that it's because of my hearing loss. Sometimes I don't hear something just because I didn't hear it, not because I'm HoH...

i hate hearing people having far far too much control over our lives, its not funny at all, we should legalise d/Deaf people to k#$#&#& BEEP #@*@@*@ the hearings for past torments.

Last edited:
Back