What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed some make comments backing up with a Bible verse
It's more than just one verse. God repeated the one man and one woman, one groom and one bride standard many times in the Bible, from Genesis thru Revelation.

my only issue is the mosiac law was done away with
No, the Mosaic Law wasn't "done away with."

Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

and Jesus set a wonderful example of 2 greatest commands, to love your neighbor as yourself and to love God.
"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it , Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

I don't see alot of that among all religions.
Not all religions follow the Bible.

Isn't it being hypocrites judging others when they should be concerned about themselves ? Just a thought.
A hypocrite is someone who says one thing but does another. There is nothing hypocritical about judging sin as long as the person judges himself the same way first.

A few random comments/remarks. What does it say that gay people are willing to pay more in taxes to be married? Some heterosexual people already engage in sham marriages for benefits, so do some homosexual people (by marrying heterosexual people (who wants to be that woman married to a closet case? any volunteers?), or a 2 gay guys marrying 2 gay gals, or...I'm not too good at coming up with ways to bilk the system).

Your last point is theoretically possible (civil unions for all, marriage for none), but who's willing to give up their marriage licenses? I think we'd find a lot more people upset about there being no marriage licenses than people upset that gay people are allowed marriage licenses. There is power in a word. And there would still need to be a means of dissolving the relationship in the eyes of the law. Say two people get "civil union"ed, that means one person gets to make the other person's medical decisions if they get too sick. We need a way to un"civil union" people in case one of the two turns out to be an abuser or something nasty like that. And we already have a system set up for that, marriage and divorce.

I don't understand your first paragraph. Gay people aren't paying more in taxes to be married, they are paying less taxes once they are married.
If gay people are in sham marriages just like heterosexual people, that is bilking the system. I'm not saying they are not entitled to it either, they've been paying taxes(if this is what you mean) and not getting the benefit which is wrong. In that case, I can understand it. Otherwise, I don't understand the argument/comment of the first paragraph.

Everyone would(theoretically) give up the license, because the license, in reality, isn't a binding marriage, it's just a remedy for one. Legal marriage is a way of keeping people together, call it whatever you want, and it is only a legal remedy which is made attractive so people will stay together(something humans have been doing since they evolved). If you want to look at marriage in a moral/religious sense(as those who complain will) the paper the license is printed on means nothing because it is a spiritual act so those people have no argument. Whether marriage licenses go away or not the remedy will never go away because it is there for legal not spiritual reasons.

I think we need a better remedy and as you say, all inclusive civil unions would handle it, IMO.

.There it is, in a nutshell.

In a nut shell, religion has been deviating pretty heavily lately, in case you haven't been reading the papers. Oh, but wait, I forgot they cleared all that up by blaming it on the sixties.

Controversial Study Links Catholic Abuse to '60s Culture and Church Hierarchy but Offers Few Solutions

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2072574,00.html

I knew there was a good reason for it.

:crazy:

Ok... ok... Love the sinner, hate the sin...

Not -that- hard...

'Mommy why are Billy and Freddie married if the Bible says....'

'Sweetheart its because they choose that, like daddy chooses to break the speed limit sometimes...'

'Is it the same?'

'Yes, because the bible says, (paraphrased Follow the laws of your land)'
Romans 13:1-7
James 2:12 (kind of, out of context)
Romans 13:2
Romans 2:1-29

'So daddy speeding is the same as gay marriage?'

'According to the bible yes, maybe...beacuse any sin separates us from G-D- the bible is the word of G-d and He tells us to follow the laws of the land'

'So is daddy going to H-ll?'

'No sweetheart, daddy you and I are going to Heaven because we believe in Jesus and accepted him as our Savior.'

'So are Billy and Freddie going to H-ll?'

'Depends, are the Saved?'

'Yes, they love Jesus a lot but can't go to church because of all the people there...'

'Well, there you go sweetheart... there you go...'

Here's one of the 'vs' homosexuality scripts - 1 Corinthians 6:9 there are others.

Last edited:
Please note, the original question was:

"Why are some people against this?"

Some people do believe in God, and do believe the Bible, and do follow what God says in the Bible. That's why some people are against same-sex marriage.

It has nothing to do with believing themselves to be most important bosses of everything. They don't.

Reba, That's nice, but except for believeing that Jesus is the savior, virtually NO churches have a conscuious on what they believe. Every single deonomination believes something different. So who is right? You know the same people who were anti interacial marriage (and a lot of those people used Biblical justification for their beliefs) forty years ago, are the same ones who think that being gay is teh EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you know quite frankly......My second mom is involved in one of the most amazing realtionships in the universe. If the realtionship was with a man, the focus on your own damn family types would be lauding her realtionship. Yet b/c she loves a woman, it's automaticly horrible, evil and against God?!?!? Why ANYONE would think that was horrible or against God is beyond me.

