What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

LOL! That's an apt description of our missionaries who come here to enlighten us to the error of our ways. They're like those Christian missionaries who come to the reservations of American Indians (many of them Christian) to save them from the Devil. There's an an old Indian (Indian Indian - not American Indian) saying that goes "If you think you're enlightened, you're not enlightened."

As for bees in your bonnet, you're quite welcome to them. :P I hated having them buzz over the microphone on my HA. Dunno how I'd feel about them buzing over my CI.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for underscoring my obscure rant with the perfect examples of "many members will agree with any view opposing anything."

Every guru and group (including old Indians in India) believe their enlightenment is the one and only true enlightenment. Although I didn't mention religious missionaries, their history certainly gives the term "mission" a distinct stereotype.

When trying to catagorize all of the many different civilizations of pre-Columbian peoples as one and point to their downfall, the Christian missionary is the perfect villian.

Let's skip over the on-going missions of these native civilizations for centuries before and after 1492 to enslave or wipe each other out.

Or the missions of merchant hordes in "the New World" to encourage the previous native mission with barter of liquor, guns, steel knives, etc., for animal pelts and precious metals.

Don't forget the missions of the gold seekers and land grabbers, followed by the military missions to protect miners and settlers. The mission of Manifest Destiny itself was secular in nature and not limited to the United States, as neighbors north and south practiced it.

An actual examination of tribal documents shows many, many tribes sent emissaries (there's that root term again) to ask (beg) for missionaries. The hope, which worked out for far too few tribes, was to seek protection of the missionaries.

But it seems the natives stereotyped as much as everyone else. They supposed all Europians were of one religion, not a plathura of sects (most Christian to be sure) but each different and each thinking its enlightenment was the true enlightenment.

Another all around failure was not to understand the new doctrine of separation of church and state. The different religions could scarcely protect themselves, much less the natives, though many missionaries died trying.

The epilogue that honey and pollination may be okay, but buzzing bees are hateful fits right in. (A bit more historical trivia is the kindest native term for bees, never seen in the Americas until European colonization was "white men's flies," kind of a metaphoric warning. The Gros Ventre were more direct: "crazy-fly-with-sweet-lure.")

The thing I hate most about hearies is that they seem to think hearing aids magically make us hear everything they say. I hate that to no end.

Or when they ask, why don't you wear them in bed? Why don't you wear them in the shower? Stupid crap like that.

The thing I hate most about hearies is that they seem to think hearing aids magically make us hear everything they say. I hate that to no end.

Or when they ask, why don't you wear them in bed? Why don't you wear them in the shower? Stupid crap like that.

How many people would know if you wore HA in bed or shower??

While I tried make a phone call on VRS, some hang up on me.. ugghhh And seem that person don't want to deal with deaf person...

That happens to me many time... Couple days ago, I was calling my auto insurance office to ask a question, a male on other line said"A deaf caller, i don't think so" and hung up on me. I had to call back and they left their phone ringing for over 2 mins and a woman answered, eventually i ask who was just on this phone and gave me his name. Then i blew out on VRS (which i warned early) about never never do that again and i was this close enough to roar my car over to that office to blow up at this guy so i told them to take any friggin'.calls important unless it was a scam.... Grr dumb ppl who hang up on deaf ppl after they hear the word deaf or even 'vrs'

Welcome Paul! You will find that many people don't like the term "deaf mute" because for most of us, it is inaccurate. Unless something has damaged their vocal cords, all deaf people can make sounds. Some prefer not to speak, but others can speak just fine, and some can speak so well, you'd never guess they were deaf! So "mute" isn't a very accurate or welcome term these days. You can just call us "deaf" and "hard of hearing" - nobody will be offended by that. Glad to see this thread has been helpful to you though!

Yeah, Paul, Etoile is right. Deaf mute is not really liked by the deaf community... I don't use my voice. I am very shy about it and I don't want to. I still dislike it when people call me deaf mute... I mean I still talk with my hands... To me, mute is more general term for somebody who doesn't talk at ALL.

I just thought of something else that REALLY bugs me...

