What Is the Big Deal With Gay Marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is, the Christians have no business telling anyone what they can do and what they cannot. The same goes for all of the people of other religions.

This assumes belief in God, assumes everyone follows Christian laws, assumes bible ONLY answer. This not true. Christianity is to world religion what the USA is to world countries...the egocentric minority who believes themselves most important, only correct, boss of everything.
Please note, the original question was:

"Why are some people against this?"

Some people do believe in God, and do believe the Bible, and do follow what God says in the Bible. That's why some people are against same-sex marriage.

It has nothing to do with believing themselves to be most important bosses of everything. They don't.

Please note, the original question was:

"Why are some people against this?"

Some people do believe in God, and do believe the Bible, and do follow what God says in the Bible. That's why some people are against same-sex marriage.

It has nothing to do with believing themselves to be most important bosses of everything. They don't.

You can believe in what you want to, but it shouldn't influence the law. When the people take their beliefs to the level where it affects everyone on a daily basis, that's when it becomes a problem. They are the one who believe they have the authority to dictate the society and the law.

The truth is, the Christians have no business telling anyone what they can do and what they cannot. The same goes for all of the people of other religions.
In the USA, Christians, like all Americans, have every right to speak up about their beliefs. They have every right to campaign and vote. They have every right to preach from their pulpits. American Christians have the right to call sin, sin. Obviously, they can't stop people from sinning.

As Americans, they don't have the right to break laws without consequence.

You can believe in what you want to, but it shouldn't influence the law.
People's beliefs do influence which candidates they support and how they vote.

When the people take their beliefs to the level where it affects everyone on a daily basis, that's when it becomes a problem. They are the one who believe they have the authority to dictate the society and the law.
Dictate? No. Campaign and vote? Yes.

Each American gets one vote.

In the USA, Christians, like all Americans, have every right to speak up about their beliefs. They have every right to campaign and vote. They have every right to preach from their pulpits. American Christians have the right to call sin, sin. Obviously, they can't stop people from sinning.

As Americans, they don't have the right to break laws without consequence.

They have the right to voice their beliefs, but they do not have the right to violate anyone's human rights.

They have the right to voice their beliefs, but they do not have the right to violate anyone's human rights.

marriage is not part of human rights.

I've got nothing against gay marriage itself and I think all the religious and moral reasons are dumb.

Although, I do think the people who want it don't realize they are in a better position without it. Once you have marriage, you also have divorce and just ask any divorced bread winner, who was married, how they liked it.

Beyond that, the only problem I see with gay marriage is how you regulate it. How do you determine two straight people are not bilking the system for health benefit and tax reduction? It works into a significant amount of money. The answer is, you can't. You just have to go on faith and I don't have much faith in people not screwing the system.

So basically we now have a law that says anyone can be a couple. Fine, I'm all for that as well, but I think the law should read anyone can be a couple. I'd like to have the woman I'm friends with on my health insurance and I'd like to get money back from taxes too. Single people like myself are footing the bill for this country. I don't get to claim a step 10 on my taxes.

I say we make a law that you don't have to be married to get those benefits. This will solve the problem of divorce; people will be a lot happier and we won't be having these discussions about who sleeps with who.

A few random comments/remarks. What does it say that gay people are willing to pay more in taxes to be married? Some heterosexual people already engage in sham marriages for benefits, so do some homosexual people (by marrying heterosexual people (who wants to be that woman married to a closet case? any volunteers?), or a 2 gay guys marrying 2 gay gals, or...I'm not too good at coming up with ways to bilk the system).

Your last point is theoretically possible (civil unions for all, marriage for none), but who's willing to give up their marriage licenses? I think we'd find a lot more people upset about there being no marriage licenses than people upset that gay people are allowed marriage licenses. There is power in a word. And there would still need to be a means of dissolving the relationship in the eyes of the law. Say two people get "civil union"ed, that means one person gets to make the other person's medical decisions if they get too sick. We need a way to un"civil union" people in case one of the two turns out to be an abuser or something nasty like that. And we already have a system set up for that, marriage and divorce.

they are free to love whoever.

Certainly I am free to love whomever I want to and I'm working such that should I become married in the future it will be recognized by the government. Support continues to rise as people get to know gay people are normal and as people who are staunchly opposed age out of politics. I'm under no illusions there will be 100% acceptance, some people still don't support interracial marriage, some people don't like their children's opposite sexed spouse, but that's ok. Best response is for us to live happy and be married :cool2:

Would somebody care to tell me why my health care decisions should be determined by my parents and not the man whom I love?

individual beliefs based on a religious viewpoint have no place as legal determinant for a whole

Why are some people against this? For example, lets say 2 gay people youve never met and most likely never will meet, decide to get married. What business is it of yours? Why would you even care?

Why are some people against this?

1) They are bigots?
2) They are ultra religious and think that keeping same sex couples from marrying that they will 'preserve' the family...
3) They are noisy busybodies...
4) ALL OF THE ABOVE
----
It's none of my business...
I wouldn't care...

As a side note I know of churches/places of worship (irrespective of type) that will allow a same sex 'life-promise' which before God and assembles guest ends up being all -but- a legal marriage.

My personal beliefs end at MY body. It governs what -I- choose to do with my body, what I will and won't put in it... What is and isn't appropriate to say and do... for ME.

I noticed some make comments backing up with a Bible verse, my only issue is the mosiac law was done away with, and Jesus set a wonderful example of 2 greatest commands, to love your neighbor as yourself and to love God. I don't see alot of that among all religions. Isn't it being hypocrites judging others when they should be concerned about themselves ? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back