What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greek for Christ = Χριστός

But so far the -only- reason, is because the bible says so...

Maybe the Council of Nicea were homophobes...

Maybe the original law (in Genesis and Leviticus) was used to elevate the status of woman from brood mare to sexual partner...

Anthropologist (even religious ones, and ones working for particular religious sects) seem to agree that Homosexuality was the -original- Normal... it was very common in the ancient world... one of the reasons that the status of females was so low- the men were taking pleasure in other men... they only needed a woman to breed...

So -besides- 'the bible says so- why does anyone think its their business... even thought the bible says so, isn't that for G-d to do?

But so far the -only- reason, is because the bible says so...

Maybe the Council of Nicea were homophobes...
Maybe not.

Maybe the original law (in Genesis and Leviticus) was used to elevate the status of woman from brood mare to sexual partner...
Maybe not.

God created woman as a partner for man, not a brood mare. It was later societies that devalued women.

Anthropologist (even religious ones, and ones working for particular religious sects) seem to agree that Homosexuality was the -original-Normal...
So you say.

it was very common in the ancient world...
So were all kinds of despicable acts. Just because a behavior is common doesn't mean it's normal.

one of the reasons that the status of females was so low- the men were taking pleasure in other men... they only needed a woman to breed...
So you say.

So -besides- 'the bible says so- why does anyone think its their business... even thought the bible says so, isn't that for G-d to do?
It's my business in that I and my family have to live in this society too, and we have a right to have a say about it.

It's my business in that I and my family have to live in this society too, and we have a right to have a say about it.

How arrogant. It is not any of your business. They don't make it their business to dictate your lifestyle. Yet you believe you have a right to dictate their lifestyles.

Two gay people getting married really has no effect on other people's lives so what is the big deal? How does that affect your marriage?

How arrogant. It is not any of your business. They don't make it their business to dictate your lifestyle. Yet you believe you have a right to dictate their lifestyles.

:-o

People who want to claim that marriage is a sacred religious bond between a man and a woman: Why is it legal for two straight atheists to go to Vegas, get married by an Elvis impersonator, and later get divorced? Yet it's illegal for two people of the same sex, who are deeply in love and have truly committed to each other, to marry? How will the second devalue marriage any more than the first?

People who want to claim that marriage is a sacred religious bond between a man and a woman: Why is it legal for two straight atheists to go to Vegas, get married by an Elvis impersonator, and later get divorced? Yet it's illegal for two people of the same sex, who are deeply in love and have truly committed to each other, to marry? How will the second devalue marriage any more than the first?
Neither of your examples are what God wants. God established holy matrimony to be one man and one woman, until death do them part.

Legality is up to the state. Sacredness is up to God. They aren't the same thing. Lots of things are legal that aren't holy.

I have a right to vote when these issues come up at election. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I believe one way about marriage, and then vote another way.

Again Reba, Nancy and Karen have an AMAZING realtionship. Same with my uncles. The ONLY difference between a gay relationship and a straight realtionship is the fact that they're both male or female. God created love, God is LOVE. He doesn't discriminate!

Well, any definition of normal I know mean what the majority practice. What is right according to G-d and is not right according to G-d ... is none of my bussiness to enforce when it isn't hurting anyone.

I'd try to stop someone from being beaten to death ... from stealing, but not being in love...

Adultry is the physical (or mental) act of sex with one you are not married to... so the worst homosexuals are doing is adultry...

"May he without sin, cast the first stone"... Jesus teaches love and acceptance ... not hate and fearmongering... either you do not throw stones by the example of Christ ... or you do condem others even in guilt...

This is what turns people away from Jesus... I'm a better wittness whne I'm not condeming others... "Remove the log from thine own eye, before the speck in your own"

( stupid nook color is responsable for spelling errors and typos )

Which scripture are you referencing when you claim that God does not discriminate? I am having trouble finding it. (I mean, the whole point of the Israelis being the "chosen" people kind of tips his hand doesn't it?)

But .... I did find this.

History of Marriage in Western Civilization

hmmm ... families being brought together for procreation ....

so ... since the whole foundation of marriage is religious based, what right does the government have to interfere? That has not been answered.

so ... since the whole foundation of marriage is religious based, what right does the government have to interfere? That has not been answered.

I have, however, made the point that even if marriage has a religious basis, it is now a legal thing. If people just want a religious ceremony, they can knock themselves out. But what we're talking about is legal marriage, and all the legal rights that come with it.

I've said this already, and I guess I'll say it again... if marriage is a religious thing, how can atheists get married? How can people have secular ceremonies? Why do some marry in courthouses? Why can't gay people have those rights?

If its just the religious aspect you're concerned about, then would you be happy if gay people did have legally recognized marriages that just didnt take place in your church?

HOW ARROGANT!!! Anything made legal dictates ALL people's lifestyle. For example lets say tomorrow it becomes legal for all people to walk around in the nude everywhere. Those who are uncomfortable with nudity will be FORCE to alter their lifestyle. Anything made legal becomes the business of all and, therefore, their lifestyle is being dictated by the majority.

HOW ARROGANT!!! Anything made legal dictates ALL people's lifestyle. For example lets say tomorrow it becomes legal for all people to walk around in the nude everywhere. Those who are uncomfortable with nudity will be FORCE to alter their lifestyle. Anything made legal becomes the business of all and, therefore, their lifestyle is being dictated by the majority.

Big difference you and others keep forgetting.

Making gay marriage legal doesn't dictate that you and your religious buddies marry someone of the same sex.

So what's all the screaming for? Last time I looked gay people don't interfere with other people's lives behind the bedroom doors.

Geez at some of the reasoning here.

If its just the religious aspect you're concerned about, then would you be happy if gay people did have legally recognized marriages that just didnt take place in your church?

They don't care because they think they own the concept of marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back