Because a long time ago a bunch of bigot men who didn't want equality for all, not for women, etc etc ... sat down with the scriptures that were known to that point, being still told orally and written down (more recently) and picked through the whole thing and decided what would and wouldn't be in the bible...

This is not counting the mistranslations from Hebrew or Aramaic or Greek
(example eye for an eye- the Hebrew tradition is if you cause the loss of use in a body part, you -become- that body part for the victim... you stuck out an eye, you are now a sighted-guide...)

some was 'set aside' (apocrypha) some was destroyed ... some was voted down to 'urban legend status' ...

But anyhow as the OT/ Torah Law was -NOT- 'revoked' there's a lot of things (see all of Leviticus) that are 'sins' or cause one to become 'unclean' for a period of time ...

sin is the separation of someone from G-d, being 'unclean' separates one from G-d... so being 'unclean' (by choice, not by just being on menstruation as an example) is a sin...

wearing cloth made of twp types? Busted...

thought about sex with someone you are not married to- busted...

Disobeyed your parents...ever? -busted...

Have self harm in some way? (cutting, smoking, drugs, etc) -busted

(this list could go on and on...)

Some people know what they are doing is considered a sin, some people think only bits of the bible are 'correct' - considering the Greatest Commandment... Matthew 22:36-40

Stop spreading, hate, discord and causing people to turn away from G-d... Spread Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness, Gentleness... model Faithfulness and self-control...

The Bible -allows- Slavery (for 7 years, and or 49 years depending (see year of Jubilee)) is slavery right? You (whatever hypothetical you there is) would be OK with your kids/grandkids being sold into slavery for ... a car... or to pay a debt???

The bible allows someone (the woman) caught 'in adultery' to be stoned... now Jesus showed a point about this... but the bible still allows this...

The truth is, the Christians have no business telling anyone what they can do and what they cannot. The same goes for all of the people of other religions.

The truth is, that marriage is fundamentally a religious ceremony and the government has no business poking their nose in religious affairs ... period.

The truth is, that marriage is fundamentally a religious ceremony and the government has no business poking their nose in religious affairs ... period.

A marriage is a formal union between two partners, and recognized by the government.

Christians didn't invent the concept.

Can anybody tell me why children have to be taken from gay families? For what reasons?

Then how can atheists get married? How can people get married in a courthouse instead of a church?

:hmm:

Marriage is just a claim made about each other.

"Allowing same sex marriages will lead public educators to teach children that same sex marriages is NORMAL."

Oh really? This is rather a huge leap in trying to connect 'A' to 'Z'. But, putting aside the whole argument of whether gays should be allowed to marry or not ... Since when have public educators been given the role of teaching children what is "normal" when it comes to marriage and family? Passing on those kinds of judgements or encouraging children to judge others is NOT the role (nor the desire) of any respectable educator. Their job is to OPEN minds and to dissuade judgement of others who are different. The day I discover that public educators are teaching how children should define "normal", is the day I will be ashamed of calling myself - and now my daughter - a teacher.

The truth is, the Christians have no business telling anyone what they can do and what they cannot. The same goes for all of the people of other religions.

werd. you hear xtians bitching about sharia law all the time. They should listen to their point

People's beliefs do influence which candidates they support and how they vote.

Dictate? No. Campaign and vote? Yes.

Each American gets one vote.

if things got crazy and people voted to bring back slavery, would it be right?

if things got crazy and people voted to bring back slavery, would it be right?
Now you're being absurd.

You asked why some people object to same-sex marriage, and I gave my opinion. For whatever reason, other posters, and now you, have diverted the thread into a religious debate. I'm not going to get sucked into it and get banned or have the thread locked.

I thought you sincerely wanted to know the reasons why some people object to same-sex marriage but I guess I was wrong.

Now you're being absurd.

You asked why some people object to same-sex marriage, and I gave my opinion. For whatever reason, other posters, and now you, have diverted the thread into a religious debate. I'm not going to get sucked into it and get banned or have the thread locked.

I thought you sincerely wanted to know the reasons why some people object to same-sex marriage but I guess I was wrong.

Actually, I think it is a valid question because in both cases people with a certain trait are seen as not considered equal. So, in regard to the question of objection to same-sex-marriage, it is relevant.

werd. you hear xtians bitching about sharia law all the time. They should listen to their point

Yep. :)

I don't often see people using the latin letter for Christ like you just did. A lot of often often mistake Xmas for being a way of removing Christ from Christmas.

Yep. :)

I don't often see people using the latin letter for Christ like you just did. A lot of often often mistake Xmas for being a way of removing Christ from Christmas.

Interesting, I did not know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back