I used to work at a grocery store. When I am walking around, doing "reshops" (where I put unwanted items back on shelves), customers often will stop me and ask me a question. I would about to tell them that I can't hear, the other worker would cut me off ALL the time. And I hate hate hate that!!!!!

Has anybody ever experienced this?

Inquiring minds (me) want to know.
Few things bother me as much. But some that did was just some word usages.. For example. Hey what sounds good for dinner? Or did you hear about? Things like that. As if they are throwing it in your face. lol I know now that most aren't but sometimes it feels that way.. Others is when they yell. I am deaf not hard of hearing. So no matter how loud you yell it won't help.. How ever I do read lips and yelling doesn't help when your reading lips. Neither does talking real slow. Or over mouthing things. Oh another thing unless it's up real loud so I can feel it. Don't ask me how I like this song when in a car etc. lol

Pitying me and also false admiration "how well you cope!". They do go away if you don't act like a pious, bravely suffering saint!

Pitying me and also false admiration "how well you cope!". They do go away if you don't act like a pious, bravely suffering saint!

I pretty much do the pious and brave St. Chase act, because the patronizer is usually out of hearing range by the time I process what is said and think of a withering response. Maybe that's a good thing.

Elsewhere, someone just commented how I write well for a deaf person. Ha ha ha, that's like some guy trying to be complimentary to a female friend by saying, "You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

It seems what we do is always measured against an absent sense.

I pretty much do the pious and brave St. Chase act, because the patronizer is usually out of hearing range by the time I process what is said and think of a withering response. Maybe that's a good thing.

Elsewhere, someone just commented how I write well for a deaf person. Ha ha ha, that's like some guy trying to be complimentary to a female friend by saying, "You don't sweat much for a fat girl."

It seems what we do is always measured against an absent sense.

:lol: I claim less saintly. I might tell my withering response later. Also forgot people who would take my handicap for themselves if they could.:dizzy:

What i dislike about hearing people(although i am hearing) so much is when they know someone is Deaf or hard of hearing they try to speak slower or act like Deaf people are retarded, pisses me off!

slickpapa2002, yea i can tell what were they doing when i was in hearing crowd or wherever those places i am at.. i was like rme! i hope they learn lesson later when something happen to them as HIT! ( not hiting someone) , you know i mean

slickpapa2002, yea i can tell what were they doing when i was in hearing crowd or wherever those places i am at.. i was like rme! i hope they learn lesson later when something happen to them as HIT! ( not hiting someone) , you know i mean
lol yah i know what you mean, sometime ignorance needs a slap inn the face though!

when they have shitty taste in music and advertise it with shitty band shirts and hoodies and shoes and necklaces and body wash and other ridiculous paraphernalia.

Or they start asking stupid questions - for a 4 year they would be fine, but for an adult I just have to drop my jaw.

For example: I know your'e deaf, but can you really hear anything?

Are you allowed to drive?

Can you live alone?

You cant be deaf because you listen to music!

There's always a new one. But oddly enough - I just let my deafness be a part of me and no one was bothered by it, or at least I think. I didnt receive any direct comments on my deafness. But I did do some signs in response to a youtube video that would have not gone over well verbally and the lady turns around and says 'Do you know sign?'

Yes.

Well I know some like 'Thankyou' (signs sorry instead). I kindly corrected her and then she turned red and changed the conversation.

Few things bother me as much. But some that did was just some word usages.. For example. Hey what sounds good for dinner? Or did you hear about? Things like that. As if they are throwing it in your face. lol I know now that most aren't but sometimes it feels that way..
I will be honest, you are the first time I knew someone who didn't like that. Most d/hh people I know (myself included) don't care at all if someone says "that sounds like a good idea" or anything similar. In fact pretty much everyone I know says that kind of thing too!

Blind people are the same way..."What looks good for dinner" and "Did you see that news article about..." are not usually considered offensive.

I guess I am just surprised, because nobody I have met before has expressed what you did. I understand your feelings, so I am careful in this post not to use words that will hurt you, but again I am just surprised.

i hate it when hering people PRETENDS to not hear, its like they thinks I can't figure out how well they can hear and decide not to respond in so doing to cover their intend to be rude!

Back